View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern

Thanked 2,096 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyWhiteGuy View Post
Exactly, my lawyer who gets pissed if question anything he does, wanted me to plead guilty to an A misdemeanor that even though it would give me 2 weeks less jail time would have me on probation for 3 years. That is 2 years more than my 1 year with the B misdemeanor.
Yes, one thing about lawyers, is they do tend to try to reduce your jail/prison exposure by any means necessary. What many of them don't realize though, is that there are worse things than jail/prison. And prolonged government supervision on the outs is one of them -- they give you just enough rope to hang yourself.

Quote:
While I don't plan on doing anything stupid It could easily happen and I would face a sentence up to a year in jail now. At least with my B misdemeanor I would only have to face 90 days in jail.
Very smart thinking. Even 90 days, in the worst case scenario, really is nothing in the grand scope of things. For those of us who have done even a few years in prison, that's nothing but a short vacation.

Quote:
I also have been so restricted with my traveling this last year that it is killing me. Normally I leave the state for the winter. I would go crazy if I got stuck here for 3 years because of probation.
Yup.

Quote:
This is why I always do my own research because I can't trust anybody to do anything right. Most people I deal with always make mistakes and seem to be just incompetent. This is for most anyone I deal with in almost all professions.

This is why I was staying on top of my lawyer and he didn't like that. But if I trusted him I would have a far worse sentence.
Well, the important thing is to learn from this lesson and make sure it is avoided in the future. Don't look at that $5,000 as a "lost waste of money", but rather consider it an investment in teaching you something very valuable -- how to steer a better course in life in the future.

And always keep in mind: whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?