Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Continuing and Adult Education (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   How many of you have college degrees? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204689)

Puddin92849 09-09-2006 09:10 AM

I have a Master Degree in Social Work. My sweetie has a high school diploma. He's smarter than me. Incidentally, my father (who is not incarcerated) only has an 8th grade education. He's smarter than me too, and has more money. Education is important but not the most important factor in love or success.

Me, I was exposed to more opportunities. He was exposed to more adversity. That is why I can love an inmate and empathize with their situation. It is truly by the grace of God that any of us are not sitting the same situation. Things happen in life and life can take a strange turn at the "twinkling of an eye".

valentine65 09-09-2006 03:44 PM

I have a Bachelors in Business and Communications. I am in second year back to school again. My Rah got his GED while in prison the first time. He's always telling me how smart I am and that he's proud of me. I just went back to school again. I think he's pretty smart too. I actually send him my math homework to explain to me...lol

WeMissScott 09-09-2006 04:23 PM

I am currently working on my associates in business then will go for my batchelors degree. I personally don't think education has anything to do with loving someone in prison. I am also lucky that my family and friends that know about him are supportive. Scott and I were childhood friends and reconnected when he was locked up. Over the last two years we have gone from old friends to friends that love each other very much. We have become each others best friend. Once he does get released (2&1/2 more years), he is going to move in with me. I have also brought my son to meet him and they both love each other as well. I'm for once in my life following my heart and not my hormones!!!

Toshacat 09-14-2006 12:56 AM

Well I went to college and even got a degree in Paralegal but after doing my internship I didn't like how lawyers treated people and that all they wanted was money, so I went into taking care of old people, but my real passion is Working with girls. I wanted to be a teacher but after spending one day working with 30 kids and said no way. LOL
Toshacat

honeymom 09-14-2006 08:11 AM

I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Psychology.

cyndi34 09-17-2006 12:01 AM

I have a degree in animal sciences.(vet tech)

nightowl1963200 09-17-2006 12:14 AM

Love is Love whether you have an education or not.

lilsoldierette0 09-17-2006 12:34 AM

well -- I dont fit into any of those categories....I graduated technical school with a license in Cosmetology ( Yeah I make people beautiful ALL DAY!!!)

Wobabi 09-19-2006 12:17 PM

Degreed

I have a BA in Economics and an MBA in Management,,,after all that,,, I ended up working for myself ,,,could not take the office politics. MY hunnie dropped out of school in the 8th grade, got his GED in prison. This is where Book smarts meets Street smarts and it works rather well.;)
Yem

alovelylatina 09-20-2006 06:26 PM

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and Economics. (planned on going to law school) After I saw the light, I decided it wasn't the right course for me. I'm starting a Master's in Social Work and Counseling program in January.

PrincessTNY 09-21-2006 10:12 AM

I have a B.A. in Forensic Psychology

rebecca01 09-25-2006 12:24 AM

I have a Bachelors degree in nursing. My pal has a 10th grade education, and is ALWAYS teaching me something!

monet420 09-25-2006 12:30 AM

I have a BS in criminal Justice and I am going back in January to work on my Masters

cking07 09-27-2006 01:59 PM

If we live completely by society's views, theres no hope for happiness, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to impress others. Education does not define a person's character. I'm a senior at the U of DE and the majority of the college kids I live around are constantly drinking, not going to class, acting a fool..whereas I know plenty of people personally who have 10 times more the drive to succeed, just need the resources. I'm going to law school after I graduate. My boyfriend who just got locked up...he was a college athlete,and hung around people who weren't about the right thing and therefore went down with them.
In the end, all it is is titles..prestige associated with the titles. Its a sad world we live in!

Wobabi 09-28-2006 04:22 PM

Big Up

I dont understand how "some " people are NOT seeing this as a thread to Big Up those of us who have loved ones in Prison but Shatter the stero-types that other people and the MEDIA make us out to be. I see this as enlightening thread,,, to know that,,, as most would say ,,I am Not crazy, dumb, stupid, uneducated,low self esteem and a plain ole loser for being with a man in Prison,,because there are other educated (books or street), sexy,intelligent,career driven people who do the same. Ok, may be I am a little crazy but still,,,,hahaha
Its not about jealousy its about solidarity:thumbsup:
Babi
ps: and if someone wants my degree that I am not using,,, they can gladly take it along with my student loan payment,,Grrrrr

lovinhimstill 09-28-2006 04:34 PM

I am so happy i found this thread, its good to know that I'm not the only one, I swear i hear it all the time you have so much going for yourself you have your degree blah blah why do u want to waste your time on someone like him. Thanks for posting this yall :thumbsup:

I have a B.A in Sociology

lovinhimstill 09-28-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobabi
I dont understand how "some " people are NOT seeing this as a thread to Big Up those of us who have loved ones in Prison but Shatter the stero-types that other people and the MEDIA make us out to be. I see this as enlightening thread,,, to know that,,, as most would say ,,I am Not crazy, dumb, stupid, uneducated,low self esteem and a plain ole loser for being with a man in Prison,,because there are other educated (books or street), sexy,intelligent,career driven people who do the same. Ok, may be I am a little crazy but still,,,,hahaha
Its not about jealousy its about solidarity:thumbsup:
Babi
ps: and if someone wants my degree that I am not using,,, they can gladly take it along with my student loan payment,,Grrrrr

Very well said :thumbsup:

patchouli 10-09-2006 11:21 AM

I have a B.A. in Psych and am working on my Masters in Library Science thru Florida State University online/distance learning--I live in KY. And I understand all the negative crap that gets thrown at us for loving someone in prison. If family/friends can't be supportive, they could at least keep silent. Ya'll keep your chins up!

MsAkbar 10-09-2006 06:16 PM

MA in Forensic Psychology.

booclee 10-10-2006 06:06 PM

I have an associates degree in medical assisting

aroundawaygyrl2 10-11-2006 06:59 PM

I also have an Associates' Degree in Medical Assisting and am going back for my bachelors in nursing. And my man has been gone for 5 months and maybe 5 years to do. People say the same things to me but as long as your happy with who your with, it doesnt matter if hes behind bars or not. People like to look at inmates like they're animals just because their in the system but they are human beings just like the rest of us in the outside world. Everyone makes mistakes, who has the right to judge anybody but the man upstairs????

ForHim 10-11-2006 10:47 PM

Doctoral degree. It has everything to do with love...if it weren't for his love and support I couldn't have done any of it. He made sure I ate, got some sleep, he took care of the kids, and worked himself. We earned our education together, his name should be on the diplomas as well.

Devinz_lil_mama 10-15-2006 12:18 AM

Well I am currently in school for law....does that count towards anything...lol.

BabyCuz 10-15-2006 12:59 AM

Don't speak too soon...

The way I see it all of the people who think that we are stupid or ignorant to support our inmates don't have a clue! As plenty of people who've posted before me have said, this has nothing to do with our level of education.
Before my man got locked up, my cousins were incarcerated for defending themselves in a bar fight.
Those haters that think we should "move on" so to speak, either have been lucky enough to never have been incarcerated or to never have had a loved one locked up. They don't realize how crooked the criminal justice system is, and even for those of us with inmates who are actually guilty...there's still no easy way to walk away. How can you just leave a loved one behind???? They have no clue and I pray for their sakes that they never have to go through half of what we all experience on the daily, cause I don't think they could handle it. Better yet, I hope for their sakes that they never get caught up in the system!

FriscoLady 10-15-2006 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devinz_lil_mama
Well I am currently in school for law....does that count towards anything...lol.

Yes it does! Go for it!

Patti