Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Covid -19 (Corona Virus) (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1719)
-   -   Inmates sue Oregon DOC (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722119)

GingerM 04-11-2020 10:01 AM

Inmates sue Oregon DOC
 
https://www.opb.org/news/article/ore...ovid-response/

GingerM 09-14-2020 04:36 PM

Lawsuit re: Covid 19
 
A lawsuit is in progress, put together by inmates, for the lack of Covid 19 precautions being taken. I'll try to update as information arrives.

RaeLR 09-14-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerM (Post 7826688)
A lawsuit is in progress, put together by inmates, for the lack of Covid 19 precautions being taken. I'll try to update as information arrives.

Thanks for this info. There have been few precautions taken at OSP...

GingerM 09-15-2020 12:55 PM

Right now, Snake River is the worst of the prisons. They're considered a "hot spot" and are finally starting to test everyone, AIC and staff alike.

RaeLR 09-16-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerM (Post 7826731)
Right now, Snake River is the worst of the prisons. They're considered a "hot spot" and are finally starting to test everyone, AIC and staff alike.

They just took 1,400 prisoners from three facilities to OSP because of the fires and it was a circus. Not enough room, fights, food delays and lockdowns. It will be interesting to see how many new cases they get from people sleeping shoulder to shoulder...

Visitor611 09-16-2020 10:06 PM

I've had to deal with this too. CCCF had an inmate test positive as part of her release plan while they were evacuating to Deer Ridge. She had already intermingled with other inmates before they sent her back. Now, on type of fires, the smoke, now I have to deal with this. I don't know what other options they had though. What could have been better? What happens if that fire got close? This is all just a beating to deal with as we now approach 7 months without visitation.

RaeLR 09-17-2020 08:13 PM

Visitor, I hear you. This has been a tough one!!! They have been on lockdown since the new guests arrived because of the rioting, so I am lucky to get an email every day. There has been a lot of stress this year, for sure. Shows how tough we all are:)))) A good opportunity to practice unconditional love:)))))

Visitor611 09-17-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaeLR (Post 7826862)
Visitor, I hear you. This has been a tough one!!! They have been on lockdown since the new guests arrived because of the rioting, so I am lucky to get an email every day. There has been a lot of stress this year, for sure. Shows how tough we all are:)))) A good opportunity to practice unconditional love:)))))

There's been a lot of people to criticize DOC for the last 2 weeks, but Oregon doesn't have dozens of prisons, and they have one female one. I get that it sucked, but moving 3000 people at various times in close proximity is a monumental challenge, and they did it with 48 hours of prep time. Add with where we are at with commutation now, and I barely function through each day. Can we not see our people through glass? I'm so beaten down.

GingerM 09-18-2020 08:11 AM

I'm missing my visits with the guys as well, Visitor. But I'm trying very hard to focus on the positive - at least they didn't end up victims of the fires.

Now if we could get the staff and all inmates to wear masks...

RaeLR 09-18-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7826864)
There's been a lot of people to criticize DOC for the last 2 weeks, but Oregon doesn't have dozens of prisons, and they have one female one. I get that it sucked, but moving 3000 people at various times in close proximity is a monumental challenge, and they did it with 48 hours of prep time. Add with where we are at with commutation now, and I barely function through each day. Can we not see our people through glass? I'm so beaten down.

Stay strong, this too will pass. I hate the new email system because it is much slower but it is what it is. He doesn't have phone time right now because they are locked down and it seems to just get more and more difficult to communicate (we started the year with him in the hole). I decided to deal with the stress by planning Christmas. Want to join me? I am coming up with some fun ideas to implement because, hopefully, things are better by then. And, if they are not, then my love will get some joy in his life. Let's hatch plots:))))

Visitor611 09-19-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaeLR (Post 7826891)
Stay strong, this too will pass. I hate the new email system because it is much slower but it is what it is. He doesn't have phone time right now because they are locked down and it seems to just get more and more difficult to communicate (we started the year with him in the hole). I decided to deal with the stress by planning Christmas. Want to join me? I am coming up with some fun ideas to implement because, hopefully, things are better by then. And, if they are not, then my love will get some joy in his life. Let's hatch plots:))))

You experience something different. A vast majority of our messages are delivered within 10 minutes of it being sent. I'm assuming because its the smaller number. Someone at each facility has to approve everything I'm guessing. This is what I feel like the world is doing to me :poke:. This wasn't awful when we spent 5 nights in the plain ass visiting room a week. You are already planning christmas?! What did you have in mind? With how Oregon is on its phased reopening, I have this feeling we aren't going to get visits until a vaccine comes out.

RaeLR 09-19-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7826911)
You experience something different. A vast majority of our messages are delivered within 10 minutes of it being sent. I'm assuming because its the smaller number. Someone at each facility has to approve everything I'm guessing. This is what I feel like the world is doing to me :poke:. This wasn't awful when we spent 5 nights in the plain ass visiting room a week. You are already planning christmas?! What did you have in mind? With how Oregon is on its phased reopening, I have this feeling we aren't going to get visits until a vaccine comes out.

