Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=717)
-   -   Denied Federal Prison Visitation Because You Met After Incarceration (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690888)

brach 06-24-2015 08:37 PM

Denied Federal Prison Visitation Because You Met After Incarceration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc's Sis (Post 1438576)
It is true. It isn't just in Federal prisons but in many state prisons as well. In Ohio, only family members may visit and each inmate may have two friends come to visit. Such friends must have known him before he was convicted and sent to prison. Sorry, but no penpals. I hope the friend of yours doesn't have all that much time to do because most likely, you'll have to wait until he gets out.

An inmate at a federal prison wishes include me among his approved visitors. In order to establish my suitability at a visitor, I must supply certain information on the federal BOP "Visitor Information" form BP-A0629.

In particular, the form asks the following questions:
7. Relationship to above-named inmate
8. Do you desire to visit him/her?
9. Did you know this person prior to his/her current incarceration?
10. If the answer to #9 is yes, indicate the length of time you have known this person and where the relationship developed.
In answer to questions 7, 8 and 9, our relationship is that we are friends, I do desire to visit him, and I did know this him "prior to his/her current incarceration."

But how long must I have known him to qualify as a visitor? And when they ask "where the relationship developed?" are they asking for the city and state? How specific must I be?

fbopnomore 06-25-2015 09:36 AM

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. I gave you a new thread in the visitation forum, so I hope you will receive answers to your question here.

Other members who were denied visitation because they didn't know the inmate before they were locked up have eventually been allowed to visit. It required an appeal to the warden by both the inmate and the visitor. If you are initially denied, and decide to appeal, ask for both "regular visitor status" and a "special visit" (you will not be added to his approved visitor's list, but will be allowed to visit one time anyway). It can be a lengthy process, but don't give up trying.

maytayah 06-25-2015 11:05 AM

If you did know him/her before this period of incarceration all they are looking for is how long you have know them and in what capacity. I dont think there is any specific time that you must have known them.

Zelda50 07-09-2015 12:30 AM

No specific amount of time you've known him. They want to know if your relationship developed in general - like at your job, school, church. I'm not sure what scenario they would have a problem with unless you said your relationship developed in jail or solely by mail or online maybe. That question has always been a puzzle.

BlondieXoXo 05-09-2016 04:43 PM

How Can I Get Visitation Approved/Didn't Know Boyfriend Before Incarceratio

Hi everyone! This is my firat post and i really need some help. I know this topic has been discussed numerous times but I'm pretty helpless at this point. My MWI is at usp lee and we have been talking for 5 months and I want to visit him but obviously we can't since we didn't know each other prior to his incarceration. It says in the visitation guidelines all exceptions to this rule should be made by the inmate to his unit leader but I'm wondering should I send the visitation form in stating that we didn't know each other but include a letter about how I am a good influence on him and he hasn't had a visit in over 5 years etc. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Or stories that there may be a light at the end of this tunnel to make me feel better.

maytayah 05-09-2016 05:04 PM

Hi there, we had the same problem and I was denied visiting as I did not know my MWI prior to incarceration. We appealed to the warden and eventually we were granted a special visit and I was put on his list. They do make exceptions for those who dont get visits so it may be that his counsellor will approve you but its not hopeless if he doesnt . Be patient and keep trying,

Velvet_ 05-19-2016 12:30 PM

Visit denied

Hey guys,

I'm not sure I'm writing this at the right place but here is the little story:

I met J. a few months ago (he has 2 more years to do), we fell in love....and we decided to meet each other, so he sent me the form (he's in a federal prison in PA). I'm french and I live in France.

We both talked about the fact that if I were honest, I wouldn't be approved, but I can't stand people who lie, so I just wrote the truth: I didn't know him prior to his incarceration, and I write two other inmates (not as much as him of course, but still...I can say I have 2 other pen pals, who are NOT in the same state).

The day he got my form, the Unit Counselor told my boy that he didn't even bothered doing the background check, because I didn't know him before the incarceration, so it was impossible to approve me. The Warden told him not to worry, that there was a way to make an appeal....(I haven't got any letter from them since!)

Then, my boy told me to write the Warden and 3 other staff members, and I wrote a very formal and honest letter saying I understood the rules (about not knowing him before), I explained why I wrote him and why he needed a visit (he hasn't had any visit from family nor friends so far, he doesn't have anyone on his visiting list either) and that if I couldn't be on his visiting list, a special visit would be highly appreciated. Just a single day !

They received my letter a few days ago. The case manager said it would be okay, and then someone else told him they couldn't grant the visit because we didn't know each other prior to the incarceration, and now, the Warden tells him she's likely not gonna approve me because I write other inmates ! Always a new excuse?

I don't know what to do anymore. Is there someone who has been in the same situation? Do I have to write back? Should I call the Warden? I believe theycan change their mind...At least one of the staff member was okay to grant me a visit, but obviously, the Warden decides....

