Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Prison Talk & UCMJ (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1449)
-   -   Miramar Brig Anyone served there? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240807)

bbbb 12-07-2006 03:35 PM

Miramar Brig Anyone served there?
 
I am a mother of a 25 yr old son who is currently there. It is a internet SO. I am looking for anyone that has served there and answer some questions about the place. He tells me he is fine and it is OK there. He talks like he is at a camp. Is this the real story or is he lying? Thanks for any reply.

Forever1037 12-10-2006 10:26 PM

my husband at miramar too
 
Yeah are you having problems finding anything out also? I cant get clear answeres from anyone including my husband. And i am not sure the answers i am getting i like.

Have you tried looking for some information about miramar brig online? I have only found one very vague website.

Sometimes i forget i am dealing with the military....

But yes i am sorry to hear about you son.. God bless him and i hope he gets to come home soon:)

bbbb 12-11-2006 09:50 AM

Forever1037 thanks for the reply. What I am geting is it is OK. He seems to like it and it sounds like he is well cared for. It might be because of where they held him before going there, as that "civilian" place was a hell hole and that was just the holding area. So I was just wondering if that is why he sounds so happy there. He has said it is like basic only less exercise. Which if true, for our loved ones alot better than a civiliam prison! Yes I have looked on line and what I found was wrong info, I am allowed to send his magazines and books, but he has a limited area so I only send what he asks for. Hopefully more will answer our thread and maybe someone that is either working there or has been there. Honolulu, WOW! Both my boys were born at the pink hospital on the hill. Best wishes sent you way!!

bbbb 01-03-2007 10:11 PM

Forever1037 I have invited Luvssks here to see if he can answer some of our questions. And get a Q and A going with someone who has been there.
Luvssks, if you are here Thanks for coming as I have stated above; 1) He seems to be in a camp type setting. Is he sugar coating it for me or is it true? 2) He says no one bothers him and in fact not that many people know why he is there, this particular statement makes me think he is lying to me. I thought everyone knows what everyone is there for? 3) He is so glad to be out of the NJ civilain jail he was held in until they moved him to CA. We are discussing him giving up parole and just serving his time out(2 yrs-good behavior days?). That way he can not get put in a civilain jail if his parole officer and him do not get along. 4) Can you give me a real idea of what he faces day in and day out. Thats all for now. Thanks ahead of time
bbbb

Forever1037 02-23-2007 12:35 AM

I wish i knew more... I am headed out tonight on a redeye to go see my husband this weekend at Mirimar...

It will be the first time i have seen him since sometime in JUne... I hope i can see for myself that he is okay... and that all the good things he keeps telling me are true...

bbbb.... sorry for not talking to you sooner... I will try and get back on here when i get home monday... and tell you all i found out and what i saw...

maybe i can answer some questions for both of us...

God Bless...

ps... that pink hospital... i can see it from my lanai or balcony or whatever you want to call it:)

bbbb 02-23-2007 02:22 PM

Hi Forever1037, Thanks for the ps it made me smile and think of better times. I call it a lanai also left over from my days there.
I hope you have a good flight and visit. I hope the things they are telling us are true and that it is really not that bad. As I read more of these postings I am glad he is in miramar if what he is saying is true.
He has turned doen his parole hearing and will stay the whole time so that once he is out he does not have the parole civilian person to deal.
I have thought about going to visit him but not sure it is an imagine I want as I know I will never forget it. He does not want me there and has told me no but if I should up he would see me. Just not sure what to do.
So if you get any info from them let me know.
Best wishes to your and yours
BBBB

bbbb 03-04-2007 11:59 AM

Forever1037 How was the trip? Hope it was good to see him. I know things are probably hectic and your are busy. When you have time give a shout on how it was. Thinking of you and yours
bbbb

Forever1037 03-13-2007 03:03 PM

BBBB,
You know what... my husband looked great. He was healthy, and as happy as he could be. He had friends that were waving at me across the visitation room. And one guuy who didn't have any visitors managed to get someone to walk him through the visitation area so he could see me. Everyone there was extremely nice and helpful. And yeha i do think aside form the barb wire around the place and the way all the door are elctronically opened( which broke my heart because my husband is not a violent guy) it did look like a summer camp. I saw guys in a courtyard working out. They were joking around and laughing.


