View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 04:21 AM

Default Trying To Think Like a Doomed Realist On Death Row

THOUGHTS OF AN UNINCARCERATED PERSON,
ONE TRYING TO THINK LIKE A DOOMED REALIST ON DEATH ROW

CONTROVERSIAL QUESTION:

WHEN A CRIMINAL IS SENTENCED TO DEATH IN AMERICA AND THE SENTENCE IS CARRIED OUT, IS THE "Pleasant, Peaceful, Painless Passing" OF THE MENACE TO SOCIETY AS MUCH OF A BLESSING TO THE MENACE, to the malefactor, AS IT IS TO THE SOCIETY, to "people of the United States" [a] WHOSE LEGITIMATE INTERESTS [b] ARE WELL SERVED BY THE EXECUTION?

[a] Constitution of the United States

[b] not only legitimate interests such as " . . . justice . . . domestic tranquillity . . . [and] the general welfare" [a] but also the people's interest in there being government spending of an acceptable sort, a proper sort, the sort where as much of the spending as possible benefits ONLY law-abiding citizens or the entire law-abiding population and as little money as possible is spent on unconscionable lawbreakers, that is to say, on incorrigible troublemakers whose damnable crimes and indefensible actions have done serious harm to one or more fellow Americans or some other person or persons

FOUR-PART ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, an answer largely consisting of worldly suppositions:

SECULAR MUSINGS OF A DEATH ROW INMATE

I. Exceedingly Compact CHRONOLOGY
II. Honest, Unhurried, Big House THINKING
III. Execution Chamber EPIPHANY
IV. Dark, Deprecatory AFTERWORD

I. Exceedingly Compact CHRONOLOGY

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND BEFORE CONCEPTION | and | ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF TIME

THEN . . .

AN OCCASIONAL AWARENESS THAT LACKING CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND IS THE CASE WITH NEARLY EVERYTHING | throughout | THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE

THEN . . .

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND AFTER DEATH | and | FOREVERMORE

II. Honest, Unhurried, Big House THINKING

To the best of my knowledge and belief, | I DID NOT EXIST AND WAS NEVER CONSCIOUS | prior to my conception in a womb. | [ NONEXISTENCE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATSOEVER for at least 13.8 BILLION YEARS ]

And to the best of my knowledge, | I WILL NO LONGER EXIST after I die AND WILL NEVER AGAIN BE CONSCIOUS. | [ NONEXISTENCE FOREVERMORE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATEVER ]

One could say, therefore, that present periods of undisturbed and dreamless UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of uninterrupted and very sound sleep, | are a return to NORMALITY, to NORMALCY, to a time before conception, | a time of NO SUBSISTENCE, NO SENSIBILITY, and " . . . no . . . mourning or crying or pain, . . . " | (Revelation 21:4, NIV)

SHEER NONEXISTENCE AND ZERO CONSCIOUSNESS are the be-all of nonbeing and the end-all of being | and amount to naught but A STATE, so to speak, OF ABSOLUTE NOTHINGNESS, | A MERE VOID that is every single individual's TRUE NATIVE SOIL and PRINCIPLE PLACE OF RESIDENCE | in this dark and pointless* universe.

*"If there is no Creator, then the universe does not exist for a purpose."

And, if nothing else, each and every former nonentity alive today and facing certain annihilation | should endeavor to spend hours and hours quietly and contentedly occupying | his or her CUSTOMARY PLACE in the overall scheme of things, | that is to say, | his or her REAL HOME in this colossal and cold and cavernous cosmos.

For to every pitiful, perishable person upon this terrestrial globe is given but one chance to live, | naught but a single, small sip from the titanic, topfull Tankard of Reality, | which means that every single person has not only just one brief, mortal existence | in which to experience again and again, | be it ever so slightly, | the startling similarity between an ordinary, narcotizing afternoon nap | and | the COMPLETE ABSENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS | that prevailed throughout the entirety of AN EARLIER NONEXISTENCE | but also just one brief, earthly sojourn | in which to acquire and to savor, | even if only notionally, | a great many tantalizing, tranquilizing foretastes | of the TOTAL AND INTERMINABLE BLACKOUT awaiting all sentient beings at death-- | naught, I say, but one lifetime, one lifelong opportunity, | to undergo daily or almost daily ante-mortem obliterations, | as it were, | of every thought and feeling and of every trace of individuality, | an opportunity unsought and irksome, to be sure, | but also lasting only as long as an ever-aging, ever-endangered soul | can continue to inhale and exhale upon this obscure, bluish globule, | this wet and rocky planet endlessly whirling through endless space | while swiftly and silently and ceaselessly orbiting a nearby star.