I haven't got any criminal record, I live in France, I sent all the documents they asked...I'm not a threat, and I'm honestly not asking to be on his approved list...A special visit would be enough for me...

I'm impressed that I haven't got any letter from the facility. I can't even appeal properly because I don't have the real reason behind the denial. I'd rather do things correctly, but if they don't even bother sending me a piece of paper... :/

Besides, having other pals make the situation really awkward with my boy. He already knew it and he was almost fine with it...but now it's just a good reason to argue...

I'd be glad to have some advices here.

Merci!

miamac 05-19-2016 12:52 PM

Denied Because You Met After Incarceration

An increasingly common issue is visitation denial because you met after the inmate was incarcerated. This thread is for those questions and appeal related information.

For general information regarding visitation for federal inmates, click here.

fbopnomore 05-19-2016 01:15 PM

Individual wardens decide identical issues differently, and not knowing him prior to incarceration is one of them. But if you have one who says no, you can try again in a few months. Otherwise wardens change frequently, so you can wait for the next one.

Sometimes a one-time "special visit" will be approved before being allowed on his regular visiting list, especially if he is not receiving other visits.

Velvet_ 05-19-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbopnomore (Post 7534448)
Individual wardens decide identical issues differently, and not knowing him prior to incarceration is one of them. But if you have one who says no, you can try again in a few months. Otherwise wardens change frequently, so you can wait for the next one.

Sometimes a one-time "special visit" will be approved before being allowed on his regular visiting list, especially if he is not receiving other visits.

That is a good piece of advice! I hope she moves very soon haha! Thanks !

Velvet_ 05-20-2016 01:26 PM

Nobody else can help me with that? :( What would YOU do?

missmarie 05-20-2016 01:37 PM

I did not know my man before he went to prison. I was nervous about that because I read all these other threads about it. I was honest and put that we were pen pals and I had only known him for 2 months and was approved immediately, in less than a week! I guess every facility is different?

Velvet_ 05-20-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmarie (Post 7534647)
I did not know my man before he went to prison. I was nervous about that because I read all these other threads about it. I was honest and put that we were pen pals and I had only known him for 2 months and was approved immediately, in less than a week! I guess every facility is different?

WOW, that was a good happy ending for you then! <3 It's quite impressive how those facilities don't have the same rules....:/

miamac 05-20-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmarie (Post 7534647)

Just curious...was this in a federal facility? It seems to be an issue primarily with the BOP and a handful of states like Texas(?).

missmarie 05-20-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamac (Post 7534655)
Just curious...was this in a federal facility? It seems to be an issue primarily with the BOP and a handful of states like Texas(?).

Yes, in Colorado.

Velvet_ 05-28-2016 12:39 PM

UPDATE: my boy just told me he gave up. They told him there would be no visit (they didn't even bothered specify if they meant no visit or no special visit).

I really don't know what to do. Waiting for a new Warden or a new Counselor seems like an eternity.

I can't understand how they can deny someone this way :(

Have some of you ever called the Warden? Should I call her ? I got my background check (empty..), maybe I can write another letter and enclose it?

ANy advice would be much appreciated !

fbopnomore 05-28-2016 12:54 PM

You could write to the warden and ask to appeal your visitation denial. Include your background check, and explain that since you live in France, you won't be a frequent visitor. Sometimes it makes a difference if he has not received other visitors, so if that's the case, be sure to mention it too.

Velvet_ 05-28-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbopnomore (Post 7536458)
You could write to the warden and ask to appeal your visitation denial. Include your background check, and explain that since you live in France, you won't be a frequent visitor. Sometimes it makes a difference if he has not received other visitors, so if that's the case, be sure to mention it too.

Thanks. I've mentioned all this in my first letter.....it makes obviously no difference at all....:hmm: But I'll try again. For his sake.

HisForever0607 05-29-2016 07:33 AM

I understand now liking small lies but..sometimes it's okay to lie a little. I could see if it was your criminal history you were lying about but when you met someone? I would have simply told a little why lie. They can't exactly tell you you NEVER met him before he was in prison. Just my two cents. I hope everything goes well for you. I was a nervous wreck waiting for my approval.

miamac 05-29-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HisForever0607 (Post 7536572)
I understand now liking small lies but..sometimes it's okay to lie a little. I could see if it was your criminal history you were lying about but when you met someone? I would have simply told a little why lie. They can't exactly tell you you NEVER met him before he was in prison. Just my two cents. I hope everything goes well for you. I was a nervous wreck waiting for my approval.

The problem with lying on your application (outside of the fact it's lying) is that it sets up a lie you have to continue. If they learn you're lying, then everything else about you becomes suspect. The last place I want people questioning my integrity is in a correctional facility.

Velvet_ 06-09-2016 08:59 AM

Update:

I wrote a second letter to the warden to ask (again) for a special visit, since I read somewhere that it can be granted to people coming from abroad, even though they didn't know prior to incarceration.

