Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Continuing and Adult Education (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   How many of you have college degrees? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204689)

keytwo 05-26-2006 02:06 AM

How many of you have college degrees?

My friends and family are disappointed that im dating an inmate. They often refer to my education as a reason for me not dating a inmate? I always tell them im not the only person with a degree who dates or marries an in mate. so im asking how many of you have degrees and what type of degree do you have?

one_luv 05-26-2006 03:01 AM

We have just as many educated people on PTO and lin love with prisoners as you would find anywhere else. Maybe even more so since we have some very strong, independant women here. I don't think education level has ANY reflection on who you choose to love.

I am currently working towards my master's degree while working in the field.

Out of curiosity, why would it matter what our gender is?

iverske9 05-26-2006 07:42 AM

I definately loved school...I have a bachelor in science for biology, a Masters in Science for Molecular Biology and I am half way done with my MBA! My man who is in for a DUI was almost done with his Bachelors and is a accomplished chef (who went to school for it) soooo it does not always matter. Just remember that your parents love you and only want whats best for you....its hard because I know that if I had a daughter I would tell her to run for the hills instead of be with a guy in Jail. Not only because the man was retarded enough to do something to go to jail but also waiting for someone.....Good luck and don't let them get you down!

rottn 05-26-2006 07:51 AM

I have been going to college on and off since 1984. I have one BA and am working on another one. In between I have gotten some certificates along the way. Kevin has his GED and did take some college between sentences. He wants to go back when he gets out.

ms.crystal 05-26-2006 07:57 AM

im a college- educated professional registered nurse. for more support pls. check out aol journals- reflections of a prison wife and loving a man behind bars.

JimmysonlyGirl 05-26-2006 10:23 AM

I don't think education has anything to do with love.

moetbj 05-26-2006 10:23 AM

i have an assoc in human services and am three semesters away from my BA - i plan on going to law school......education has nothing to do with who you love, my man is doing a 13 yr bid and he is college educated himself......stuff happens!

HeSoHandsome 05-26-2006 10:46 AM

High school educated right here!! :o I never wanted to go to college, so, I didn't. I am in love and I do have eyes. Without them, I wouldn't be able to see what a georgeous hunk of mane my man is!! :p HOWEVER, because the eye that I use THEE MOST (95%) when it comes to love is my third eye, I really can relate to zhane's "no eyes in love" thing.

lyteeydlwyr 05-26-2006 10:57 AM

I have a Juris Doctor with a Masters Degree and a Bachelors Degree. My education has nothing to do with how much I love my husband. I loved him before I had all of that education and I'd love him without all of that education.

texasgrl 05-26-2006 11:09 AM

I have a bachelors degree in business management with an emphasis in political science. I worked on Capitol Hill for 2 years.
My man is working on his degree, and yes, my family has major qualms with him not being graduated....

babygurl919 05-26-2006 11:13 AM

I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

keytwo 05-26-2006 11:14 AM

The gender is for my own personal research. Wondering if educated women are more likely to have an inmate relationship then educated men. by the way i personally feel education has nothing to do with love. However, my friends and family keep bringing it up. i know im not the only one with a degree in the PTO just wanted to know about who the other people were.

Sad Panda 05-26-2006 11:27 AM

I couldn't have said it better than you all have - my level of education has nothing to do with who I'm in love with or what I am able to accept about him. I have a bachelor's degree and I'm going back to graduate school in the fall - actually completing an accelerated program that will allow me to change careers.

crow94 05-26-2006 11:34 AM

Stereotypes are constricting and unfair... there are many educated people who have loved ones incarcerated (I am one of them).

Lorax 05-26-2006 11:51 AM

I was a double major for my BS (I always thought that was funny)~ management and marketing. Got my MBA 3 years ago.

bailey_b 05-26-2006 01:11 PM

I am a female with a BA working towards my Masters..............he has never gone to school after High School, doesn't make a difference to us n e way! He made more money in his job then I did with my education and as long as him and I see eye to eye and I feel we are on the same wavelength that is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course right now I make more money, lol, and probably will even after he comes home for a while, but having him home is all I want and need! Of course my parents have always wanted me to marry someone as educated as I am, but they met my husband and saw we were great together and I don't give a *$&(#^ what they want for me .......this is my life I am living thank you very much, to their credit, they have been 250% supportive in this situation.......

Me-n-Ty 05-26-2006 02:00 PM

i am currently working on my ADN i am taking microbiology this summer and should get into the ADN program hopefully by next year
my Ty has graduated with honors from a technical program but with his history that probably wont make too much of a difference when he applies for a job

KennysBabyGirlW 05-26-2006 02:48 PM

I have a Bachelor's of Social Work and am getting ready to start on my Masters. I don't know about everyone else but it doesn't matter to either one of us. We love each other and that's the deal. :D

sblvsmb 05-26-2006 03:14 PM

I have a high school diploma ~ and I had a full scholarship to college ~ but passed it up. WHY? I guess when I was 18 I wasn't ready to "keep going to school". I have done well as far as a job is concerned without college ~ make as much as those in my field that are college educated. I have thought about going back to school, but it is just not something I can handle right now. And I will not do something if I cannot give it 100%. Maybe once my husband is home, it is something I will consider more seriously.

