Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison > Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified Discussion
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified Discussion Forum for discussions concerning Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified issues.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Transgender Visitation

I'm new. Thanks for the greetings (in advance since this is my first post). I actually have two questions, one of which goes in this forum, so I'll make that the first one.

I'm a transgender female (mtf), and would like to go see a friend in prison. I'm in VA, and apparently the policy says that I have to go as my birth gender. Putting aside all the obvious questions that that would bring me to ask them, I have begun the surgical proceedings for the top floor, but haven't replaced the outdoor plumbing with the indoor plumbing (being purposefully vague, don't want to scare the kiddies that might be reading this). The top floor is HUGE, at 42C "window shades".

Now, I can dress male. However, I can't hide the "window shades." What is the procedure for this? Can I go in androgynous clothing and just hope that they ignore my "lumpy curtains"?

Secondly, this next question is kinda limited to VA people, though people from all states are welcome to respond as to what the rules are in their state..... if I ever went to prison, where would they stick me if I have not yet had the plumber install the indoor plumbing? I've read that in some states, depending on the size of the "window shades", they stick you in women's prison.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and thanks for sitting through that really awkward phrasing of a really awkward question.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fyrstar For This Useful Post:
CoNpal (01-10-2010), jasonzwifey2011 (02-04-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 AM

They ACTUALLY have a policy on this? If that's the case and you need to hide the top some, try doing what they did in the old days - binding. Gotta use some strong woven material - flat sheet, canvas etc and pull it tight. Probably will need to sew velcro on it to hold it - anything else they probably wouldn't allow inside. Wear an oversized woven shirt - nothing knit as it will hug the curves. Good luck! Not sure what else you can do unless you want to tell everyone there what is going on.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,880 Times in 4,122 Posts

I would say go as you would like to dress as long as it is legal for either sex and let them figure it out,,I could see them now,,having a female pat you down up top and then having a male come in and pat you down for the bottom ,,let me know tho,,this is interesting info to have.
PS if you got 42's go female top and male bottom
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
February 2008

Yep, I would go in what you're comfortable in. As Babi said, let them figure it out. Afterall, it's their stupid rule. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
My husband is home....

Have you changed your ID as of yet? I would think you would go as what is listed on your ID. If it now says woman, wouldn't you feel out your application as such. I know I just handled a business transaction for a man who became a woman. He had his orig. ID but also his paperwork from the courts where he changed his name legally. He was able to get proper ID to match his new name.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Antonio's Angel

Because you have the plumbing you would go to prison where the male plumbers go. There was a case in Arkansas at Brickey's Prison about this recently. The MtF was being denied hormones, and the rest of the surgical procedure. The rule is what ever bathroom you legally have to pee in is the prison you would go to. I know this for a fact. Check our state and you may be able to find the article. Sorry I forgot the name, but it was and african american male. Check it out. Pretty interesting stuff.

Good luck.
I love Antonio with all my heart!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Yep, in Federal Prison you would have to go play with the boys, seen it too many times! Good luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM

LOL!!! Go as female top and male bottom? I'll do that and let you know how it works=D

I wonder if I should apply for a job as a CO while I'm there?

"'Scuse me, while I have you both in here feeling me up, can you tell me where I go to fill out an application?

As for playing with the boys (shudder), I guess I better save up the money and get the surgery ASAP!!!

I've already had my name changed legally. but the new ID still has the dreaded M on it.

T.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
---------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstar
LOL!!! Go as female top and male bottom? I'll do that and let you know how it works=D

I wonder if I should apply for a job as a CO while I'm there?

"'Scuse me, while I have you both in here feeling me up, can you tell me where I go to fill out an application?
ROFL!!! I'm cryin here, LMAO! I LOVE your style, Fyrstr!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Hehehe, I have a saying along the lines of, "If you can't leave em, then leave em laughing!"

I seriously think the CO job might be a good thing. Heck, I'm getting a prostate exam, a breast exam, and all free! Who knows what I'll get if I actually APPLY for the job?!??!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM

One of the inmates at Hobby in Texas is a hermaphrodite. Has both sets of "plumbing" and identifies himself as a man. Poor guy was kept at county forever before they decided to stick him in a womans unit for fear of what might happen to him in a male prison.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 AM

Ouch! I can imagine that county wasn't such a wonderful place for him/her.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM

I am a female to male transgender person and I just got out of county jail Yes it sucked! I was put in with the women who thought it was cool to have a guy around I got tired of explaining why I had a beard
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,548 Times in 5,624 Posts

Oh wow! i think this is why i dont hang out in this forum,only because its so painful and scary to me! Im still VERY SLOWLY going male2female and its so scary...i like my downstairs and God was more than gracious when he gave that to me,but i want to have a nice upstairs...not too big...34,36? you know if i was going to visit someone incarcerated,and im in california, i would just be me. tshirt,jeans, and some cute shoes,minimum makeup... i like the andrognous look....
What about your friend who is in? i think you said they were female.
transgender encompasses so much. at first i couldnt understand why a guy would become a woman,when he was already attracted to women...but then understood its not what sex you are attracted to....its how you seee you, feel you...it took awhile to figure out i was a bisexual female, excuse me, AM a bisexual female.
Welcome to PTO! Thanks for getting me to stop by...i need to be here more.
luvluvluv Wendi
Old 10-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Donation Award 

ALL these RULES!! I think that visitors shouldn't be questioned about it that's not right! Being born in the wrong body is NOT a crime thus you shouldn't be punished or questioned. If I was ruler of DOC there would be no need for these type of questions as everyone would be equal. Everyone would be known as a soul and the rest would just be accessories.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM

Hello,Id suggest you just be yourself the ture you regardless to any policys and man made rules.I fore one would never make excceptions fore any occassion,be youself girl ! but do dress consertively by all means,,,And remember Id will the name dose not make a person no more than the clothing he or she wears,,,,Good Luck ! Oh another thing if your then denyed visitation which is actually a priverage will what is that situation called in the legal sustem sounds like bias or civil rights action to me,,,,Tammy White,
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Iam legally Pre-op male-too-female trans gendered from a civil rights action white vs:state of Iowa, doto birth deffects,but still thay consider i have the male unwanted gential which i despise and donot identify with,,,,i always use the ladys public restrooms,rather than being raped in the males,thou despite i donot pass will in society as female,ive actually have experienced very little problems with this,And regardless to name change,,,mine still reflicts the male given name and girls middel name,,,
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Pink*Lady

I have visited plenty times to prisons here in Texas. My ID does say mail. I have a 48C and are very noticable. My brother and sister has brother listed on my visitation. I get ma'me when I get searched and everything. The search process is seperate from the verification process when visiting here in Texas. So when they verified me the search was all and over with. They saw me as a female during search but I have never been questioned or anything. I would say if you look more female then go with the female role and if you look more male than try your hardest with make up or just go as male. In your situation you have 42C which are noticable. They cant descriminate. Or take away your visitation. I say go with whatever you are comfortable as and WORK IT GIRL!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lupe For This Useful Post:
jasonzwifey2011 (02-04-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveandcrazy View Post
I am a female to male transgender person and I just got out of county jail Yes it sucked! I was put in with the women who thought it was cool to have a guy around I got tired of explaining why I had a beard
nice to see another ftm here, hope my time goes ok though this all I have hair all over my body wonder if they make you shave the whole body.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontazzz For This Useful Post:
jasonzwifey2011 (02-04-2010)