Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Texas HB2120 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699716)

jjenn 03-23-2017 10:16 AM

Texas HB2120

Has anyone heard any details about the newly proposed house bill 2120? The verbiage on the bill is very vague but my husband is being told it will potentially allow good time credit for 3G offenses. Does anyone know if this is true?

CenTexLyn 03-23-2017 08:17 PM

Everybody in TDCJ is ALREADY eligible to receive good time credits in varying amounts based either on when they came into TDCJ custody or what their time-earning status happens to be.

What is being proposed is to make somewhere near 20K offenders instantly eligible for parole by applying those time credits towards the parole eligibility date. That doesn't fly with victims and prosecutors and juries.

It would be one thing if they wanted to make it a prospective change, but its failure is going to be in the efforts to make it retroactive. Complicating matters is the claim that it has no fiscal impact, a claim which ignores the added staff that would be necessary to PROCESS that many new reviews not to mention the staff in the field to supervise even 3-4K new releasees above and beyond the currently anticipated releases...

Complicating even more is that Senator Whitmire was around in the revolving door days and has repeatedly sworn we were never again going back to that era. There isn't a bedspace issue. There IS a budget issue. But he has sworn that we, as a State, are NOT going to make release decisions based on budget concerns if it places the population of the State at risk.

dtmom2013 03-24-2017 11:01 PM

When will this be voted?

D007 03-29-2017 04:25 PM

House Bill 2120 Credit for Good Time 85th Texas Legislature

There is currently a bill, HB 2120 before the Texas House of Representatives that could help get our loved ones home sooner.

I tried to include some links below, but the forum won't let me because I am new. I included partial links below. You will have to add the http and www part to them to get them to work.

If family and friends don't call the committee members and their representative this bill will die in committee and never even make it to be voted on.

If passed this bill would give our guys credit for their good time, which with 3g offenses they aren't getting now.

.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB2120

Here is the link to the Committee Member page:

.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=C200

Here is where anyone can find their current rep to call:

.house.state.tx.us/members/find-your-representative/

Below is the letter I sent to the ACLU of Texas a little earlier today.

Good Afternoon,

There is currently a bill languishing in the Corrections Committee in the Texas Legislature. The passage of House Bill 2120 would allow inmates who have committed 3g offenses to have their good time included in their consideration for parole. It is very important that this bill pass as it has the potential to reduce the inmate population, heal families, and significantly reduce the financial strain on Texas. The inmates who are obtaining good time are showing they have made the necessary changes within themselves to be productive members of the community. Not allowing them to get credit for their good behavior, work ethic, and participation in rehabilitative and reformative programs at TDCJ is punishing them twice and costing the state a lot of money. Though the nature of these crimes are serious, these inmates are able to repent, change internally, and be productive members of society. God grants us all free will to turn from our harmful ways. Denying the consideration of good time is to deny the grace and forgiveness of God to these specific inmates.

There is a lot of fear mongering around this Bill. Passage of HB 2120 does not suddenly set dangerous criminals free. It only makes the good behavior of these people a consideration for their release. Other offenders already receive this consideration. Release is still completely at the discretion of the Parole Board. People who still pose a danger will remain in prison, but those who are ready to be an asset to their community will have the opportunity to be free. Some of the 3g offenses have ruined lives. Keeping people in prison who have repented and changed themselves is just ruining another life. We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

Texas has an extremely high incarceration rate when compared to other states. The human cost is exceptional in terms of destroyed marriages, parent-less children, and impoverished families. The financial burden of keeping reformed individuals in prison is siphoning resources from our state that could be employed much better. The passage of this bill will be a financial and a human benefits to Texas.

Robsbae 04-09-2017 12:39 AM

Totally agree with D007 !
I saw on the website of TIFA (Texas Inmate Families Association) , that they have a petition that can be signed.

