Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooking & Recipes (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Does anyone know of any simple good cookbooks? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718474)

loner woman 06-24-2019 09:24 AM

Does anyone know of any simple good cookbooks?
 
I don't feel I am a good cook and i'm tryin to improve. Can anyone recommend some simple good cook books to help me along the way? Thank so much.

DailyLimitReach 06-27-2019 12:15 AM

There are so many but I would suggest searching online for different types of food you like to get started. There are a gazillion free recipes to choose from. Some good places to look are food network and yummly.

MizzyMuffling 06-27-2019 12:29 AM

I love my Silver Palate Cookbooks! They have basic stuff or fancy stuff. Baking their banana bread for decades already.

loner woman 06-27-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyLimitReach (Post 7782785)
There are so many but I would suggest searching online for different types of food you like to get started. There are a gazillion free recipes to choose from. Some good places to look are food network and yummly.

I have check into some of these. The food network recipes I don't find all that simple. I feel I need to go back to the basics. I was looking for a simple cookbook with recipes that others have tried.

onedayatatime13 06-27-2019 05:52 AM

The Joy of Cooking is my favorite.

Marseille 06-27-2019 10:01 AM

I think the easiest, most familiar recipes are in those local cookbooks that churches or local groups put out every few years. Just regular home style cooking in those, no fancy ingredients or advanced techniques. They will have a bunch at your local Goodwill, almost guaranteed.

4Bobby 06-27-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marseille (Post 7782840)
I think the easiest, most familiar recipes are in those local cookbooks that churches or local groups put out every few years. Just regular home style cooking in those, no fancy ingredients or advanced techniques. They will have a bunch at your local Goodwill, almost guaranteed.

I have found quite a few at garage sales, as well.

keywii 06-27-2019 10:35 AM

It's a lot of websites that's dedicated to all different stages (levels) for cooking. I'll give you a few that gives you simple. Please check these out and pick the recipes you'll enjoy to cook.

1. All Recipes All Recipes. On the website has a section that's dedicated to simple meals. You can pick from any category in this section that you'll like to try out. I gave the link so it's a little more easy for you to check it out.

2. Simply Recipes Simply Recipes. On the website has all different categories you can check out. Also has very simple recipes that you can look into trying out. It has a drop down for recipe type you can look into. I did link you to the quick and easy category. You can give the categories a try because it's a lot of simple recipes you can follow on this website as well.

3. Food Network Food Network. The site has an easy section as well. Not sure if you ever was able to find it. I gave you the link to the easy recipes. Also has different categories to what you'll like to try out when it comes to a certain recipes.

4. Campbells Campbells. Has a lot of easy recipes you can follow as well. So many great recipes you can pick from and if you into using campbells products. You'll find the site very helpful and given you different recipes to try with campbells products.

5. Tasty Tasty. The site has an easy section. Just click on recipes at the top and in the drop down. You'll see a section for easy recipes. Tasty I'm sure you've heard of the site? Does have videos on how to do the recipes. So you can follow along with the video.

miamac 06-27-2019 10:38 AM

My biggest pet peeve about recipes is that they use terms that you may be unfamiliar with. The Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook actually teaches you what broil, julienne, the difference between a pork loin and a pork chop...they assume nothing.

I hear the newer(est) version is not as good. I have the 2000ish, 5-ring style and even though it's a little basic for me now, you'd have to tear it from my cold, hungry hands. Lol
Check them out here.

1/2bMe 06-28-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loner woman (Post 7782384)
I don't feel I am a good cook and i'm tryin to improve. Can anyone recommend some simple good cook books to help me along the way? Thank so much.

Have you checked out your local library? They too have cookbooks. ;)

yourself 06-28-2019 08:38 PM

Joy of cooking, hands down a great cookbook. I have two copies - one that belonged to my mom from the early 60’s, and one from around 2000. They always update to modern tastes and nutritional needs as well as vocabulary. I have a bunch of cookbooks, but this is my favorite. If I want to know how to deal with a piece of meat or make a cake or whatever, I turn there first.

onedayatatime13 06-28-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourself (Post 7783055)
Joy of cooking, hands down a great cookbook. I have two copies - one that belonged to my mom from the early 60ís, and one from around 2000. They always update to modern tastes and nutritional needs as well as vocabulary. I have a bunch of cookbooks, but this is my favorite. If I want to know how to deal with a piece of meat or make a cake or whatever, I turn there first.

The older one has really interesting recipes in it. They teach you about meats I would never even think to cook or would know where to buy them.

This is my go to bridal shower gift too.

sidewalker 07-11-2019 09:02 AM

I have a decrepit tattered OLD paperback Better Homes and Garden cook book (so old and is now in two pieces.....the binding fell apart)
Most of the recipes in it are old school. But I like several of the recipes in it.



As for online, I like both food network and All recipes well enough. Tasty is also got some interesting stuff on it.
Only thing about having it online (at least for me) is I have to keep going back and forth looking how to cook it. haha, Im sure there is a better alternative to doing it that way but often I just might want to try it....to see if I actually want to keep it.


there are also cool things to check out with something I call
Whats in my Cupboard. (or to that effect)
It takes what you have on hand and makes suggestions as to what you can make, and what you will need to make it.

keywii 07-11-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewalker (Post 7784776)
I have a decrepit tattered OLD paperback Better Homes and Garden cook book (so old and is now in two pieces.....the binding fell apart)
Most of the recipes in it are old school. But I like several of the recipes in it.



As for online, I like both food network and All recipes well enough. Tasty is also got some interesting stuff on it.
Only thing about having it online (at least for me) is I have to keep going back and forth looking how to cook it. haha, Im sure there is a better alternative to doing it that way but often I just might want to try it....to see if I actually want to keep it.


there are also cool things to check out with something I call
Whats in my Cupboard. (or to that effect)
It takes what you have on hand and makes suggestions as to what you can make, and what you will need to make it.

I'll usually have my tablet staying on without going idle to see what I'm doing. Other times I like to read it a few times to memorize it so I can do without my tablet. One more option I like doing is printing it out and placing it in my huge recipe blinder lol. Very huge book on all my favorite recipes. It's always fun to check out the recipes that comes with videos so you can follow along. I'm a huge recipe nerd lol. I love to collect and cook.

sidewalker 07-17-2019 06:36 AM

I only have a desktop so........thats why I have to keep going back and forth.
haha.
I also read it thru several times then assemble everything I'll need for it.
Its still a pain to do it that way.
I prefer either books or recipe cards. (yeah, old school)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online