While still alive and kicking, then, | I should devote much of my remaining time | to being either fast asleep and completely oblivious to the troublesome, tiresome cares and concerns of this life | or else wide-awake and exceedingly grateful for deep slumber, | for recurrent states of sumptuously silken and supremely satisfying UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of blessedly obliterative INSENTIENCE, | an assuasive INSENTIENCE often lasting for hours.

III. Execution Chamber EPIPHANY

THE MOST TRAGIC EVENTS in every person's life are a person's very own CONCEPTION AND BIRTH,

[an opinion perhaps shared by the author of Ecc 4:3]

which makes every person's DEATH, | every new case of UTTER UNCONSCIOUSNESS FULLY RESTORED, | a HAPPY ENDING.

[an opinion clearly shared by the author of Ecc 4:2]

ECCLESIASTES 4:2-3; 1:18; 9:5, NIV:

2 And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

3 But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

In other words,
the more consciousness, the more grief,
and
the less consciousness, the better,

5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing; . . .

IV. Dark, Deprecatory AFTERWORD

QUESTION

HOW CAN A PRISONER CONDEMNED TO DIE MAKE THE MOST OF HIS OR HER FINAL DAYS (or years) OF LIFE UPON THIS BEASTLY AND BLOODSTAINED, TINY AND TRULY AWFUL PLANET?

ANSWER

IN ADDITION TO ENJOYING A LIFE OF EASE--ALBEIT ONE BEHIND BARS--AND CONTINUING TO VALUE AND SUSTAIN A FAIRLY SOUND MIND IN A FAIRLY SOUND BODY, A DEATH ROW INMATE CAN SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE BEING DEEPLY UNCONSCIOUS, THAT IS TO SAY, WHOLLY AND COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF THE FROTHY AND FLEETING PERSONAL EXISTENCE ABOUT TO BE EXTINGUISHED, AN EXISTENCE NOT UNLIKE THAT WHICH COUPLES EVERYWHERE ARE EITHER THOUGHTLESSLY OR HEARTLESSLY IMPOSING UPON POOR, UNFORTUNATE, UNCONSENTING OFFSPRING, UPON HAPLESS, HELPLESS INFANTS BEING DRAGGED WITHOUT MERCY INTO AN ALIEN AND UNAPPEALING WORLD, A WORLD NOT ONLY WIDELY REGARDED AS AN UNSETTLED AND UNSAFE PLACE TO BE BUT A WORLD WHICH REALLY AND TRULY IS INHERENTLY UNSTABLE AND TERRIBLY INSECURE AND THEREFORE ENTIRELY UNSUITABLE FOR THE CHILDREN OF PARENTS WHO CLAIM TO LOVE THEIR KIDS AND WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THEM.*

*IN BRINGING AN INNOCENT CHILD INTO THIS INIQUITOUS AND TURBULENT WORLD, CRIMINALLY CARELESS OR UNCARING ADULTS SET THAT YOUNGSTER ON A COLLISION COURSE WITH DANGERS AND DISEASES, WITH DIFFICULTIES AND DISAPPOINTMENTS AND DISCOMFORTS, WITH DISAGREEABLE PAIN OR PERHAPS A DISHEARTENING DISABILITY, WITH DESPICABLE PEOPLE AND DETESTABLE PESTS AND PATHOGENS, WITH UNTOLD HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES, AND WITH THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF AN EARLY AND/OR UNTIMELY DEMISE.

OLD QUESTION:

When a criminal is sentenced to death in America and the sentence is carried out, is the PLEASANT, PEACEFUL, PAINLESS PASSING of the menace to society as much of a blessing to the menace as to the society?
Sponsored Links