Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War > News Articles - The Drug War in North America
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

News Articles - The Drug War in North America News items about the War on Drugs in North America

Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 AM

Default New drug court signals fresh approach

Maybe, maybe, maybe...see the article here.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...849327,00.html
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
waiting for him

What an excellent article, and so true. Perhaps if more states did this, it would help keep the situation in a more positive light for rehabilitation!!! Thanks for posting this!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM
"Nil Admirari"

I agree that was a great article. Hopefully more people will read it and people will start trying to make it work in all communities.
2010 Club #38

Dangerously in Love #17

Its only when I look into his eyes ................................ that I can see my future!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Coondoggg

The Drug thing, seems to be a pretty big reason people are incarcerated these days. This country put a man on the moon in the 60's, but 27 years later, they can't stop drugs from entering the country ? I don't buy it! Back in 82 Ronald Reagan got caught financing the South American drug cartels. Then his wife started "DARE to keep kids off drugs" program just 2 years later (this was suppose to uphold the familys' reputation I guess). We need a government that will stop this problem and quit looking for new ways to make money off of it. Sending them to treatment centers, probation officers, courts, and prisons is just their way of saying we're going to get our hands into your pockets!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coondoggg For This Useful Post:
Centafanti (05-26-2014)
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 PM
"Nil Admirari"

Coondoggg..... Very good point!
2010 Club #38

Dangerously in Love #17

Its only when I look into his eyes ................................ that I can see my future!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,759 Times in 689 Posts
Default A Start

This article seems to indicate a genuine attempt to FIX the problems associated with addiction.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Donation Award 

A lost drug war .my son is in this war he has to fight everyday to stay strong, make it day by day ! I not say-ing he has done no wrong in his life
but 15 yrs 8 months on conspirary ( only the word of a person in trouble ) non violent
a broken war
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Default reply

I have sent letters to all 100 US senators asking them to invest in a realistic treatment for the illness of addiction. The sit and talk thing just doesn't cut it. Addicts who are not using still deal with that craving and may be clean now but using an hour from now. People with cancer have chemo and radition and people with depression at one time had labotomies. You would think that as much money and hardships that is created in this country by the use of drugs, that it is time to invest in a realistic treatment that is affordable to our addicts. I sent the letters in April and so far have heard from Liberman who I guess doesn't think the drug issue is that important in Conn. and Warner from Va who said he would keep my letter in mind when voting on related issues. Senator Webb is the senator to contact about investing in treatment for our addicts. One letter to 100 us Senators. Everyone could write one letter and copy and send asking for realistic treatment to give our addicts a shot at LIFE>
The Following User Says Thank You to nithtmare For This Useful Post:
Centafanti (05-26-2014)
Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 PM
gj07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithtmare View Post
I have sent letters to all 100 US senators asking them to invest in a realistic treatment for the illness of addiction. The sit and talk thing just doesn't cut it. Addicts who are not using still deal with that craving and may be clean now but using an hour from now. People with cancer have chemo and radition and people with depression at one time had labotomies. You would think that as much money and hardships that is created in this country by the use of drugs, that it is time to invest in a realistic treatment that is affordable to our addicts. I sent the letters in April and so far have heard from Liberman who I guess doesn't think the drug issue is that important in Conn. and Warner from Va who said he would keep my letter in mind when voting on related issues. Senator Webb is the senator to contact about investing in treatment for our addicts. One letter to 100 us Senators. Everyone could write one letter and copy and send asking for realistic treatment to give our addicts a shot at LIFE>
I agree with you on that. I am sending letters to every congressman on the House Judicial Committee. I don't know if you saw this list or not. This is under Laws and Legislation, Second chance Act for Ex-Offenders. Someone posted a list of all the members and their telephone numbers. This is listed on the second page of that thread. I did a web search for each name to get their address. You can also find their e-mail addreesses with a search if you prefer e-mail. A simple phone call to each or least some will also help. Mine is not facing federal charges--but we all need to work for the benefit of all.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Default Drug court

In the state of Missouri some county have this thing they call "Drug Court" It's nothing but a black pit for the county to get grants and federal, state , local tax money from. I've known very few people to even pass through this so called rehab. system. If its a state charge your just better off going and doing your time cause the time you waste in "Drug Court" you could already be done with your time and counting time off your parole.

It's kinda like the 120 day shock treatment or drug treatment they offer here in missouri. Its a sure way of keeping you in the system for along time, Ill explain.