My husband wanted me to come see him. So i am not sure what it is that is keeping you son from wanting you there. I know my husband doesn't want his mother to see him there. But then again she is a very emotional woman and he doesnt want to put her through that. Maybe it makes it to real? You wont be able to visit him without him wanting you there. The men and women have to send a visitation apporval form to the officers to get approval. So dont go and show up there. Maybe next time you talk to him you could jsut tell how you want to see that he is okay. It really made me feel alot better and i had alot of questions answered for me that 30 minute phone conversations dont give rise to.

Off to work now

God Bless,
Sarah

bbbb 03-15-2007 08:35 PM

I have reread your notes so many times and each time I feel alittle better as I now know he is probably not lieing and that means he is ok. Thanks for the notes and I hope all is better at your end, atleast now we know it is kinda like a summer camp and they are safe. I hope all is well and keep smiling!!!!!

strongmom_40 05-04-2007 02:19 PM

hi forever1037,


My son is also in Miramar, he really does not talk much about it. He was transferred from honolulu brigg soon after his sentence. We are going to go visit him soon. Anything special that we need to know?

hpfoundation 10-16-2007 10:37 AM

Hope
 
Hello I may can answer some questions about this place and also offer my assistance to you. Check out my site.wwwhelpingothersprospereffectively.org

taketa 10-26-2007 12:34 PM

taketa
 
Hi my son just arrrived at miramar 2 weeks ago only 1 phone call I'am here about it. No mail yet.What a nightmare! From all I read of the Threads below it sounds not to bad. Can any of you keep in touch with me I really would appreciate it very much. It is so hard when they are so far away from us right? I live in PA> my son was in the Air Force 21 yrs. He has lost everything. My heart aces for him.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpfoundation
Hello I may can answer some questions about this place and also offer my assistance to you. Check out my site.wwwhelpingothersprospereffectively.org


??_USA_?? 02-14-2008 11:50 AM

going
 
I'm so glad to find this site.

I am currently awaiting a GCM and if convicted facing 18-36mo at miramar.

Thank you all for the info I've gotten already. I'm searching hard for info so I can be best prepared.

rebecca88330 11-11-2008 06:01 PM

My husband has just recently been transferred to Miramar. Reading these posts has made my heart a little lighter. I have only had one phone call from him since he's been there, so I was worried about him. Good to hear these things from people who know.

airforcewifejl 03-01-2010 09:29 PM

My husband might possibly be sent to Mirimar as well. Any pointers on what to expect? I can't believe this is happening- he is an innocent man :/

nohotboy69 04-02-2010 08:53 AM

miramar
 
well visitation is saturday and sunday from 1 to 3. the facily seems to be nice. my wife is there and has 4 months left on her sentence. the military justice system is so f'd up I feel you pain. me and my kids travel from new mexico at least once a month to visit my wife. there r nearby hotels the best western and holiday inn both are nice hotels
Quote:

