View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Default Visited Moberly

I found LLFlover's post from 11/28/09 to be really encouraging and helpful as I got ready to go the first time, and I really recommend it! I won't repeat the info she posted, but since it is now six years later, I'll add my comments:

We had a great visit! Visiting hours start at 9:30 and we didn’t get there until 11. We missed the entrance the first time. It is right at the base of the water tower and not really marked at all. They checked us in and assigned us to a seat at the front of the visiting room. I was relieved to see there were rest rooms. They asked me to toss away all my tissues before going in, but I was able to wipe my nose in the bathroom. All the seats are in rows and our seats were in the front row with a little table. The inmate has to sit in the aisle seat. I would guess there were about a hundred people in the room. I wondered if we would be able to converse over all the din. Not that anyone was being particularly loud, but there were so many conversations going on. We had to wait about an hour. I think he was at chow, then went to rec, which is where they reached him and told him we were waiting. He had to change into “visiting clothes” which were a white t-shirt, gray pants and slippers over socks. Finally he came out to a gray-painted rectangle on the floor where I was allowed to hug him and showed him to our seats. I got us chips and sodas from the vending machine. (There are also burgers and sandwiches, but he had just eaten and we were not hungry yet.) We had to open the chip bags all the way so our hands would never be out of sight inside the bags! He was in good spirits and we had a great visit! The “din” was not a factor at all—we could hear each other fine!
Sodas are now .75 and chips are $1.00--take up to $25 in quarters and ones in a clear plastic bag with your ID and car key.

Visiting hours are 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. You can only visit once a day, but if you drive up Friday you could visit 2:30 – 6:30, then stay overnight at a hotel and visit again on Saturday from 9:30 – 1:30 if you wanted to. An inmate can have up to five pre-approved visitors at a time; most can have up to eight visits a month.

We have to travel some distance, so our visits will be few and far between, but I hope to have some updated info about places to stay and eat in future posts. Our loved one is going to work on getting qualified for a food visit by sometime in March, so I'll let you know how that goes!

Last edited by sunnyskye; 11-27-2015 at 02:39 PM..