The more people do, and like in your message, call or mail representatives and such, the more it has a change , and it will get our loved ones home, the daddies home, the men home, into our families and communities.
The parole board has the decision to release those inmates, its not all of a sudden that our towns are flooding with dangerous people. This bill is, to me, a win-win possibility.

yin2015 04-22-2017 01:19 PM

is the petition still available? my LO is a 3G offender n was optimistic about this. He wanted me to get more info about it. If you can let me know what additional support is out there in which Senate can hear our voices regardind this proposed bill that will be great! thank you

AuroraSkye 05-11-2017 10:05 AM

Hi guys, I read online that this will take effect as of September 1st 2017....?

CenTexLyn 05-11-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraSkye (Post 7628232)
Hi guys, I read online that this will take effect as of September 1st 2017....?

It will NOT be taking effect. The effective date IF PASSED might have been September 1st, but it never even made it out of Committee.

Mybabejames 05-12-2017 05:43 AM

Pending

I check these every other day on the 85th texas legislature online bill lookup. Its current status is pending since 3/20/2017

JamesInLA 05-23-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybabejames (Post 7628508)
I check these every other day on the 85th texas legislature online bill lookup. Its current status is pending since 3/20/2017

Does this mean that the Bill might still pass? I hope so ..... thank you.

Mybabejames 05-23-2017 04:01 AM

I really dont know. My husband said that most of the bills pertaining to prison reform dont get voted on til June. She may be correct. It is just sitting there with no other actions. You can check on the Texas 85th legislature website bill lookup. Ill keep checking as well

CenTexLyn 05-23-2017 06:38 AM

Things that are left in Committee months ago are NOT going to be in Calendars with a week to go until Sine Die.

And the only thing that MIGHT get voted in June would be anything introduced in Special Session, which means that in order to pass, HB2120 has to be re-drafted and re-introduced under whatever new Bill number is assigned.

mama jo 06-09-2017 04:14 PM

Does this mean the bill has passed or is it still being looked at with the special session just a desperate lonely mother for her son I want him to get out as soon as possible what can I sign

CenTexLyn 06-09-2017 04:48 PM

No. It never left Committee. Anything not passed by Sine Die is dead. This is not something that would be expected to be revisited during a Special Session.

mama jo 06-09-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenTexLyn (Post 7635843)
No. It never left Committee. Anything not passed by Sine Die is dead. This is not something that would be expected to be revisited during a Special Session.

[emoji41] so don't count on anything

mama jo 06-15-2017 09:20 AM

I am just so confused I'm 63 and this is just too much politics not wrapping around my head[emoji29] [emoji30]

mama jo 06-15-2017 09:26 AM

[emoji38] [emoji33] I love Texas but they are the slowest state to do anything for offenders it doesn't matter what they've done or if they are the slowest no video chats with JPay like other states it's just ridiculous the state of Texas is slow up anything except for killing people

CenTexLyn 06-15-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama jo (Post 7637413)
[emoji38] [emoji33] I love Texas but they are the slowest state to do anything for offenders it doesn't matter what they've done or if they are the slowest no video chats with JPay like other states it's just ridiculous the state of Texas is slow up anything except for killing people

It was not realistic to expect that retroactive changes would be made regarding parole eligibility. To do so would piss off every single voter that ever sat on a jury and would also serve to increase the plea offers made going forward. Remember that Whitmire was around in the revolving door era and swore we would NEVER go back to those practices...

Video chats often come at the expense of losing in-person visitation. Beware what you wish for...

mama jo 06-16-2017 09:48 AM

I'm not saying I want to start human contact it's just that it's the 14-hour drive to see my son I'm 63 and sometimes I can handle it I haven't seen my son in 3 years I was just thinking that video chat Skype when you can visit don't stop the human contact when you can go and visit oh no I'm not saying that not at all that would be my worst nightmare one of them anyway I think you so much for listening I appreciate it so much thank you[emoji41]

Tookie2010 06-22-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenTexLyn (Post 7628423)
It will NOT be taking effect. The effective date IF PASSED might have been September 1st, but it never even made it out of Committee.

It actually says pending in committee. It didn't say that it failed.

CenTexLyn 06-22-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tookie2010 (Post 7639805)
It actually says pending in committee. It didn't say that it failed.