I do not think education is a factor in determining love or who you should love. At least not if it's TRUE LOVE. And your education does not always indicate your intelligence. I have met many and know many who are college educated and are straight dumb as**. No offense to anyone here.:)

lalabean 05-26-2006 05:01 PM

I have a BA in Radio and TV. I work in the television industry and he is very proud of what i do. A few people where i work know where he is at and are really supportive. It is what it is.

Enjay 05-26-2006 05:16 PM

I have a bachelor in Fine Art and an associates in Advertising Art. He is working on his GED and I am very proud of him!! After he gets it he wants to take some college classes. School isn't for everyone, but if he'll feel better about himself then I'm all for it!!

mrschris 05-26-2006 06:20 PM

i have my bachelors, and i'm just about ready to go back to school to get my masters (not that i'll use it lmao right lyte)...

i love my hubby and it has nothing to do with my education. people don't worry about why i'm with my hubby with a degree...they worry about why i'm not using my degree lmao.

sammi528 05-26-2006 06:26 PM

Some of the most INTELLIGENT people I know have never made it past high school, and some of the most "Book Smart" people I know couldn't find their way out of a paper bag with a map and a pair of scissors. It's all relative. I attended and graduated (I think?) from Queens College (NY) in the late 80's, where I majored in Music History and minored in Psychology. (Come on, people.....it was the 80's, for Christ's sake!!!) Needless to say, 20 years later, I am neither a concert virtuoso nor a Psychotherapist. Far, far from it! But I do OK. I'm happy.

An education and a degree in ANYTHING is valuable, and even if you don't end up in that particular field, you will always have the power of knowledge. On the other hand, just because you can memorize words and spit back stuff from a text book doesn't automatically make you a candidate for Mensa, either.

I struggled through the 5+ year plan of college, and was ecstatic with the low B, high C average I had. My brother, on the other hand, with an IQ upwards of 170, breezed through an Ivy League school in less than 4 years, and went on to get not one, not two, but THREE Masters Degrees in such things as Eastern European Languages, Theology and something else that I can't pronounce. His career for the past 20 years? Vice-president of a nationwide insurance company. Go figure.

Sure, he can spit out the square root of 259 bazillion in less than half a second, but when it comes to a battle of wits, I ALWAYS win. Always.

As far as my friend in prison.....he HONESTLY has to be the most intelligent, sharpest, wittiest person I know. (Obviously, not smart enough to keep his butt out of prison, but that's another story for another time.) His education? GED while he was locked up the first time, at the ripe old age of 24.

Bottom line, just do what's best for you, and not what other people or society "expects" you to do. Diversity is a beautiful thing, and it has no timeline.

Peace,
Lisa

missvee1014 05-26-2006 06:35 PM

I agree. Also If you all haven't read this PLEASE do it's call view from the top by Calvin Mackie, I'm still in the process of finishing it but it will inspire you to move on past where you are,and it will help you to realize that education can get you sooo far! it's a great book and in this day and age it's who you know not what!!! many of the most successful and wealthy people aren't as smart as though without the degrees, so do what you must to stay and be happy even if it's not part of the " american Dream". use what you have and work with it!! Okay enough of my speech!!! any more and I'll have to charge:thumbsup::D

mel2020 05-26-2006 06:40 PM

:clap: :hifive: :beer: sammi! That's what I was going to say. Take any one of the PhD's with whom I work out to a bar (or any other social setting) and they'd congregate together and talk about abstract things. No social skills at all. No people skills. They'd rather spend 12-14 hours at work, than going home to be with their families. Not how I want my life to be.

Anyway, I have a BS in Biochemistry. He got his GED shortly after meeting me while I was in college. I was proud of it then, I'll be proud of it no matter what else he does in the education department. I can go back to school for a post-grad thing since I work at the uni, but I lack the motivation. I'd rather be home with my family than working all day, going to class all evening, and studying all night. I'm happy now, that's all that matters :D

missvee1014 05-26-2006 07:17 PM

That's right!! You go gurl! Bio chem?? WWHOOOOOOOAAAA!!! but yeah! the book smarts ain't nothing. Common Sense is key. But you know what! Common sense isn't so common for everybody!!!

sammi528 05-26-2006 07:27 PM

[quote=mel2020]:clap: :hifive: :beer: sammi! That's what I was going to say. Take any one of the PhD's with whom I work out to a bar (or any other social setting) and they'd congregate together and talk about abstract things. No social skills at all. No people skills. They'd rather spend 12-14 hours at work, than going home to be with their families. Not how I want my life to be.

