Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=915)
-   -   What do you do if you feel your family member is in fear for their life? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705947)

51littlemama 09-18-2017 06:13 PM

What do you do if you feel your family member is in fear for their life?

What do you do if you feel your family member is in fear for thier life ?

mrs4lifey 09-18-2017 06:24 PM

I would call the prison and ask to talk to the Duty Warden let him know that you are emailing Julie Jones and the warden. I would also email Julie Jones and copy the warden. Then you have record that they received the warning. You can also copy the Miami Herald reporter that has been doing stories about inmates who tell their families they aren't safe and then ended up dead. The phone call might be risky but the emails they can't deny what was said.

Minor activist 09-18-2017 06:50 PM

Has your family member asked to be placed in protective management (I think that's what Florida calls it) and what was the result?

51littlemama 09-18-2017 07:25 PM

fear

not finding Julie Jones Email or the inspector generals

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs4lifey (Post 7663955)
I would call the prison and ask to talk to the Duty Warden let him know that you are emailing Julie Jones and the warden. I would also email Julie Jones and copy the warden. Then you have record that they received the warning. You can also copy the Miami Herald reporter that has been doing stories about inmates who tell their families they aren't safe and then ended up dead. The phone call might be risky but the emails they can't deny what was said.

Minor activist 09-18-2017 07:46 PM

I have NO idea whether these people will do any good but there is a contact for concerned family members. Go to the bottom of the page at http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/annual/9899/execaff.html, where it lists "Office of Family Services".

Quote:

If you would like to e-mail a staff member at Florida Department of Corrections, the format for an e-mail address is:
lastname.firstname@mail.dc.state.fl.us

GaReform 09-18-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51littlemama (Post 7663966)
not finding Julie Jones Email or the inspector generals

Here is a link with contact info for the DOC staff including Julie Jones.http://www.dc.state.fl.us/orginfo

I would also reach out to this reporter. She has done several articles on the Fla criminal justice & DOC system. http://news.wfsu.org/people/sascha-cordner
Hope your loved one is ok.

nimuay 09-19-2017 07:44 AM

Let me point out that there are a few different options here - the first of which is to find out EXACTLY why he fears for his life. Is he in a gang? Does he have debts? Is he an addict? Is he a sex offender? And there are a few other possibilities as well. Once you know that, then you can make a more reasoned approach to the issue.

51littlemama 09-19-2017 02:16 PM

he has none of those issues, this is persomal comomg from an officer

51littlemama 09-19-2017 02:20 PM

fear

he has none of those issues has been in prison for 3 years no problems till now
he was just transfered to this prison

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimuay (Post 7664036)
Let me point out that there are a few different options here - the first of which is to find out EXACTLY why he fears for his life. Is he in a gang? Does he have debts? Is he an addict? Is he a sex offender? And there are a few other possibilities as well. Once you know that, then you can make a more reasoned approach to the issue.

xolady 09-19-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51littlemama (Post 7664109)
he has none of those issues has been in prison for 3 years no problems till now
he was just transfered to this prison

I'd have him put it on record, if you try things might get uglier for him. I don't know really about much as my husband only had a problem once and he was written up for not going to work on the roofing crew after he was back in prison after having emergency surgery, he should have been still in hospital in ICU. I called his CO, then the warden. After I blasted medical for putting him back in GP when he couldn't even walk.:). So I don't know why he's having a problem, but he needs to handle it if he can any thing like plain old harrassment if he can send you copies of whatever grievence he files!!! That's the key send out copies to family.

Laki 09-19-2017 07:59 PM

Julie Brown at Miami Herald's email is jbrown@miamiherald.com.

Ms Sunny 09-19-2017 08:16 PM

Did he say he wanted you to do this?

51littlemama 09-21-2017 09:43 AM

the only way I can gwt any info is the letters he sends
and I havent been able to get a striaght answer out of anyone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Sunny (Post 7664172)
Did he say he wanted you to do this?