Originally Posted by airforcewifejl (Post 5257788)
My husband might possibly be sent to Mirimar as well. Any pointers on what to expect? I can't believe this is happening- he is an innocent man :/


airforced222 07-11-2010 11:02 AM

I served a five year sentence at Miramar. I will tell you this about the place: I really enjoyed it there. It gave me a chance to find myself. Your friends and loved ones really need to hear from you often while they are there. There's nothing worse that seeing guys sitting around and watching TV while they call out the mail because they know nothing is coming. You loved ones locked away here are in a safe place. The inmates all are prior military members; so there is still a lot of pride. There's two "dorms" or "wards". They are divided up by two classes of personality. Alpha-males and passive males, but the staff will not tell you this. I was in the B3 dorm, which was the more aggressive dorm and I am fit and popular. The "blue-chair-potatoes" get picked on a lot for not going outside and enjoying recreation time. They are called that because the chairs are blue in the common areas where the TVs are. When you first arrive, you are put into D-Seg for an unknown amount of time while the staff figures out if you are safe for general-pop, the B-1 dorm. This is the induction dorm and it is divided up into two sides. One side is for the guys who will stay in the B-1 one dorm for awhile, mainly the detainees who are awaiting trial. The other side is for the guys waiting for a slot in the two previously mentioned dorms. B-2 or B-3. I will be honest; you want your loved one to go to the more dominate-male dorm. It will toughen them up in a relatively safe environment. The other will just allow them to continue they way they are and probably hide the kind of behavior that got them in here in the first place. By-the-way, this is the place that the military puts convicted sex-offenders. Let that sink-in for a minuet or two. If your loved one is here, and they have not told you why yet, you need to start asking questions when you are ready to hear the answers. Sure, there are a few, a VERY few here that are not, but with no exaggeration, I am talking about five out of three-hundred that are not S.O.s. Once your loved one is placed in the induction dorm, their life gets easier right away. They begin the one week induction class. They can begin sending mail. It you send money to your loved one, YOU MUST SEND IT AS A MONEY ORDER TO THEIR NAME!!!!! Anything else will be sent back or torn in half!!!!! They accept most major money orders. My mom, wife, and friends used western union and I never had any trouble. SEND NOTHING BUT MAIL OR MONEY ORDERS!!!! Any "care-packages" get mailed back at your loved-ones expense, or get tossed into the trash. While I was there, we could still receive paper-back books, but they were talking about changing it. This was back in 2008, so I do know what to tell you about this. Your loved one wants a job out in industries. I worked in the wood-shop for two years. I loved it. No, they will not get paid for ANYTHING! The brig gets away with doing this by calling all the jobs "training." I recommend laundry, wood-shop, welding, supply, or the warehouse. You are relatively left alone by the staff as you work and it's the only sense of normal life in the whole place. Um, once they are placed in one of the two dorms, they can ask for a job. They will soon have their own room, depending on space. Right now is a pretty critical time for them. They need to learn how to "fit-in." Stay quiet, keep you head down AND BE RESPECTFUL TO THE OLD TIMERS!!! Anyone who has been there for more than a year they need to respect. Do this, and they will be everyone's friend soon enough. Once they are in the "in-crowd", they just need to go outside and enjoy the sun for rec-call, maybe lift weights every once in a while, go to work, and run on the tread-mill. Do this for the remainder of the time and it'll be easy for them. However, if they have a hard time adjusting to this, then, they will more than likely be labeled an outcast. They do not want this.

MAYRANICE 07-20-2010 02:19 PM

my husband was in miramar for a month... gettin the barber certification....
he said its a really nice people, they have their own room, alot of privacy, and everything is really nice... he prefered to be in miramar instead of ft.lewis...

kaoswifey106 07-22-2010 02:46 PM

thank you very much for this information....i have no clue where my husband is going to be transferred but this is one of the places that he might be transferred too....so i appreciate any information, so i worry less!

