Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Addiction plus Mental Health Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Addiction plus Mental Health Issues Information for addiction with mental disorders/disease.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
He holds the key!!!

Default Both of us are bi-polar

Me and my man are both bi-polar and ex addicts. He is still incarcerated and i have been self recovering addict clean for almost 3 yrs. I found that self realization and routine are the key to controlling my bipolar and avoiding drugs. I have helped my man by sharing my experiences and today we had the most wonderful conversation not only because he actually absorbed what i was saying but knows i understand his problems. He seemed to have a break through and talked to me for the first time about his problems. I just wanted to share this for anyone dealing with bipolar and addiction. It helps to know where they are coming from and the thought process they have.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiggysgirl For This Useful Post:
billysbutton (10-03-2012), Jinty62 (10-03-2012), mrs.bowman (02-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regina9363 View Post
Me and my man are both bi-polar and ex addicts. He is still incarcerated and i have been self recovering addict clean for almost 3 yrs. I found that self realization and routine are the key to controlling my bipolar and avoiding drugs. I have helped my man by sharing my experiences and today we had the most wonderful conversation not only because he actually absorbed what i was saying but knows i understand his problems. He seemed to have a break through and talked to me for the first time about his problems. I just wanted to share this for anyone dealing with bipolar and addiction. It helps to know where they are coming from and the thought process they have.
Congrats on having a breakthrough with your man. What an uplifting moment that must have been for you. You mention that "self realization and routine" are the key to controlling your bipolar disorder. Does that mean that you're not medicated? It's extremely rare for a bi-polar patient to remain completely stable without some kind of medical intervention. If you're able to do it, then that's absolutely wonderful and hats off to you!

But keep in mind that if you are in fact maintaining completely mental stability and you're not medicated, and you're maintaining complete sobriety without any interventions other than "self realization", your man may not be able to do the same thing when he gets out and may need your support to seek outside help (doctors, AA, etc). Be careful not to make him feel like since you did it alone he should be able to do the same thing. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ItalianHitGirl For This Useful Post:
Allye (01-19-2011), BlueEyedEllie (01-19-2011), Csmcgrl23 (01-19-2011), jojo62706 (05-11-2011), mrs.bowman (02-08-2012)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianHitGirl View Post
Congrats on having a breakthrough with your man. What an uplifting moment that must have been for you. You mention that "self realization and routine" are the key to controlling your bipolar disorder. Does that mean that you're not medicated? It's extremely rare for a bi-polar patient to remain completely stable without some kind of medical intervention. If you're able to do it, then that's absolutely wonderful and hats off to you!

But keep in mind that if you are in fact maintaining completely mental stability and you're not medicated, and you're maintaining complete sobriety without any interventions other than "self realization", your man may not be able to do the same thing when he gets out and may need your support to seek outside help (doctors, AA, etc). Be careful not to make him feel like since you did it alone he should be able to do the same thing. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
I'm bipolar.I do not do well off meds.(believe me,i've tried)I thought i was weak for not being able to go med free but it really is all about a chemical imbalance.PLEASE don't offer your man the advice that he can make it drug free.He may crash and be worse off than ever before.I wish you both well.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

So glad to hear of the breakthrough with your guy, Regina! To be able to face and talk about his problems takes so much strength....tho men don't usually realize that admitting anything that looks like a weakness means they're actually strong. Silly macho dudes

I have several family members who have bipolar and need meds. I have the diagnosis of bipolar II ("soft" bipolar) which is milder in some ways than bipolar 1 in that I don't experience mania but do get non-situational depression, anxiety and horrible insomnia when I go through a down swing. I wouldn't trade my meds for the world because the depression and especially the insomnia are debilitating.

Doctors and researchers are finding (over the last 15 years or so) that the bipolar spectrum can range from atypical depression only to the type of mania that is totally out of control (the no need for sleep, binge shopping, hyper-sexuality, rages type). Since they've discovered it's a spectrum with such a wide degree of severity, they're realizing that many many people are affected and a huge portion are undiagnosed. One thing to take into account is that even though bipolar manifests as psychiatric symptoms, it's actually a physical, neurological disorder. If someone needs meds, it's to fix a physical issue with the brain and is no different than diabetic needing insulin. And thankfully, there are medications available now that don't have the horrible side effects as some of the older ones.