She didn't get it yet, but in the meantime, I received her answer to my first letter:

"This is my response to your letter (...) you request special visitation with Inmate V.

A review of this matter reveals that you did not know Inmate V. prior incarceration and you initially came in contact with him on an online profile, and you are in contact with inmates from other institutions. It has also come to our attention that Inmate V. tried to circumvent the security of the institution and the visiting policy by instructing you to lie on your initial visiting form.

Visiting Program Statement 5267-09 states "regardless of the institutions security level, the inmate must have known the proposed visitor prior to incarceration". I will not authorize a special visit based on policy and the other circumstances referenced in this letter.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact a member of the Inmate V.'s unit team at *number*
"

Well...... I didn't expect they would find out that my boy asked me to lie...and even if I chose not to lie....she considers that asking to lie is worse than the lie itself, which is insane...

Besides, I don't get why they have those statements......everybody knows that thousands of women visit their loved one and friends even if they met while the inmate was already locked up.....

My boy is giving up...he fears for his security and for his mail, so he's asking me to stop trying....And that makes me sad, because seriously, what kind of system is that?

Anyway, I just wanted to warn people...not to lie...even it can be considered as a white lie....and tell your inmates not to ask you to lie ;)

And for those who have been approved despite all these different circumstances (not knowing him, writing other inmates, and met on an online website), ENJOY your visit and know how lucky you are....

This system is so fucking unfair.

miamac 06-09-2016 10:25 AM

Velvet, I'm so sorry this happened but I'm very proud of you for trying to work within their rules.

It might be best to let the issue rest, at least for a while. It sounds like it's causing added stress to your LO and perhaps in the future he may feel like it's worth trying again.

My heart breaks over this as outside contact is a proven incentive for rehabilitation. I understand the notion of institutional safety, but if you're passing through the same security measures as everyone else....this doesn't seem necessary.

Best to you. :hugme:

maytayah 06-09-2016 01:29 PM

I am sorry that you have been declined. Good for you for not being tempted to follow your loved ones advice and lie. Nothing good ever comes of lying and lies always catch up with you and consequences follow.
You asked how they knew he had encouraged you to lie, well none of your communication is private mail is read and can be photocopied and phone calls are recorded.
There are two things the FBOP do not like , they dont approve if you did not know each other prior to incarceration and they dont like you writing to other inmates if you are not related to them.
I agree you should let this rest now as it may cause problems for your loved one. They are clearly not going to approve you.
It may be worth trying again if the warden changes or he gets transferred.
We were lucky to get approved on appeal and following a special visit. However when he was transferred his new counsellor took me off his list for not knowing each other prior to incarceration and we had to appeal all over again.
Its a long heart breaking process and I wish you good luck in the future,

communicator 06-10-2016 10:14 AM

This doesn't involve the BOP, but I was denied visiting a young man because I hadn't known him prior to his incarceration (the assistant warden said he'd never heard of that). I called the visitation headquarters for the state, and told the woman second in charge that I had known his mother and her family when we were little girls, and I had kept in contact with his grandparents. His grandmother was killed on the way back from visiting him, and his grandfather was depressed and not wanting to go back, so wanted me to visit him. I offered to drive him and wait, but he never took me up on it.
Then after that sentence was completed, he was transferred to a new place, and I tried again, since I had gone to his trials. This time I had met him, and explained that on the application; so I was accepted, and I visit him every other week, his only visits since a few months ago when his father visited him for the first time in twelve years. But he is doing very well, hoping for a soon release.
So that's one happy story.

TawnyStar 06-13-2016 09:21 PM

Alright I want to open ideas about not going the long route and to simply say that you knew them beforehand. I'm not suggesting anyone encourage people to stretch the truth, but couldn't this make it easier for all parties?

I just got a visitation form from a federal prison. My inmate friend says “I have heard that it's mandatory to have known the person before coming to the SMU. How are they going to know or prove that?”, essentially insinuating to go ahead and say I knew him beforehand. But apparently it doesn't sound like he has a lot of experience in this process hehe.

SO, I have been on visiting lists before (for state prisons). I've always been truthful and had no doubt I would get on. Obviously this is different standards now. I have no criminal record. However I was going to mark “no” that I didn't know him prior and list other people I write. But once it's done, it's done and I can't take it back, so I want to be sure I know it's the right thing to do.

After reading this thread, it seems to me if they will deny me, then what am I losing by simply stating that I DID know him beforehand? If they catch me, then I get denied (same as if I'm truthful). Is there any further consequence? I'm starting out with nothing anyways.

Also as a particular addition to my case, he's housed in Allenwood, PA in a special SMU unit (special management) where he spends 23 hours a day in a cell, for 2 years.

Do they thoroughly check EVERYONE for EVERYTHING for something that may be difficult to disprove (due to vagueness), or is getting caught just a fluke? And is it easy to just pass by? I want to think carefully before I turn it in. Getting blocked out over and over from the truth may make me regret I didn't just try to slide by on the easy route.

Your thoughts...