View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Jail versus Home Arrest

For over the past year and a half, I have found strength, courage, and hope on PTO, but for some reason never had the inclination to actually post anything because I was sorting things out at the time on my own regarding my court case, and partly because I was still unclear what would become of me in terms of sentencing--it seemed there were numerous directions that my case could take.

Today, I have a better idea of the outcome of my 1st time offense which involves a non-violent (non-drug related) crime. Forgive me if this is the wrong section of the PTO forums to make such a post, but i need input to help me to decide between a year of county jail versus home arrest with electronic monitoring. It would seem like a clear choice, but it's a bit more complicated than face value. I am in Los Angeles County and the county jails are, as I am informed by my council, over packed such that they are releasing non-violent offenders after serving approximately 10% of their time. Alternatively, I could serve out my sentence under home arrest which in theory can be shortened down to 8 months.

I realize this question is not directly related to prison, but I am hoping PTO members out there can give me some insight on life in jail. How dangerous is county jail? I'm not a physically strong guy, so I am wondering if a guy like me can go through 4-6 weeks of county jail relatively unharmed. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that people in jail are there for the short term and are probably just as worried as I am and hoping to survive the ordeal without getting into trouble with anyone.

What is the situation in jail? If the jail is over crowded, do I end up sleeping on the ground? What are the likely and unlikely dangers I will have to face?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to "BetterDaysAhead"
Sponsored Links