Amen, Mel! To some people, the intricate schematics and detailed formulations involved in the process of splitting an atom could be considered foreplay, but there comes a time when you have to separate business from the real world, throw caution to the wind, and take a wild guess at who will be the next American Idol. You know....the real important issues of our country:p Now THERE'S something you'll never hear about in a lecture hall. Or maybe you would? Hmmm....scary thought, isn't it?!?!?!

NJNancymae 05-26-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babygurl919
I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

VERY WELL SAID, Babygurl919. And I totally agree. I am just credits away from my Associates Degree in Business. I love school...I love challenging my mind. But my heart? It belongs to my husband - absolutely - no challenge there. :love: Its his and no one else's - and I do NOT need a degree to understand that!!
OH HELL YEAH!!
:rock: :rock: :rock:

NJNancymae 05-26-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalabean
I have a BA in Radio and TV. I work in the television industry and he is very proud of what i do. A few people where i work know where he is at and are really supportive. It is what it is.

HEY Lala...I just noticed you were recently married. Congratulations to you and your man. I am a newlywed as well. As of Feb 1 of this year. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Again, Congratulations and Best Wishes!

And.....OH HELL YEAH!!
:rock: :rock: :rock:

mel2020 05-26-2006 07:39 PM

Dayum skippy! I love my science. Don't get me wrong. I'm a nerd...but only at work. In MY time, I'm a metal listenin, Harley lovin, fun-lovin, coolest mom ever! (no offense to other mommy's out there :p ) Its a happy medium. Work at work, play at home. That's where our common ground lies, anyway. My man's educational experiences, or lack thereof, has no bearing on that.

sammi528 05-26-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babygurl919

That was beautifully said, as always, Jess. I couldn't add anything else to it if I tried. :grouphug:

Lisa

brooks 05-26-2006 08:20 PM

I have a Bachelor of Fine Art. I work in a warehouse, so even my job does not reflect my education.

bookieworm2000 05-26-2006 09:18 PM

High school, a few college coarses, a lot of business classes and seminars but doesn't make me anything

Life's experiences, if you learn to use them are so much more productive

Dees_Girl 05-27-2006 02:16 AM

I have a B.S. degree in Business Management with a concentration in Accounting. I also believe that education has nothing to do with the love we share. We come from two different worlds and in return we both share our worlds with one another. Even though he is in prison, even though he does not have a college degree, he is very intellectual.

babygurl79 05-27-2006 10:21 AM

I haven't graduated yet but I am currently working on my BS in Human Services and BS Sociology. I want to go on and hopefully get a Masters in some form of sociology. My husband was working on his BS in English and BS in History.

Julianne924 05-27-2006 01:49 PM

I'm in college now, so I don't have a degree yet. I want to be a lawyer though, so I plan on going to law school after getting my bachelors.

liberaldog 05-27-2006 04:01 PM

I have a BA in Journalism and Im currently pursuing my Masters. My fiance has a high school education, but hopes to get out and return to school

Wtg2SmileAgain 05-27-2006 07:53 PM

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and minored in Computer Information Systems. My Max got his GED then got an associates degree in Electrical Engineering. But...so what, he still got caught up. All I know at this moment is, whatever his formal education, he learned how to treat women along the way and he taught me how it feels to be loved and adored. Now, no matter what happens between us, I can go forward having learned that from him. Because I know what love feels like now, I won't settle for anything less. But what am I saying, this is home (Max is home for me!!!).

I have critics, one co-worker in particular just told me the other day, she would keep my phone number just in case I don't work there anymore just so she can tell me "I told you so" when it doesn't work out!!! Ouch.

I love him and he loves me, it's the only thing that really matters here. It also matters that he takes this opportunity to turn his life around and not get caught up.

Those are my thoughts. This was a good question/Poll!!!

kupenda4life 05-27-2006 11:50 PM

okay so many things to say here

first education has nothing to do with love... geed what is wrong with people and this world.. i have friends who have a man who is free and they dont get half the attention i get from my DADDY and hes locked up.... LOL

and secondly there are not only wives and GF here on PTO there are mothers and grandmas with degreess what does that have to do with loving somone who is an inmate , especiallu someone they love .. their son, grnadon , grandaughter etc...

for the record i have a AA in Early Childhood Education And a BA in Vocational education and going back in fall for my adult education teaching credentil.. have been a self employed business woman all my life..

Girl ignore those people and stay in love with your man ....

brookis 05-28-2006 12:48 AM

I have a college degree in sociology with a minor in women's studies. My family (mainly my mother) has huge problems with me waiting for my fiance. It has put a huge strain on things...especially since he comes home soon. She convinced herself that I would have left him before he got release, but now that he is coming home she is absolutely freaking out and I constantly hear that I am better than him, my education being one of the reasons.
I love my fiance more than anything in the world and feel that we have a great relationship. My education has nothing to do with the reasons I started dated him, continued dating him after he was locked up, or our future together.