cgizzle 07-01-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airforced222 (Post 5520330)
I served a five year sentence at Miramar. I will tell you this about the place: I really enjoyed it there. It gave me a chance to find myself. Your friends and loved ones really need to hear from you often while they are there. There's nothing worse that seeing guys sitting around and watching TV while they call out the mail because they know nothing is coming. You loved ones locked away here are in a safe place. The inmates all are prior military members; so there is still a lot of pride. There's two "dorms" or "wards". They are divided up by two classes of personality. Alpha-males and passive males, but the staff will not tell you this. I was in the B3 dorm, which was the more aggressive dorm and I am fit and popular. The "blue-chair-potatoes" get picked on a lot for not going outside and enjoying recreation time. They are called that because the chairs are blue in the common areas where the TVs are. When you first arrive, you are put into D-Seg for an unknown amount of time while the staff figures out if you are safe for general-pop, the B-1 dorm. This is the induction dorm and it is divided up into two sides. One side is for the guys who will stay in the B-1 one dorm for awhile, mainly the detainees who are awaiting trial. The other side is for the guys waiting for a slot in the two previously mentioned dorms. B-2 or B-3. I will be honest; you want your loved one to go to the more dominate-male dorm. It will toughen them up in a relatively safe environment. The other will just allow them to continue they way they are and probably hide the kind of behavior that got them in here in the first place. By-the-way, this is the place that the military puts convicted sex-offenders. Let that sink-in for a minuet or two. If your loved one is here, and they have not told you why yet, you need to start asking questions when you are ready to hear the answers. Sure, there are a few, a VERY few here that are not, but with no exaggeration, I am talking about five out of three-hundred that are not S.O.s. Once your loved one is placed in the induction dorm, their life gets easier right away. They begin the one week induction class. They can begin sending mail. It you send money to your loved one, YOU MUST SEND IT AS A MONEY ORDER TO THEIR NAME!!!!! Anything else will be sent back or torn in half!!!!! They accept most major money orders. My mom, wife, and friends used western union and I never had any trouble. SEND NOTHING BUT MAIL OR MONEY ORDERS!!!! Any "care-packages" get mailed back at your loved-ones expense, or get tossed into the trash. While I was there, we could still receive paper-back books, but they were talking about changing it. This was back in 2008, so I do know what to tell you about this. Your loved one wants a job out in industries. I worked in the wood-shop for two years. I loved it. No, they will not get paid for ANYTHING! The brig gets away with doing this by calling all the jobs "training." I recommend laundry, wood-shop, welding, supply, or the warehouse. You are relatively left alone by the staff as you work and it's the only sense of normal life in the whole place. Um, once they are placed in one of the two dorms, they can ask for a job. They will soon have their own room, depending on space. Right now is a pretty critical time for them. They need to learn how to "fit-in." Stay quiet, keep you head down AND BE RESPECTFUL TO THE OLD TIMERS!!! Anyone who has been there for more than a year they need to respect. Do this, and they will be everyone's friend soon enough. Once they are in the "in-crowd", they just need to go outside and enjoy the sun for rec-call, maybe lift weights every once in a while, go to work, and run on the tread-mill. Do this for the remainder of the time and it'll be easy for them. However, if they have a hard time adjusting to this, then, they will more than likely be labeled an outcast. They do not want this.


All of this is true, i was in miramar as well... and the food, you get lobster sometimes and crab, if you work in the kitchen (i did for a year), you can eat whatever you want for the most part... Industries used to be the best job's but now its very strict out there, due to females and males having contact... (there are female prisoners that work with u). I was in b3 as well... key thing is to always be respectful, and you will get it back , and also be respectful to people who "dbo" certain things aka, seats, and or places in the chow line. If you get in our way.. or their way, there will be a confrontation... so just be respectful. Other than that it is an easy prison... i was there for 2.5 yrs... and saw only 5 fights ... only two of which were actually bloody faces and eyes swollen... It is actually a good routine of fitness... and reading, and work.... they really keep you balanced for the most part... Most homeless people would kill to live in miramar... it's really nice... the only sucky part is no sex, and you are locked up.... thats really all thats too bad about it.

oakland43 08-05-2011 10:08 PM

about miramar
 
i just got out 2 months ago after doing 2 years at miramar.... rest assured that place is a piece of cake. I ate lobster TWICE while I was there... they serve pizza, ice cream, and everything you can think of.... there are rarely any fights.. as long as u keep outta other peoples way they will do the same... its a complete daycare.... i would suggest writing him and put some money on his phone... the phones there are ridiculous... 40 cents per minute....

butterfly4u16 12-01-2011 07:22 PM

Hello, my husband is in Germany but it might be transferred to Miramar. Please anyone has any info about that place recently??? I am very worried about him :( Thank you!!!