Fridyrr.Likn 09-21-2017 09:52 AM

You have to understand, that especially in the case of a CO abusing an inmate, you pushing from the outside could make things much much worse for your loved one. Unless he has specifically asked you to make contact and try to get him protection I suggest you stand down and let him file the appropriate paperwork and go through the ranks until he has exhausted all his options. If he has no filed any grievances or asked for protective custody and you start making a fuss on the outside they are probably just going to laugh about it and pick on him more. It's a very slippery slope when it comes to trying to help an inmate from the outside, especially if they aren't aware of the consequences that could come from it.

Minor activist 09-21-2017 11:23 AM

>the only way I can gwt any info is the letters he sends
and I havent been able to get a striaght answer out of anyone

I can't imagine how stomach-churning that is. Feel free to ask for advice on how to keep yourself in your most effective head-space.

mrs4lifey 09-22-2017 05:59 PM

I have a different perspective. I have zero trust in the system and I personally know people that have been beaten to death and nearly to death by the FDOC. I would never wait for paperwork. People have been killed less than 24 hours after notifying their family that they were in danger. I would contact anyone and everyone and get it all on record so if anything does happen I have proof that I told them and they did nothing. Then I would spend the rest of my life fighting for change.

mrs4lifey 09-22-2017 06:01 PM

Did you read the press release about the guard that got arrested today? I am positive these aren't isolated incidents they happen each and everyday throughout the state of Florida. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/secretary/...22-Arrest.html

Fridyrr.Likn 09-29-2017 02:20 PM

Nobody is saying that CO abuse doesn't happen...but it has been seen over and over again that family stepping in when there isn't an immediate threat, can cause an immediate threat. The inmate needs to document and file grievances and talk to counselors and see if there is a resolution first. If the inmate is legitimately in fear for their life there are actions he/she can take. Until that inmate says "I think I'm going to be hurt, please call someone" I wouldn't step in. That's why in cases like this so many people ask if the inmate has asked for their LO to step in.

Many people fail to understand that what's actually happening in the unit and what someone writes home about, can be vastly different. Interpretations can also be very different. Her saying that she hasn't been able to get a straight answer, to me, is a pretty good indication that his life is not in immediate danger, and maybe he just has issues with a CO. Just my opinion. But if he truly thought his life was in danger he'd be making a stand to get away from that CO.

Minor activist 09-29-2017 03:43 PM

>If the inmate is legitimately in fear for their life there are actions he/she can take.

Please say more about what those are. Requesting protective custody? Filing grievances? Requesting a transfer? Informally or formally contacting higher-ups in the organization? Asking help from the chaplain?

Fridyrr.Likn 10-02-2017 09:55 AM

"The inmate needs to document and file grievances and talk to counselors and see if there is a resolution first."

I did

Doinaight 10-02-2017 10:40 AM

As a former inmate I have a very different perspective on this, IF he didn't ask you to call someone or do something then don't do it. It needs to be a specific request as in hey can you call this person and say this. Otherwise your going to get him locked up in segregation and he is not gonna be happy about. Especially with the person being a CO he not gonna have a good time u start calling up the prison. Usually to be put in protection you have to say your in fear for your life, but once you get there if you won't name the person or people that is threatening you then they just put you back in general population. And if you do put names out there you will be labeled a rat for the rest of your bid and that makes time harder too. They are not gonna believe an inmate is in fear of his life from a CO. I honestly don't believe it much myself. Sure it happens but its not common. Alot of CO's can be dicks but they are not gonna KILL you for no reason. Either he has given this CO a reason or he is exaggerating his concerns to you.

Minor activist 10-02-2017 11:39 AM

It's Florida, and if he did give a C/O a "reason" to kill him, that makes his fear all the easier to believe.

If he's exaggerating that his life is in danger it could still be an emergency situation. Kelly Bradley at Charlotte Correctional Institution didn't get killed, but that didn't get him his eye back. If a C/O cripples the OP's family member instead of killing him, that's still pretty bad.