View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,168 Posts

I have this same situation. A big debt run up by my ex. He opened it, it is his main debt, but he put my name on it so it became marital. I have been able to prove he ran up most of the debt, including cash advances to himself. I don't have a ruling on it yet, so I can't tell you if I was successful or not. But I do know that he is strying to settle it with them. He can't do it without my agreeing.

Here is what I would do. If it isn't that high, just tell them to close it and see if they will lower the interest rate so you can pay it off. I did this with one of mine. Each month the minimum due goes down and I have been able to save $100 a month on it. If it is high, I would contact them with the same information. You can't pay it, he is in prison, what can be done?

Bottom line, it will hurt your credit rating and his if you don't try to pay it off. I had excellent credit for years until my ex decided to tank it. I am working very hard to get a good reputation under my name.

ALL credit card companies would rather get some money than none. Even settling for 40 cents on the dollar gives them something. I would write, be nice, and see what they say. Good luck

dw