Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   California Death Row (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1463)
-   -   700 people on California's death row (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461160)

esteli 01-14-2010 03:20 PM

700 people on California's death row

This week California sent its 700th person to death row!

(these are pieces of different articles about California's death row)

It costs $90,000 more per year to house a death row inmate as compared to a regular inmate. It costs $90,000 more per year to house a death row inmate as compared to a regular inmate. California seems to be very conflicted over the death penalty. On the one hand a rather large number are sentenced to death but only a handful are actually put to death.

The newly convicted are requesting the death penalty not because they feel guilty but because they know they had nothing to worry about. They knew it would be years before they would be executed, and they would be living in very comfortable conditions for an inmate. Death row inmates also have more privacy than other inmates because of the state’s overpopulation. Criminals that have committed crimes of less severity are packed closer together and do not receive nearly as many benefits as the violent death row criminals. In contrast, the death row inmates have the most privacy.

While the inmates are on death row, they receive breakfast and dinner in their cells and they eat lunch in outdoor exercise areas. The inmates also have access to a television, CD player, phone privileges, and other accessories.

Only 13 executions have taken place since 1977.

***wow, something has to give in California don't you think?

I do have a couple of friends on California's death row and I know many others on there from my previous legal work though I am not in touch with them. Things could be worst, as we all know, but right now I'm grateful for his living conditions. Except with the situation of lack of heat in the cold season and lack of air conditioning in the summer. Well he has a fan that works well but in the cold season he was freezing his butt off. He doesn't complain at all. He feels he deserves everything he gets. I know him and know he's come a long way from where he was when this crime happened 20 years ago. I know it's easy to judge him but I have to say there are mitigating circumstances. I wouldn't want to see him put to death. Not him nor my other pal. Actually not any of them.

I think something has to give in California eventually. Don't you?

**please don't respond if you have anything negative to say. PTO is a support site. Thank you.

mammastalkin 01-14-2010 04:17 PM

It is a ridiculous waste of the CA tax payers money. All that money for a capital prosecution and then the appeals process. For them to serve life. When they do finally get around to executing someone, that person has rehabilitated himself. Or he is so elderly that it is just shameful. I'm not implying that more people should be executed. I'm asserting that the system is broken--let's tear it down!!!!

esteli 01-14-2010 06:04 PM

the system is completely broken and it should be torn down.

robby340 01-14-2010 07:01 PM

I would suggest this. Convert all pre-96 DP convictions to LWOP, and go forward with the others. The savings in both time and appeals cost would go way down.

lisainengland 01-15-2010 02:56 AM

The system is broken but the problem is getting the Governor to see that and admit to it. I agree with mammas "Tear it down"

Wooly Rhino 01-15-2010 03:48 PM

California has the single most power Corrections Officer Union in the United States. They are the highest paid of all COs by far. If you are making it the arguement that it is expensive to keep people on death row as compared to regular prison, you need to back that up. The cost is legal cost associated with the appeals process.

I am not trying to make people mad or hurt anyones feelings. I debate this stuff to get my head around the subject when I talk to others.

Explain to me why the arguement about expenses does not just favor less appeals and a swifter death penalty. I will tell you the truth. People on juries in this country send people to death row because to them it isnt really real. With only 2% of the people sent to death row actually put to death, juries go home and sleep like a baby after handing down a death sentence. Yes, it is the judge be he sleeps fine also. I oppose the death sentence. I oppose any prison term over five years for anything. But long sentences are a result of people trying to be more humane. The road to hell paved with good intentions.

Tell me how to stop people from killing each other. Death row needs to go away but so do murderers.