Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=915)
-   -   Move to a Work Release Center (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720113)

TimB94 10-11-2019 07:13 PM

Move to a Work Release Center

My friend is waiting to be transferred to a work release center and I have a few questions.

1. It is my understanding that he will be able to purchase a cell phone. Is he limited to calls to his current call list or is he able to call anyone? Can I call him?
2. Will it still go through Securus and will I still have to maintain an account with Securus?
3. Will I still be able to send money through JPay or does that end when he is in work release?
4. I heard that as far as visitation only immediate family members may visit? Is this correct?

I will be appreciative for any additional information.

Thank you

GingerM 10-12-2019 05:38 AM

I wish I had answers for you. Hopefully someone will be along soon who does.

But congrats on moving to work release! That's fantastic!

SStreet4 11-11-2019 08:36 AM

Good morning,

My LO was just transferred to a work release center so I can try to answer some of your questions. I will say that every facility is different so what is true for me may not be true for whatever facility your LO ends up at.

Yes, he can have a cell. Our facility only allows flip phones on prepaid plans. I had to buy a new phone and send it in with the package unactivated. I understand some facilities allow smart phones.

Our facility is a contract facility, so no more securus. In fact, they took his tablet upon arrival. so no more music, movies or emails.

He can call any number once they release his cell phone to him. You can call and text him. The tough part is waiting for them to release the phone since they don't have payphones he can use in the meantime.

we were told the best way to give him money is to drop it off at the center and get a receipt. funds sent by JPAY will take 6-8 weeks to be processed.

At our facility you just had to be on the visiting list. It was a lot different set up. they don't have a canteen at this facility and only two working vending machines. tables were outside and a very small room inside. My understanding is because most folks just do furloughs instead of visiting.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimB94 (Post 7797577)
My friend is waiting to be transferred to a work release center and I have a few questions.

1. It is my understanding that he will be able to purchase a cell phone. Is he limited to calls to his current call list or is he able to call anyone? Can I call him?
2. Will it still go through Securus and will I still have to maintain an account with Securus?
3. Will I still be able to send money through JPay or does that end when he is in work release?
4. I heard that as far as visitation only immediate family members may visit? Is this correct?

I will be appreciative for any additional information.

Thank you

JasonsMomma 11-30-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStreet4 (Post 7801094)
Good morning,

My LO was just transferred to a work release center so I can try to answer some of your questions. I will say that every facility is different so what is true for me may not be true for whatever facility your LO ends up at.

Yes, he can have a cell. Our facility only allows flip phones on prepaid plans. I had to buy a new phone and send it in with the package unactivated. I understand some facilities allow smart phones.

Our facility is a contract facility, so no more securus. In fact, they took his tablet upon arrival. so no more music, movies or emails.

He can call any number once they release his cell phone to him. You can call and text him. The tough part is waiting for them to release the phone since they don't have payphones he can use in the meantime.

we were told the best way to give him money is to drop it off at the center and get a receipt. funds sent by JPAY will take 6-8 weeks to be processed.

At our facility you just had to be on the visiting list. It was a lot different set up. they don't have a canteen at this facility and only two working vending machines. tables were outside and a very small room inside. My understanding is because most folks just do furloughs instead of visiting.

Hope this helps.

Who activates the phone for them?

GingerM 11-30-2019 07:05 AM

It sounds like the staff at the WRC activates the phone for them.