Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Links Directory > United States Prison Links > Inmate Book s and Magazines
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Submit A Link Link To Us What's New What's Popular Search

Books To Prisoners Link Options
Report to Moderator Old 04-06-2009 01:53 PM
URL: http://www.bookstoprisoners.net
Physical Address: c/o Left Bank Books
92 Pike Street, Box A
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone Number: 206-442-2013
Contact Email: [email]bookstoprisoners@cs.com
Contact Name:: Andy Chan
Description:
Books To Prisoners (BTP) is a Seattle-based, all-volunteer, nonprofit organization that sends books to prisoners in the United States. BTP believes that books are tools for learning and opening minds to new ideas and possibilities. By sending books to prisoners, we hope to foster a love of reading and encourage the pursuit of knowledge and self-improvement.
Founded in the early 1970s and sponsored by Left Banks Books, BTP receives 600 to 800 requests for books each month. Volunteers work two evenings a week opening letters, finding books in our collection that correspond to the request, and wrapping and mailing parcels. Because of continuing backlog of requests, prisoners sometimes wait up to six months to receive their books.
Prisoners request a variety of books. Most prisons accept paperback books only. The most popular requests are dictionaries, thesauruses, African American history and fiction, Native American studies, legal material, GED materials, and languages (particularly Spanish.) Other common requests include fiction, vocational-technical manuals, politics, anthropology, art and drawing, psychology, and health and fitness.
Category: Inmate Book s and Magazines
Tags: books to prisoners literacy education reading higher GED vocational bookstoprisoner
Views: 2,754
User: apaxton (View All of apaxton's Links)
Replies: 3
Send to Friend

Replies to Link: Books To Prisoners
  #1   Report Post  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Books To Prisoners

I am interested in this program. I am a former teacher and accused of a crime of a sexual nature with a child. I will be serving a sentence (I do not know how long yet-I find out July 20) but I have taught for nearly 23 years, I love to read and will be incarcerated at the OHio Reformatory for Women. What should I do next? I expect to arrive there toward the end of July and I know I will be in the "reception" period for awhile. Reading will definitely help me to pass the time, plus people have told me for years, "you should write a book" so that is what I am going to attempt to start to do. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Report Post  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Hello

I am an ex-inmate of MCI Framingham Massachusetts Women's prison. I wrote a book and I would like to know how I can have it distributed to prisons.

Many thanks!
  #3   Report Post  
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM

are inmates in charge for signing up? i looked for a page to submit an inmate for the program, but failed. lol new to this. trying to help my best friend out to rebuild his life and make his prison stay as positive as possible!!