View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 03:15 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 32,979 Times in 15,126 Posts
Default Securus Surveilling People Who Arenít in Prison

Company That Handles Prison Phone Calls Is Surveilling People Who Aren’t in Prison

Securus, one of the country’s largest providers of phone services to incarcerated people, is known for its shady, cruel, and sometimes illegal business practices. It has charged exorbitant rates for prisoners’ calls, limited family and friends to video-only “visits” with incarcerated loved ones, and violated attorney-client privilege by recording phone calls between prisoners and their attorneys.

This week, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) revealed even more troubling practices that undermine the privacy and civil liberties of millions upon millions of Americans. In letters made public on Friday demanding action from the Federal Communications Commission and several major telecommunications companies, Wyden described Securus’ ability to obtain and share the cell phone location information of virtually anyone who uses a phone.

The letters report that Securus provides correctional facilities with the ability to access real-time location data for virtually any individual in the country — without making sure that officials have obtained a warrant or proper consent.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-te...ing-people-who

Anything I have to say would need to be deleted Let me regain my composure and come back to this....walking away from the computer

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Billys_Lady (05-22-2018), choclgs (05-21-2018), chosenmemories (05-29-2018), fbopnomore (05-11-2018), gusstanthony (05-12-2018), gvalliant (05-22-2018), miamac (05-11-2018), Nickel Timer (05-11-2018), Sarianna (05-12-2018), sidewalker (05-13-2018)
Sponsored Links