View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 06:49 AM
GingerM's Avatar
GingerM GingerM is offline
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 6,173
Thanks: 8,626
Thanked 9,345 Times in 3,638 Posts

They are supposed to release him to the county in which he was convicted, regardless of where he calls home. He can put in for a change of release, and there's a not-zero chance that it would be approved assuming he 1) has no family or support network in/near Umatilla/TriCities and 2) does have support/family in Yamhill.

1) Should he be worried that he hasn't heard from a release counselor yet?
2) Are there any advocacy groups/resources that might help him facilitate his making his release plan?
3) Is there a way for him to get transferred without seeing any kind of counselor? (His normal counselor won't make time to see him either).
4) Can he pick any county to be released to? I noticed that Lane, Marion, and Multnomah counties have a lot more resources than Yamhill County, so maybe he would have a better chance at success if he was released to one of those.
5) Any advice on release, resources, etc is definitely welcome.
1. As Kimimi said, it's pretty typical for him to get moved to someplace with release programs around 6 months prior to release, and then to get his paperwork about 3 months prior to release (though I've heard of paperwork not getting to the person until a week prior to release.

2. His release plan is pretty much entirely under the direction of DOC. I don't know of any advocacy groups that can work with him on the inside to move this along. His best bet is to request an appointment with his counselor, if his counselor does not respond, then send a kyte to the next person up the chain explaining that he has not yet seen his counselor, that he'd like to see his counselor, and that the counselor is not replying to his kytes. He'll need to keep at this until he finally sees someone.

3. If he commits a crime egregious enough, he can definitely get transferred without seeing his counselor - I don't recommend that. So he really does need to advocate for his right to speak with his counselor.

4. He can request to be released to any county anywhere in the US. The difficult part is the paperwork. To release to a county in which he was NOT convicted, he'll need to request a release transfer. He may be able to do this through other channels than his counselor, I'm not sure (receiving and departures might have them?).

5. I think his best bet at the moment is to send at least 3 more kytes to his counselor requesting a meeting. The kytes should be worded civilly (no taking out frustrations on the counsellor), written so they're easily readable (penmanship), and make mention of the other dates on which a kyte was sent (e.g., "On October 31, I sent a kyte requesting a meeting with you, however, I have not heard back. I'm hoping this kyte reaches you. I need to set an appointment with you regarding my upcoming departure"). Definitely don't sound angry or hostile (no matter how angry he is) - all kytes are kept on record in both hardcopy and electronic form, so what he's trying to do is establish a paper trail.

I wish him luck. The biggest thing for him to figure out is if he's going to be releasing soon, if so, is he releasing to Umatilla or Yamhill. If his sentences are running consecutively, he would release to where the most recent crime was committed (Umatilla). DOC does attempt to get people back to their family upon release.

I know I haven't given you much information that you didn't already have, but ... it's how the system works.

Welcome to PTO. I hope to see your name around more often, though I'm sorry you need to be here at all.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2019)