Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=637)
-   -   Son in Fishkill SHU.. (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666598)

hismomforever!! 08-08-2014 06:36 AM

Son in Fishkill SHU..

my son was sentenced to 90 days in box, then they took 2 months of good time away. is this normal? any info will be helpful.

thatwiz 08-08-2014 07:26 AM

Depending on what he did, yes, it happens.

safran 08-08-2014 07:32 AM

That's pretty much for all prison, state and federal, for breaking rules. Many times they also ban all their visits too.

hismomforever!! 08-08-2014 09:28 AM

Thank you, he can have visits on Saturday nights only. Do they ever shorten the SHU stay?

safran 08-08-2014 09:49 AM

Sorry, I only know about federal prisons.

Is he allowed to have paperback books sent in? Crosswords? Work Search? Anything to pass the time helps.

Ms Sunny 08-08-2014 11:38 AM

He can appeal his ticket while he is in the box. There is a procedure and paperwork he can request from law library while in the shu. The time my be modified while he is in the box, but more often it is done after the fact. He can get mail, but you best bet would be to check on the package rules at Fishkill. Keep the faith, and keep the letters going. He needs that support in there.

Combs 08-08-2014 02:27 PM

+1---Definitely check with Fishkill about packages, phone calls and visits. I was there for 18 months, worked in the Law Library for 15 months and knew a number of guys who did box time. 90 days in the box with loss of 60 days of good time is a bit on the stiff side (or at least it would have been 6 years ago). The typical box stint I remember was 30 to 60 days. With luck, he may be able to get the good time reinstated later. I believe I remember that being fairly common. I get the feeling the violation that caused this was badly received by Fishkill admin and sorry to say it, but I donít remember anybody getting box time cut back while I was there. I remember ticket appeals as being mostly unproductive. Best wishes and good luck to you and your son with this thing...

thatwiz 08-08-2014 02:33 PM

He should always appeal tho' because if he is ever incarcerated again, your record follows you and whatever you can get off there the better it is for you. My husband has an Article 78 that he won many years ago, of course, the State appealed and it is still in court-he was out and back in again during all that time, but if his argument holds up, it will help other inmates in the future.

Combs 08-09-2014 07:58 AM

@thatwiz---Youíre absolutely right and I totally agree. I was looking at the situation from a linear, immediate (i.e: tunnel-visioned) perspective and not thinking of the bigger picture over the long haul. I stand corrected. The son in the Fishkill box should definitely appeal the whole thing---to the max and in every possible way. I still believe the odds of doing so helping his situation are close to zero, but the appeal could benefit somebody else in the long run.

The Fishkill Law Library sends a guy on a daily milk run tour through the box every weekday afternoon (at least they did 6 years ago). Collar the guy who does the run the next time he comes through, get the LL on the case and file that appeal!

Thanks to thatwiz for the reality check. I obviously needed it. Got my brain back working again now, though...

hismomforever!! 08-11-2014 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone, i got to see him this weekend, he told me he was told by his bunky to appeal and he did, it was reduced to 60 days. As far as I know he still looses the 2 mo good time. But...parole just contacted the place where he said he was going to live and they say hes getting out in Sept his original date. My son says not until Nov. The website also says Nov. could it be parole doesn't know about the change in date?

Combs 08-12-2014 09:21 AM

Congrats to and good for your son and you, too! I think getting 30 days knocked off of the box is more important than losing 60 days of good time. You can live a semi-tolerable existence in Fishkill GP, but IMO not so in the box.

I donít know if they still do it there, but Fishkill used to put as many as they could (depending on open beds) of the guys getting out of the box into the "Network ProgramĒ housing unit. I was in the NP house for almost my whole time at Fishkill and I recommend it. Itís kind of like Boy Scouts for prisoners in prison. Big emphasis on in-house meetings, self-improvement programs, "taking responsibility for oneís lifeĒ and all that ďBoy Scout-type stuffĒ. Some may think itís corny but the truly bad dogs donít dig that stuff, so they bail out fast. I always thought we had an above-average house because of that. We had less trouble than a lot of houses back when I was there. If your son can get into the NP house for his last couple months at Fishkill, I donít think itíd hurt and I recommend it. Get into a Porter Pool job and chill out reading and watching TV. Good luck with whatever he ends up doing.

On your question--- IMO Parole isnít famous for having their act together. If your son and the website are saying Nov but Parole thinks Sept, Iíd bet my money on your son and the website.

Tell your son to try to have a couple quiet last months at Fishkill (maybe in the NP house?) after he gets out of the box and look forward to being home for Thanksgiving. Good luck to both of you.