Alh362 05-21-2012 12:22 AM

Hello everyone my husband is being sent to miramar in San Diego level 2 could you just tell me a little bit about it? As this is a very stressful time having him gone and almost due with our first child thank you for your help

sidewalker 05-21-2012 07:26 AM

Hi Alh, I moved your post to the military forums. I hope someone here can assist you that knows more about it. This thread might help.

btw.....congrats on the baby.

Alh362 05-22-2012 03:57 PM

My husband is being sent there I was wondering how it was? I hear there are alot of programs etc..

Alh362 05-22-2012 03:58 PM

Sidewalker thank you! Only 3weekshave to go I'm hoping he will get to see her before he goes there

afspouse 06-13-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alh362 (Post 6777895)
Sidewalker thank you! Only 3weekshave to go I'm hoping he will get to see her before he goes there

My husband went through court martial in August and was sentenced to 15 months at Miramar. He did a weekend in county before heading out to Vandenberg AFB for two months while he was being out processed from his duty station before he finally arrived at the brig. In February he was up for parole, which took 3 more months before he heard back and on the 30th, he was approved to be released. So he is on parole now but at his parent's house in OK (our son & I live in CA). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will answer whatever I can and have no problem hasseling my hubby for more answers. :)

Hellokt86 06-24-2012 02:41 PM

Phone calls
 
Hi, my husband was just sent to Miramar last week for 3 months. I'm trying to figure out a way to put money on a phone account for him. Is it correct that I can send him a money order and he can apply that to making phone calls? Also, I have been told that he can receive stamps if I order them through USPS and have them mailed to him there. Can anyone tell me if that's correct? Any information I can get will be helpful.

Thanks :)

Kate_Miramar 08-16-2012 12:56 AM

You can only send a money order to the prisoners name

Prisoner's Name
PO Box 452136
San Diego, Ca

The stamps the prisoner will buy with the money that you put in his account. You can not send stamps, even if they are from the USPS. Also you can only send books and such directly from a website, such as amazon.

If you need any other Info, I just visited on Monday and am returning in 16 days to visit my boyfriend again!

I know its a difficult time so If I can help at all with any information just messgae me!

-kate

lsusan99 05-11-2013 09:03 PM

Life after miramar??
 
Question for former Miramar inmate(s): Did the staff help you prepare for life after prison? What are you doing now? What's the job situation like? My 22 year old son has been in Miramar for a month, serving a 3 year sentence. I appreciate anything you can tell me, thanks!

Subie24 05-23-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsusan99 (Post 7141044)
Question for former Miramar inmate(s): Did the staff help you prepare for life after prison? What are you doing now? What's the job situation like? My 22 year old son has been in Miramar for a month, serving a 3 year sentence. I appreciate anything you can tell me, thanks!

My son was at Charleston for a year. They have classes that they can take - I believe Miramar is similar to Charleston. They also can work (probably have to) and they can take college classes. We had to but the books and send them directly through amazon but he was able to use his gi bill for the classes. Have him take as many as he can and clep what he can too. It all amounts to "good time" which significantly shortens his time. My son was supposed to serve 2 years but ended up at about 18 months (he was in the brig at his base prior to his trial).

I know how hard this is as a parent. I hope you're holding up ok. I'm not on too often now but feel free to pm me. Good luck to you and to your son.

Subie24 05-23-2013 07:58 PM

Just realized you're also from NJ.....