Considering that the Session is OVER, it failed. If it did not get out of Committee, it went NOWHERE. It never got voted on by the full body much less making it to the Senate for a vote.

I miss the days when Civics were actually taught in public schools...

CAS2017 10-18-2017 02:37 PM

Myself and another wife are working on this

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjenn (Post 7611904)
Has anyone heard any details about the newly proposed house bill 2120? The verbiage on the bill is very vague but my husband is being told it will potentially allow good time credit for 3G offenses. Does anyone know if this is true?

Hi....

Texas HB 2120 is pretty dead. It was introduced by two Democrats; Thompson a female and Canales a male, and it was left pending while the House went into recess. Myself and another wife of an offender, who non-coincidentally just happens to be in Representative Thompson's district, have another petition going around, that just started. We're going to meet this Sunday afternoon to put together a game plan to get this petition out to the public, get mire support for this Bill and make appointments to meet with Thompson and Canales, to be heard at the session it can hopefully be re-introduced at. Our hope and "NEED" to make this happen is to have actual bodies go with us to Austin to attend the session and be heard. We WILL encounter resistance, but we're NOT just going to lay down and give up without a good fight! People make mistakes; some small mistakes, others big mistakes. Some mistakes are permanent and can't ever be made up for. But, each and everyone of these 3G offenders are going to get a 2nd chance at some point, whether the public or the victim's families like it. The very best way these men can even begin to apologize for their crimes or prove they are changed in heart, soul and mind is do what they can while incarcerated to change and become better. They can learn a trade, get an education, denounce their gang affiliations, and/or find God or some type of religion of their own choosing that enables them to be better citizens and people, and help their fellow inmates to be better as well. By doing these things while incarcerated, they'll be a step ahead when released to be able to adjust to the free world life so they can get a job, be the parents they're meant to be, spouses or significant others they're meant to be, and productive, law-abiding citizens they're meant to be. Anyway... my friend and I are working on getting this bill reintroduced to the House and we WILL work diligently to get it passed! Our husbands are 3G offenders and we WANT them home as much as we NEED them home! If you want to sign the petition, whether for against it, it can be found at Change.org. Search for HB 2120 and it will be the one by Tarra Love-Richmond regarding 3G Offenders Goodtime......

tarrapink 10-19-2017 07:40 AM

Please stand and fight with us! We need help to push this bill in effect!! Please support and sign the petition online!! We need at least 75 more signatures! Do your part, even if it's just a small part!

rlwhitmore 12-14-2017 09:24 AM

Good time

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenTexLyn (Post 7612141)
Everybody in TDCJ is ALREADY eligible to receive good time credits in varying amounts based either on when they came into TDCJ custody or what their time-earning status happens to be.

What is being proposed is to make somewhere near 20K offenders instantly eligible for parole by applying those time credits towards the parole eligibility date. That doesn't fly with victims and prosecutors and juries.

It would be one thing if they wanted to make it a prospective change, but its failure is going to be in the efforts to make it retroactive. Complicating matters is the claim that it has no fiscal impact, a claim which ignores the added staff that would be necessary to PROCESS that many new reviews not to mention the staff in the field to supervise even 3-4K new releasees above and beyond the currently anticipated releases...

Complicating even more is that Senator Whitmire was around in the revolving door days and has repeatedly sworn we were never again going back to that era. There isn't a bedspace issue. There IS a budget issue. But he has sworn that we, as a State, are NOT going to make release decisions based on budget concerns if it places the population of the State at risk.

Everyone is eligible for good time? I'm not sure that is correct. My husband is not receiving any good time.

CAS2017 12-14-2017 09:54 AM

TDCJ Good time Credit

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlwhitmore (Post 7686119)
Everyone is eligible for good time? I'm not sure that is correct. My husband is not receiving any good time.

If your husband is not on death row or serving a life sentence, then yes, he is earning "good time" credits. He can request his time sheet. It will have a break down of his time. If he has not had any major cases since he's been incarcerated and he's worked since he's been incarcerated then he will have accumulated "good time" credits.