Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1338)
-   -   Early RElease and Mandatory Mins (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452884)

CoNpal 11-28-2009 11:19 AM

Early RElease and Mandatory Mins

i've noticed that lots of people are getting released from prison early right now. i am happy for the loved ones of those folks. at the same time, my heart aches because I know that my bf will not be considered even tho it was his first offense and no weapon was involved.

the gdoc is going to let short timers go and make people that have been in 10+ years continue to sit there when many of them are most likely not to return if given a chance. a large percentage of the short timers the gdoc releases will be right back in the system within a year.

anybody else with a loved one in on a seven deadly sin crime in GA? it sucks. :(

mommanothappy 11-28-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoNpal (Post 5078613)
i've noticed that lots of people are getting released from prison early right now. i am happy for the loved ones of those folks. at the same time, my heart aches because I know that my bf will not be considered even tho it was his first offense and no weapon was involved.

the gdoc is going to let short timers go and make people that have been in 10+ years continue to sit there when many of them are most likely not to return if given a chance. a large percentage of the short timers the gdoc releases will be right back in the system within a year.

anybody else with a loved one in on a seven deadly sin crime in GA? it sucks. :(

I'm sorry you have to wait. I dont know what the 7 sins are. I hope thats not my sons.
Where do you find information about early release. Does it apply to Probation violaters?

parkhad01 11-28-2009 05:37 PM

I have not heard about this. Where did you get this info? Just curious. My husband is what you would call a short timer, but since it is a sex offense it is highly unlikely he would get an early release, even though there was not actual vicitm. It was all internet related. I would not say that all short timers are more likely to return, but some probably are. My husband says he can tell who will come back and who wont, and most of them are young guys who have been in before. It is almost like they are just taking a break and living off the state until they get released. I have noticed the lifers tend to be the nicest guys where my husband is, and yes, they all did commit one of the 7 deadly. I would trust some of those guys with my own kids. I wish you luck and hope that he will get released soon. The DOC would cut down on the return rate if they would actually give these young men a trade, instead they just warehouse them until they get released. Most will go right back to selling drugs or robberys, since they have no other way to provide for themselves. It is a viscious cycle.

CoNpal 11-29-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkhad01 (Post 5079014)
I have not heard about this. Where did you get this info? Just curious. My husband is what you would call a short timer, but since it is a sex offense it is highly unlikely he would get an early release, even though there was not actual vicitm. It was all internet related. I would not say that all short timers are more likely to return, but some probably are. My husband says he can tell who will come back and who wont, and most of them are young guys who have been in before. It is almost like they are just taking a break and living off the state until they get released. I have noticed the lifers tend to be the nicest guys where my husband is, and yes, they all did commit one of the 7 deadly. I would trust some of those guys with my own kids. I wish you luck and hope that he will get released soon. The DOC would cut down on the return rate if they would actually give these young men a trade, instead they just warehouse them until they get released. Most will go right back to selling drugs or robberys, since they have no other way to provide for themselves. It is a viscious cycle.

that is EXACTLY what i'm talking about. i got so ticked off yesterday that i typed a letter.

Quote:

To Whom It May Concern:

During this difficult economic time, Georgia officials are releasing many inmates to alleviate financial pressures. I am writing on behalf of inmates who have served more than 10 years on mandatory minimum sentences in Georgia and do not have eligibility for parole. Please consider reviewing the cases of ALL long term inmates to ensure justice and the safety of the citizens.

There are many rehabilitated, first time offender inmates in prison for long periods that would not reoffend if given a second chance to rejoin society. However, these people will not be considered for early release due to current Georgia laws concerning non-eligibility for parole for a “Seven Deadly Sin” crime.

Please take a moment to consider the mandatory minimum laws and the people sentenced under them in your state. How long is long enough? I suggest to you that EVERY case deserves to be treated on its own MERIT instead of broad generalizations about criminal offenses. One sentence does NOT fit all.

It seems the prisons are revolving doors these days with habitual criminals receiving short prison stays only to return a few months later. Releasing the “short timers” often times creates more danger for society. They are more likely to commit more crimes. There are other inmates who will not be considered for early release that are less of a risk such as first time offenders and those that have been incarcerated for long periods (10+ years).

An example of injustice in the current system is John Doe (GDC#XXXXXXX). Mr. Doe committed what is considered “Armed” Robbery in Georgia. Nobody was hurt during the commission of the crime and he did not possess a gun or other weapon although the cashier believed him to have one. Mr. Doe is a first time offender and he received 15 years with no eligibility for parole for his crime. Mr. Doe has served 10 years of his sentence to date. This is the mandatory minimum for his crime under Georgia law. He does not have disciplinary reports, he has taken every class available for rehabilitation, he is well liked by the staff at *** State Prison and he works for the state cleaning parks. Also, Mr. Doe has a strong support system of family and friends to help him when he is released.