Like I said, so many people on the bipolar spectrum are not diagnosed and are they are often treated with typical antidepressants and anxiety meds which work for a bit but then stop working which often leaves the person worse off than they were unmedicated. It takes meds that specifically target the part of the brain that's causing the symptoms...not meds that just treat the symptoms. Many, many people who are undiagnosed, misdiagnosed or refuse to accept the diagnosis and meds turn to alcohol and drug abuse to try to self-medicate. Treating their addiction has to address both detoxing and finding the proper meds (varies for individuals and sometimes takes a while to figure out which meds and doses are needed). Detoxing and traditional substance abuse programs such as 12 step do not work until the medical condition is treated.

And chiming in to agree with ItalianHitGirl and marcsbeth, it is very rare for someone to be able to manage bipolar without meds. I know one person who does, but I cannot emphasize enough how rare that is. Be sure to let your sweetie know this because he may very well get down on himself and make things worse if he has to have them while you don't. Stress to him that you're an exception to the rule and the odds are huge that he'll need them.

Wishing the best for you both!

Last edited by Allye; 01-19-2011 at 11:02 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allye For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (01-19-2011), ItalianHitGirl (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM

The meds that help me the most are xanax and trileptal. I have GAD & Depression. Nobody understands why I feel I need them. They say I can do it on my own by self realization...but I can't! I was born on cocaine & methadone for heaven's sake...I *DO* have a chemical imbalance too! I suffer to keep my loved ones around though...
The Following User Says Thank You to hischubchub For This Useful Post:
ItalianHitGirl (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSAGGERS View Post
The meds that help me the most are xanax and trileptal. I have GAD & Depression. Nobody understands why I feel I need them. They say I can do it on my own by self realization...but I can't! I was born on cocaine & methadone for heaven's sake...I *DO* have a chemical imbalance too! I suffer to keep my loved ones around though...
I don't want to veer off track from this thread too much but just real quick, do you mind if I ask what GAD is?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM
He holds the key!!!

Talking

Just to answer a few questions an make a few comments about what i have read regarding my thread. Self realizations and routine are the keys to keeping me on track...but i do take wellbutrin on a daily. I was told that i needed a mood inhibitor but chose not to as long as i can maintain control with the wellbutrin. My man is one that could NEVER go without meds. He is severe with the moods and the minute he trys to go without them...its all over with and he ends up incarcerated. We ALL know this and encourage him to take take them as he is directed too. I simply try to help him with things he can do to make the moods not so bad. ie.. scheduled sleep, low stress, not overwhelming himself, watching what he eats, keeping things in order, and to watch for the symptoms & redirect himself to avoid the swing or make it not so severe. Happy thoughts
I know how my mind works and i try to study how he his works to make things easier. I know we will have a very rough road ahead of us..but i love him and in order to be with him .... i know that i need to stay strong and patient!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiggysgirl For This Useful Post:
Allye (03-20-2011), ItalianHitGirl (01-25-2011), Jinty62 (10-03-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 AM

Talking

Omg!! me and my old man both r dual diagnosis and me, bi-polar him schitzophrenic & both medicated and recovering addicts! THAT'S AWESOME THAT U HAVE BEEN CLEAN 4 SOO LONG CONGRATULATIONS!! Finally, i just wanted 2 c thank you 4 putting that out there 4 all of us suffering from this and thought we were the only 1's that would put it out there.THANK YOU!

Last edited by mrs.bowman; 02-08-2012 at 01:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.bowman For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (10-03-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianHitGirl View Post

completly agree 100%
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 AM

Thumbs up be careful

100% agree if u can do it thats the bomb,but DO NOT him x-pect to change just cuz u did remember,he has 2 get out of the shell shock and used 2 pple making his decisions 4 him his only instinct might b numb the shock,x-citement,nervousness, and any pain,by self medicating it's all habit just cuz he's been sober n there by force doesn't mean he will not feel overwhelmed AND feel like he has 2 live up 2 the expectations u set not saying ur pushing him 2 meet ur success just my opinion!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
not living in fear

2 yrs. clean today from heroin....my fiance is incarcerated and has been clean for 3 yrs. from heroin we are both bipolar, and we were not takeing our meds. he still has an alcohol problem wich not being on meds being bipolar with an exsplosive personality and drinking is what landed him where he is now. He was abusive when he drank and i payed the price. Now we are both paying the price for that. He is an inmate and I and his son are outmates. We love and miss him very much. I am working on getting back on my meds. which are Lithium, Trilifon, Trazadone, Risprodol, and Busbar. Yes i am extremely mentally sick. He has been on his meds since he was arrested in March of this yr. every conversation we have had has been excelent. I am praying that prison will help him grow strong and keep him from drinking when he gets released which is 11/22/2014.