View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 PM
PTO Administrator

Thanked 36,878 Times in 17,018 Posts

mia, Breathe!! Either hand-write the letter or print out a copy so you can edit by hand - writing in margins, crossing out this or that. My drafts always had a lot of thoughts in the margins, crossing out, circling and arrows.

Now, about your disability, if that's the route you want to go....Introduce the Board to the proper medical diagnosis & terms. Rather than look at what you can't do, focus on what you can do, things you have accomplished. Anything you write, make sure it is correlated to the support he'll need & his successful completion of parole.

Personally, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to explain your income (disability). Be careful of providing TMI. You're in a position to help him financially, so there ya go IMHO, other than the financial aspect, focus on the things you can help him achieve. Can you help him get to appointments? Can any other friends or family help with transportation? Employment. He'll need help with online applications, getting to interviews, and with encouragement / moral support. Will he need a hand getting his SS card? Food stamps? Dr. Lic? He may have to take the written test for a driver's permit initially. Can you help him study? Is he interested in going back to school? Filing out the FAFSA can be a b*tch for any one of us, he'll need help with that.

Welp, now that I've totally screwed up your train of thought...... all that stuff above is simply my opinion and therefore holds no water. But I hope some part of it is useful

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2019), LifeTraveler (08-26-2019), miamac (08-25-2019)