View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Repeating information from elsewhere on this board - not my personal experience - there are good and bad PD's just as there are good and bad private attorneys. Here is what PD's generally will NOT do - return your call within an hour, or maybe return your call at all if there is nothing relevant to discuss. Tell you what visiting hours at the jail are or where to park. Tell you how to put money on your loved one's books. Hire expensive experts, or any experts at all unless they might actually affect the outcome of the case. Tell your LO that he/she is innocent and everything will be alright. Here is what PD's WILL do - address the meat of the case and fight for the best outcome possible (which may not be the best possible outcome).

When I was going through it with my ex-girlfriend, I was still very tight with her. My entire contact with her PD consisted of her having her secretary tell me what the rules were on bringing her clothes to wear to court (she never went to trial anyway) and calling me for about four minutes to tell me they made a plea deal and tell me where to send my "What a wonderful person she is" letter to the judge. Which was about all she SHOULD have said to me.
This is more true than most realize. Many people mistake "hand holding" for competence. In most cases, PDs are actually pretty good, particularly as addressed above on the federal level. I know countless examples of cases where people plead after hiring an attorney to the same offer extended to the original PD. But if you want the same day callback or constant jail visits, then you'll likely not find it with a PD and will need to hire an attorney. Criminal defense attorneys know the game; cash upfront is the standard policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
bellisq (11-18-2019)