Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Minnesota Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=800)
-   -   How/where to register to receive calls from a MN inmate? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674241)

Nortuss 02-03-2015 02:05 PM

How/where to register to receive calls from a MN inmate?

First, please allow me to apologize in advance for asking what may likely be viewed as a silly and/or unnecessary question.

I joined a prison pen-pal program nearly a year ago and have become quite good friends with a few of the folks that I am corresponding with. One of my pals is incarcerated at Faribault. It seems as though most prisons use Telmate for inmate calls, which is the only system I've used so far when chatting with my pals. It is also the only system I am at all familiar with.

I would like to receive a call from my somewhat new pal in Minnesota, but cannot locate much information on the state's DOC site regarding the protocol for doing so. Can anyone explain to me the required steps to register to receive phone calls from him and provide information regarding the telephone system used in Minnesota prisons? I would ask my pal, but he is quite elderly and is having a harder and harder time writing at length these days.

Any information would be very appreciated. I've used this site before regarding questions/issues with prisons in other states and have found that the folks posting here often possess much more information than even those working for the DOC.

Again, I am sorry for posing what may seem a common sense or silly question. Thank you for your time.

sass4221 02-03-2015 05:29 PM

From the MNDOC site, it appears he can call collect and it shows on your phone bill or he can buy a phone card with his money.

See page 15 of the handbook.

Do phone calls from prison cost money?
Yes. Offenders can place collect phone calls or buy a
phone card. A collect phone call will charge the recipient
of the phone call, and the phone card is pre-paid by the
offender.

Nortuss 02-04-2015 01:56 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I suppose I'm just confused as to the vetting process for phone lists. I don't need to do anything in order to be approved to receive phone calls from him?

Also, do you know if cell phones are allowed to receive collect calls from Minnesota prisons? Unfortunately, my service provider's customer service department gave me virtually no information regarding collect calls from correctional institutions.

Once again, I apologize for asking newbie-type questions and appreciate the help.

superpowers 02-04-2015 05:09 PM

PM'd you

sass4221 02-04-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirsty_bird (Post 7410344)
PM'd you

thirsty_bird, if you know the answer or have an idea, please share it here on the board so others may benefit.

superpowers 02-04-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sass4221 (Post 7410347)
thirsty_bird, if you know the answer or have an idea, please share it here on the board so others may benefit.

Apologies! I just informed OP that Google Voice is pretty popular and saves the inmates money, but I know some facilities are cracking down on it.

sass4221 02-04-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirsty_bird (Post 7410353)
Apologies! I just informed OP that Google Voice is pretty popular and saves the inmates money, but I know some facilities are cracking down on it.

A LOT, most in fact, if not all facilities are cracking down on it. Once the prison finds out you have it and yes, they will find out, calls will be suspended. It's not worth it. A phone call with a LO is more important than circumventing a rule.

OsunMM5 02-04-2015 08:52 PM

I've been using Connect Network from GTL.

You can put money on their account to call your number. I am reached on a cell phone through this service. He can also put money himself on his account and make a call.

I can't post the link, but if you type in ConnectNetwork dot com...that's the site.

Hope this helps!

PixieWings 02-08-2015 12:47 AM

I have a google voice number for an inmate friend in stillwater and never had any issue with using that system with the prison..i am not currently getting calls but that is due to he is in the hole on a different matter. I use a cell phone but he always called me prepaid so i really dont know how the collect call system works there.

Nortuss 02-08-2015 06:24 PM

Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond and provide information. :hugme:

shelljett 02-10-2015 06:15 PM

Has anyone heard of Telepigeon for phone calls? It provides the inmate with a local number to call you for a monthly fee. The inmate only pays .90 per phone call. Thanks.