View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Thanked 7,836 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default Prisons or Psychiatric hospitals?

Since the "lunatic asylum" (I hate that term) / psychiatric hospital system was eliminated, prisons have turned into the default institution for people with psychological issues.. I saw it first hand, and it sucks..

Reading this just reminded me about it and one guy I met while doing time in the feds.. He was in for stealing mail, and being "violent" with a postal inspector a few times..
I know people dealing with this are often taken advantage of, but I'm glad to say that the other inmates on my yard were protective, and patient with him and a few other guys that most might call "bugs"..

Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The director of behavioral health at the state Department of Corrections lamented Thursday that the prison system is functioning as the largest psychiatric hospital and substance treatment facility in Rhode Island, and yet it's staffed with only 11 social workers serving about 3,000 inmates.

"That is our staff," Louis Cerbo told the 19-member Special Legislative Commission to Study and Assess the Use of Solitary Confinement in Rhode Island. He estimated that on any given day 400 to 500 inmates in the system are diagnosed as having serious, persistent mental illness.
Click here to read the rest of the story

Last edited by David; 03-24-2017 at 09:16 PM..
Sponsored Links