View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009

Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,200 Posts

Justin, as you're already finding out, those of us convicted of property crimes have a very steep hill to climb, even long after we've completed our entire sentences. There's a reason over 70% of property crime offenders end up back in prison within 3 years of their release -- we have, bar none, the highest recidivism rates of any other class of offender. No one wants to take a chance hiring a convicted thief, especially when it comes to cash handling or anything to do with running a business. Employers will far more readily give second chances to drug offenders since they can be drug tested, or even sex offenders so long as the job doesn't involve teaching or kids. But convicted thieves? Yeah, we wear the true Scarlet Letters when it comes to trying to find gainful employment once we get out.

All I can tell you is that my burglary convictions from nearly 20 years ago when I was just a hot-blooded teenage youth like yourself, still haunt me to this day and have denied me countless jobs. Employers claim they will only go back 7 years of course, but the reality is, ever since 1995 or so, every single criminal record is easily accessible to any employer willing to pay a few bucks to run a check, and they do take it into consideration.

I wish I had better advice for you, but just like you've already tried, I'm currently going back to school full-time, working towards a degree in healthcare, hoping the field will still be in such demand once I graduate that I'll be able to pay all these student loans off. In the meantime, I'm just treading water, working two dead-end low-paying part-time jobs, one as a hotel night auditor for a small hotel and the other as a peer tutor as part of work-study funding at my community college.

My only real hope at this point is to try to obtain a pardon from the commission of pardons and parole, but those are real long shots, even for non-felonious offenders, and usually requires you to be gainfully employed and an established contributing member of society for quite some time before they will grant such a motion. Kind of a Catch-22. You need your record expunged so you can find a good job, but you can't get your record expunged until you've already found and held down a good job and proven yourself "worthy." Go figure.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 04-22-2015 at 09:36 PM..