View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 AM

Default Donít blame yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW View Post
My son has been in and out of trouble since about age 12 and at age 16 he was locked up for a violent crime. Heís 18 and is out now, I totally get that feeling of relief that you guys describe when he was finally sent down. I was obviously also terrified for him as unfortunately I spent 2 years inside at his age for a similar crime, so I knew what things were going to be like for him. He has a very short fuse (as I did at his age) but he managed to avoid getting shanked by some gang member or other. Heís on probation (what we call parole) now, but has broken his terms a few times, heís just been lucky not to get caught. Heís trying to turn things around but just seems to have no self control.

I feel incredibly guilty that my son followed in my footsteps, I of all people shouldíve been able to prevent it. To top it all off my wife has just been sent down for whacking a guy over the head with a bottle in the pub after he basically molested her. I canít believe all three of us are now violent criminals. It just doesnít feel real.
You are not at fault for your sonís actions. Sometimes thereís just no preventing it. Some people, like my son, have to learn from experience (if they ever do.) Iím so sorry to hear about your wife. I hope you and your son are handling that ok. I totally understand that it doesnít feel real. I feel the same way. I canít believe this is my life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
dbd335 (02-17-2019), JakeW (02-17-2019), lizlizzie2 (02-17-2019)