John Doe is a prime candidate for early release but, currently, he will not be considered. The Georgia Board of Parole should be allowed to reevaluate cases like Mr. Doe’s. People should be eligible for parole after a certain amount of time. We cannot continue to lock people up and throw away the key!

Please help to further the cause of people in prison with long sentences and no eligibility for parole. It does not hurt to review their files. The current process of early release is flawed, unjust, and dangerous. Thank you for your consideration.

Happy Holidays,

My Name
My Email

as to the questions on this thread...my bf is telling me that people are being released left and right now. almost every day where he is at. that is why i believe the parole board is approving more early releases. it is what set me off yesterday. :o

Tmorris125 11-30-2009 06:25 PM

I do understand your furstration. I do not like seeing a person with the same charge serve less time than someone else with the same charge. I think that is so unfair. Does someone with a ten year sentence not get the possible review after a 1/3 of his time? Just wondering. Your letter was good but please dont punish those short timers. My son has been addicted to drugs since he was 15 yrs old. He has spent most of his teenage years in and out of rehabs. Now he is 23 years old and has spent over a year now because of his addiction in prison. Now he has no furture getting a job when he gets out. Hopefully he will not go back in that revolving door that you talk about.

Mommy4Two 11-30-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmorris125 (Post 5082514)
I do understand your furstration. I do not like seeing a person with the same charge serve less time than someone else with the same charge. I think that is so unfair. Does someone with a ten year sentence not get the possible review after a 1/3 of his time? Just wondering. Your letter was good but please dont punish those short timers. My son has been addicted to drugs since he was 15 yrs old. He has spent most of his teenage years in and out of rehabs. Now he is 23 years old and has spent over a year now because of his addiction in prison. Now he has no furture getting a job when he gets out. Hopefully he will not go back in that revolving door that you talk about.

Certain crimes in the state of GA (aggravated sexual battery, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sodomy, armed robbery, kidnapping, rape and murder) do not have parole eligibility. The only exception being when someone is given a life sentence for one of them, then they will be parole eligible after 14 years... And actually, I think that has been increased to 30 years. If you plead guilty or are convicted of any one of these crimes, you will serve EVERY DAY of your sentence. Each also carries a mandatory minimum. For example armed robbery has a mandatory minimum of 10 years. Even if the judge thinks 5 years is sufficient, he still has to hand down at least a 10 year sentence. And although they carry mand. minimums, the Judge may still sentence the individual as he pleases, meaning that if he thinks the person should serve 20 years, then he can sentence him to 20 years and the inmate will not come up for parole, he will serve every day of that 20 year sentence.

This is one reason so many people take plea agreements for these crimes. They may get a longer sentence, but they also become parole eligible after they have served 1/3 of their time. The PB in GA has curved those individuals still from gaining early release by placing the crimes they often plea to, into a % bracket. For instance, a man is guilty of armed robbery. The DA decides to plead him down to the lesser included offense of robbery and the judge sentences him to 15 years. With armed robbery he would have sat in prison for 15 years. For robbery he will become parole eligible after 5 years. He will fall into the % bracket because of the robbery charge, but he is still able to get parole.

I hope this clarifies a bit for you... Sorry to ramble, but I find it all very interesting...

Tmorris125 12-01-2009 06:37 PM

It is very confusing. I hope I never have to find out. But you never know. Mommy you need to get into Law. You know so much.

Mommy4Two 12-01-2009 07:01 PM

It's amazing the things you discover when you're trying to find a loophole for your loved one!!

sylvia30052 04-23-2010 04:23 PM

Hope your love one is ok

I have a son doing time in Georgia system.He went in in 2000 spent five years.Out a little over a year then because he didn't report on time the Judge in Walton Co gave him 6 years to do.as a Recidivist so if anyone get's sentenced as a recidivist they have no chance of getting released early.So he is serving a total of 11 years behind bards for breaking a store window( Nothing taken-shown by video)
I hope none of you live in or close to Walton Co. Ga.
The Judges and DA's here think they are Gods and they do hold your life in their hands if you have done anything to have to go in front of them.
My option the state laws really need to change. And the ones with drug problems need help not a cell for long periods of time.
My son was almost killed by guards within the first five years . Now with 3 to go he is in the hospital waiting surgury.
All any of us can do is pray and wait.

parkhad01 04-23-2010 05:31 PM

My husband was sentenced in Walton Co. Three years for playing peekaboo on the internet with an undercover cop posing as a 15 year old. Should he have done it? Of course not, but he is not a threat to society (like the judge told him). My husband had never broke the law in his life, not even a speeding ticket. Now he is doing 3 years and there was not even a victim. The judge and DA in Walton Co are hard a**es. They do not care about anyone but themselves. I honestly believe in karma, they will get theirs one day.