I think you could be right about visits. Depressing. I always plan for a great Christmas and somehow it never pans out (last year he was in the hole) but I keep trying. I want to send something every day, pics, card, thoughts, maybe puzzle pieces with some message, etc., during the month of December. I decided to start getting stuff together early because it gives me something to smile about. I was also thinking to look over the commissary list and find some recipes of things they can make in there with the ingredients. I sent a prison cookbook a couple of years ago and the guys pooled their resources to make a big Christmas meal (didn't work either because they ended up in lockdown). I don't know if you send her racy photos but, if you do, then maybe that's the thing you can give her every day:)))) I can't get racy letters past the mailroom or I would write one hell of a Christmas story. Haha. This is definitely not the life for the faint of heart. Stay strong, this will pass... Put on your thinking cap and start having some fun!!!

*Precious* 10-16-2020 11:13 PM

my guy's celly made it on the governor's list and has been recommended for early release, going home in a month!! apparently the sentence he'd originally received was totally disproportionate to the crime (surprise, surprise!).

at least they are taking some measures in response to the lawsuits that have arisen.

GingerM 10-17-2020 07:05 AM

Congrats!!!

*Precious* 11-19-2020 06:43 PM

approval delay!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerM (Post 7828071)
Congrats!!!

last week, my guy's celly was told that the approval hasn't been signed off yet, maybe this week... even though he was told weeks ago that he'd be released today. :/

in another turn of events, my guy might also be released pretty quick as well when we thought we had months to go still!!! :D:boogie::rolleyes:so much to prepare for and try to figure out. ideally, i'd love if we could get him to canada but there are some barriers to that ever happening, never mind the cross-border restrictions under the pandemic. but we know we have much to look forward to regardless!! :heart::lovestruck::heart::yay:

Visitor611 11-19-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Precious* (Post 7828773)
last week, my guy's celly was told that the approval hasn't been signed off yet, maybe this week... even though he was told weeks ago that he'd be released today. :/

in another turn of events, my guy might also be released pretty quick as well when we thought we had months to go still!!! :D:boogie::rolleyes:so much to prepare for and try to figure out. ideally, i'd love if we could get him to canada but there are some barriers to that ever happening, never mind the cross-border restrictions under the pandemic. but we know we have much to look forward to regardless!! :heart::lovestruck::heart::yay:

Yep, my wife was supposed to be today. She's been told that its a Thursday in December. Super helpful.

*Precious* 11-19-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7828787)
Yep, my wife was supposed to be today. She's been told that its a Thursday in December. Super helpful.

oof! sorry to hear it!!! hang in there!!! i hope you and she are holding to the gift that will be in your reunion!!! :heart:

even if no approval is forthcoming that will see my guy out this year under the early release orders... his new release date is still appreciated, cutting our remaining time in half! :rolleyes: we'll take it!

Visitor611 11-19-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Precious* (Post 7828788)
oof! sorry to hear it!!! hang in there!!! i hope you and she are holding to the gift that will be in your reunion!!! :heart:

even if no approval is forthcoming that will see my guy out this year under the early release orders... his new release date is still appreciated, cutting our remaining time in half! :rolleyes: we'll take it!

Well if you hear anything, please put it on here. I'll do the same. Other prisons hear news sooner than others.

*Precious* 11-21-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7828791)
Well if you hear anything, please put it on here. I'll do the same. Other prisons hear news sooner than others.

will do!!! thank you!!! :D

*Precious* 11-24-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7828791)
Well if you hear anything, please put it on here. I'll do the same. Other prisons hear news sooner than others.

so it sounds like anyone being considered for the governor's list has received a memo from their counsellor... basically, saying that they have a lot of files they are processing from the governor's list (200 of them?) and they are working to process and make a decision. basically, my guy said he feels better knowing that he's still being considered and hasn't actually been denied for early release.

people on that list will be notified as any decision is made once/week as they work through them. if you aren't notified on dec. 3, then maybe dec. 10.

so yeah, a thursday.

Visitor611 11-25-2020 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Precious* (Post 7828987)
so it sounds like anyone being considered for the governor's list has received a memo from their counsellor... basically, saying that they have a lot of files they are processing from the governor's list (200 of them?) and they are working to process and make a decision. basically, my guy said he feels better knowing that he's still being considered and hasn't actually been denied for early release.

people on that list will be notified as any decision is made once/week as they work through them. if you aren't notified on dec. 3, then maybe dec. 10.

so yeah, a thursday.

There's more than just this batch too. There's another group going out January/February.

*Precious* 12-02-2020 11:11 PM

sounds like a couple of guys have gotten letters that indicate that they were not approved for early release from the governor's list. they seemed to have released some before though, didn't they? anyway, hoping that they're not all about to get letters like that. still waiting on news but we know his time is short regardless.

Visitor611 12-03-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Precious* (Post 7829357)
sounds like a couple of guys have gotten letters that indicate that they were not approved for early release from the governor's list. they seemed to have released some before though, didn't they? anyway, hoping that they're not all about to get letters like that. still waiting on news but we know his time is short regardless.

There's always going to be a few that don't have a place to go or have sketchy conduct. A woman lost her early release because of drugs through the mail scheme. Thanks for the update.

*Precious* 12-03-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor611 (Post 7829372)
There's always going to be a few that don't have a place to go or have sketchy conduct. A woman lost her early release because of drugs through the mail scheme. Thanks for the update.

oh for sure but i wouldn't assume rhyme or reason anyhow!! :rolleyes: i'll let ya know if i hear anything else. hoping you and your wife have news about her homecoming soon!!! :heart:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online