LC122513 06-07-2015 11:02 PM

Need a 2015 update on this. Anyone newly served there? My fiancée is going to be serving time there. How much GC days do inmates get off each month? Anyone know about the sex offender program? What are new phone call prices and visiting policy? Website is down.

buddha1 03-14-2016 09:58 AM

If anyone has questions I served 18 months.
Non sex offender related so I can't speak for that program but I'll get notified of any questions and hopefully respond in a timely manner.

charlo22 02-05-2017 08:39 PM

worried husband
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by airforced222 (Post 5520330)
I served a five year sentence at Miramar. I will tell you this about the place: I really enjoyed it there. It gave me a chance to find myself. Your friends and loved ones really need to hear from you often while they are there. There's nothing worse that seeing guys sitting around and watching TV while they call out the mail because they know nothing is coming. You loved ones locked away here are in a safe place. The inmates all are prior military members; so there is still a lot of pride. There's two "dorms" or "wards". They are divided up by two classes of personality. Alpha-males and passive males, but the staff will not tell you this. I was in the B3 dorm, which was the more aggressive dorm and I am fit and popular. The "blue-chair-potatoes" get picked on a lot for not going outside and enjoying recreation time. They are called that because the chairs are blue in the common areas where the TVs are. When you first arrive, you are put into D-Seg for an unknown amount of time while the staff figures out if you are safe for general-pop, the B-1 dorm. This is the induction dorm and it is divided up into two sides. One side is for the guys who will stay in the B-1 one dorm for awhile, mainly the detainees who are awaiting trial. The other side is for the guys waiting for a slot in the two previously mentioned dorms. B-2 or B-3. I will be honest; you want your loved one to go to the more dominate-male dorm. It will toughen them up in a relatively safe environment. The other will just allow them to continue they way they are and probably hide the kind of behavior that got them in here in the first place. By-the-way, this is the place that the military puts convicted sex-offenders. Let that sink-in for a minuet or two. If your loved one is here, and they have not told you why yet, you need to start asking questions when you are ready to hear the answers. Sure, there are a few, a VERY few here that are not, but with no exaggeration, I am talking about five out of three-hundred that are not S.O.s. Once your loved one is placed in the induction dorm, their life gets easier right away. They begin the one week induction class. They can begin sending mail. It you send money to your loved one, YOU MUST SEND IT AS A MONEY ORDER TO THEIR NAME!!!!! Anything else will be sent back or torn in half!!!!! They accept most major money orders. My mom, wife, and friends used western union and I never had any trouble. SEND NOTHING BUT MAIL OR MONEY ORDERS!!!! Any "care-packages" get mailed back at your loved-ones expense, or get tossed into the trash. While I was there, we could still receive paper-back books, but they were talking about changing it. This was back in 2008, so I do know what to tell you about this. Your loved one wants a job out in industries. I worked in the wood-shop for two years. I loved it. No, they will not get paid for ANYTHING! The brig gets away with doing this by calling all the jobs "training." I recommend laundry, wood-shop, welding, supply, or the warehouse. You are relatively left alone by the staff as you work and it's the only sense of normal life in the whole place. Um, once they are placed in one of the two dorms, they can ask for a job. They will soon have their own room, depending on space. Right now is a pretty critical time for them. They need to learn how to "fit-in." Stay quiet, keep you head down AND BE RESPECTFUL TO THE OLD TIMERS!!! Anyone who has been there for more than a year they need to respect. Do this, and they will be everyone's friend soon enough. Once they are in the "in-crowd", they just need to go outside and enjoy the sun for rec-call, maybe lift weights every once in a while, go to work, and run on the tread-mill. Do this for the remainder of the time and it'll be easy for them. However, if they have a hard time adjusting to this, then, they will more than likely be labeled an outcast. They do not want this.

random question. my wife is in there for pre trial confinement what does that mean. does that mean that they are going to some type of court martial trial or they are just there just to be held. also my wife is also 10 weeks pregnant do you thin that they might be more sensitive towards the situation


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online