Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Continuing and Adult Education (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   How many of you have college degrees? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204689)

nice girl 07-27-2007 12:07 PM

I am working on finishing up my assoicates degree in Nursing.

hopeful64 07-27-2007 12:11 PM

Congrats to All

I have a AAS, in Human Services, BA in Forensic Psychology, and currently working on my Masters in Clinical Psychology online. It is so cool how we are continue to grow while we wait. :thumbsup:

jenjenb07 07-27-2007 12:20 PM

I was working on finishing my BS in Criminal Justice (was orginally pre-law). Had to stop for a while so I could return to work full-time. I might change all of this to a BS in Labor Relations because I worked at Ford- Labor Relations for 9 years. I am wondering if any on-line schools are worth it, like Phoneix, and if they are accredited regionally, or just nationally. Also, I wonder how employers look at your resume when they see you finished your degree at a Univeristy on-line.

cat805 07-29-2007 02:30 AM

Yes....I am a college graduate.....master's level.....clinical psychology....and looking at the stats feel proud to be pushing those stats up......Yes, we can do it...........

Cleveland Cutie 07-29-2007 11:37 AM

Strong, independent, educated Black woman in love with an inmate

I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management and a MBA with a concentration in Finance...my man has a GED...I hear the BS all the time about finding somebody "on my level":angry: It makes me angry because as far as I'm concerned education doesn't make someone "on my level". I know plenty of college educated brothers who are assholes just the same and couldn't hold a candle to making me feel the way my man makes me feel.:nono: I've run across plenty of them while he's been down and they do nothing for me...

10ystillwaitin 07-29-2007 02:09 PM

Oh my! I don't feel bad at all! We are all one of a kind and degree or not still have love to give!
I have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I had an associates in Sociology, but was motivated to pursue a CJ degree once my husband went in! Trust me, I knew the system like the back of my hand once they were finished with him.

wildukcat 07-29-2007 07:04 PM

I will have my Bachelor's in Criminology in May 2008! I can't wait to be done with school!! :)

kktx 07-29-2007 08:00 PM

I have an associates in nursing and trying to get my bachelors. What kind of career oppurtunities are there for criminal justice?

Wobabi 07-29-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kktx
I have an associates in nursing and trying to get my bachelors. What kind of career oppurtunities are there for criminal justice?

Tons of Prison Work. Three of my closest girls have cj degrees and they are very high levels in the CA Juvie System, ADA Brooklyn,Retired Warden.

tralynlee 07-29-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinphany
Tray: Are you a Nurse?:) ...I'm finishing my BS for Nursing now...:D I'm in my final year and have been volunteering and doing internships @ Cedars & UCLA Medical Center...In addition to that I am a licensed "vampire":D (Phlebotomist) and currently work in a genetic lab.

Sorry it took so long to respond. No, I am working as the Ward Manager-Lead of Secretaries, but I am hoping to go into nursing by the hospital paying for my classes.

bailey3120 07-29-2007 08:17 PM

masters in music, bachlors in music, looking forward to a doc in music theraphy.
...my dad was in prison a year and is a doctor. education has nothing to do w/ serving time.

Sabbai 07-29-2007 11:18 PM

bachelor of journalism, '04 alum. heading to graduate school for an M.A in international relations in media + peacebuilding

hopeful64 07-30-2007 07:03 AM

jenjenb07I was working on finishing my BS in Criminal Justice (was orginally pre-law). Had to stop for a while so I could return to work full-time. I might change all of this to a BS in Labor Relations because I worked at Ford- Labor Relations for 9 years. I am wondering if any on-line schools are worth it, like Phoneix, and if they are accredited regionally, or just nationally. Also, I wonder how employers look at your resume when they see you finished your degree at a Univeristy on-line.I attend Capella University. Because I plan on opening a non-profit organization for women, I can obtain my license which is beneficial for me. Also, my current employer reinburses for my online school. Check them out I am in NJ and they are located in MN.

jenjenb07 07-30-2007 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeful64
jenjenb07I was working on finishing my BS in Criminal Justice (was orginally pre-law). Had to stop for a while so I could return to work full-time. I might change all of this to a BS in Labor Relations because I worked at Ford- Labor Relations for 9 years. I am wondering if any on-line schools are worth it, like Phoneix, and if they are accredited regionally, or just nationally. Also, I wonder how employers look at your resume when they see you finished your degree at a Univeristy on-line.I attend Capella University. Because I plan on opening a non-profit organization for women, I can obtain my license which is beneficial for me. Also, my current employer reinburses for my online school. Check them out I am in NJ and they are located in MN.

Thanks Hopeful64 - I will check them out. I have heard of them before. That's great that you get tuition reimbursement - that's hard to come by these days!

luvdrew 07-30-2007 12:04 PM

I just graduated with my masters degree on wed :) :) :)

TedEBare 07-30-2007 12:51 PM

Congratulations, luvdrew!!!

Sinphany 07-30-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Cutie
I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management and a MBA with a concentration in Finance...my man has a GED...I hear the BS all the time about finding somebody "on my level":angry: It makes me angry because as far as I'm concerned education doesn't make someone "on my level". I know plenty of college educated brothers who are assholes just the same and couldn't hold a candle to making me feel the way my man makes me feel.:nono: I've run across plenty of them while he's been down and they do nothing for me...

Go head Sista...Great Post:thumbsup:

Sinphany 07-30-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdrew

Congrats Drew!:thumbsup:

hopeful64 07-31-2007 07:57 AM

Keep going strong

Whoo Hoo Drew congrats, this is BIG stuff:D

gapeachwifey 07-31-2007 11:36 AM

Congrats!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdrew

Good for you!!!! :)

gapeachwifey 07-31-2007 11:59 AM

To answer the question I have 2 associate degrees, one in Early Childhood Education and one in Accounting. I am currently working on my BS in Organization leadership at a private university here in Georgia. I have 3 semesters to go!!!! I plan to teach for a while, either Middle School or high school, then become a school counselor. I haven't decided yet what I will get my Master's in, either Middle grades or Ed. leadership. I plan to continue on to an Ed.S then a doctorate. I love to learn and read and I love school.

My ultimate goal is to open my own academy for girls ages 11-17, ya'll Oprah opened hers before I did, LOL.

My husband went to college for a year and then dropped out, at the time college wasn't for him. Now he's been inspired by me so he wants to go back when he's released. He wants a Theology degree.

Hisbutterfly23 08-02-2007 01:15 AM

I am in college right now.. my man stays on top of me.. the first question when he calls is... have you studied today or did you go to school.

Maya2007 08-02-2007 08:07 PM

I have a BA in psychology and did some post grad work. I think having a education does not define love or who a person is. It is just a prestige/title that seems like most people prefer to have these days... regardless how much you earn. I have met some really smart people who don't have an education. My boyfriend received his GED way before he was locked up and did some training in the peace corps... I think its kinda sexy to have a man who knows how to use his hands.... ;)

keytwo 08-04-2007 02:44 AM

Congrats Luv Drew

zoezoe 08-04-2007 10:57 PM

I'll bet most people would of thought everyone here would be high school drop outs. I also believe you fall in love with your heart not your brain.;)