Say your sentenced to 3 year sentence and they offer you 120 day treatment. You finish your treatment program and are released, Upon release your put on probation usually 5 years. Now the probation isn't like parole where everyday your out counts against your sentence. Say if you walk down 4.5 years of probation mess up even something minor then you go back and do your 3 year original sentence the 3 years which you would have only done afew months on a year anyway probaly 8-10 months. So now you've waste 4.5 years plus the 120 treatment then "if" you messed up you go do your 3 years so your in the system for a total of about 8 years for a 3 years sentence.

And now with "Drug Court" Its like this. Get a charge sentence to drug court stay in drug court for awhile mess up go back to court get 120 day treatment get out on probation maybe mess up go do your time so now your in the system even longer. And by mess up I don't mean dirty Ua or such I mean like missing a drug court meeting , or whatever other meetings your suppose to goto. You can be in the system a very long time over just a minor charge.

Sorry for sounding so negative on this subject I've just seen it happen to many times.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Wink

I like your feedback! Good choice of words!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondoggg View Post
The Drug thing, seems to be a pretty big reason people are incarcerated these days. This country put a man on the moon in the 60's, but 27 years later, they can't stop drugs from entering the country ? I don't buy it! Back in 82 Ronald Reagan got caught financing the South American drug cartels. Then his wife started "DARE to keep kids off drugs" program just 2 years later (this was suppose to uphold the familys' reputation I guess). We need a government that will stop this problem and quit looking for new ways to make money off of it. Sending them to treatment centers, probation officers, courts, and prisons is just their way of saying we're going to get our hands into your pockets!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 AM

Thanked 13,500 Times in 3,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convicted View Post
In the state of Missouri some county have this thing they call "Drug Court" It's nothing but a black pit for the county to get grants and federal, state , local tax money from. I've known very few people to even pass through this so called rehab. system. If its a state charge your just better off going and doing your time cause the time you waste in "Drug Court" you could already be done with your time and counting time off your parole.

It's kinda like the 120 day shock treatment or drug treatment they offer here in missouri. Its a sure way of keeping you in the system for along time, Ill explain.

Say your sentenced to 3 year sentence and they offer you 120 day treatment. You finish your treatment program and are released, Upon release your put on probation usually 5 years. Now the probation isn't like parole where everyday your out counts against your sentence. Say if you walk down 4.5 years of probation mess up even something minor then you go back and do your 3 year original sentence the 3 years which you would have only done afew months on a year anyway probaly 8-10 months. So now you've waste 4.5 years plus the 120 treatment then "if" you messed up you go do your 3 years so your in the system for a total of about 8 years for a 3 years sentence.

And now with "Drug Court" Its like this. Get a charge sentence to drug court stay in drug court for awhile mess up go back to court get 120 day treatment get out on probation maybe mess up go do your time so now your in the system even longer. And by mess up I don't mean dirty Ua or such I mean like missing a drug court meeting , or whatever other meetings your suppose to goto. You can be in the system a very long time over just a minor charge.

Sorry for sounding so negative on this subject I've just seen it happen to many times.

I worked with 'drug court' with my last job in Texas. This program is what a client makes out of it. Of course some people sign the contract so they don't have to go to jail or prison but I have seen families put back together with the help of counselors, group sessions so they understand they aren't fighting their addictions alone, and answering to probation officers, urinalysis, and the judge once a week sometimes bring people back to wanting a better life.
I mean if an individual has the opportunity to have the help they need to kick a drug habit or alcohol and be productive I am all for the program. It saddens me that my son never received such an opportunity and has spent many years behind bars. Prison doesn't help or cure an addict and I see it (prison) to be a bigger money pit then a program offered to help people. I'd be happy to see my tax money spent on this rather then shuffling everyone off to prison where they aren't going to receive anything accept a number and a hard time making it when released.
bb
The Following User Says Thank You to bumblebee37 For This Useful Post:
CraigsWife (08-07-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM

I couldnt link to the article but we actually have a drug treatment court in Lackawanna County.

Lackawanna County Drug Treatment Court is a pet project of Honorable Michael Barasse. The program is directed at rehabilitation. It involves intensive D/A counseing, drug testing, etc . Once completed, usually a 12 month program, charges are expunged.

my ex was writing his own prescripitions and got this. Sad part was 3 months after completing the program he was doctor shopping and did so for 4 yrs. He was arrested by the AG in March-then skipped bail.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 AM

NH is now entertaining drug courts as well. The only thing that bothers me about this is that there are just not enough rehabs in this state or programs available. Unless that is addressed it just seems to me that people will be left out in the cold and potentially "set up to fail" and end up locked up anyway. Right now guys are sitting in prison beyond their minimum and can't be parolled because they haven't finished the programs they need. Why? Because they just don't have the program functioning at the prison or just have the one and no one to run it. Inmates on bed waiting lists are considered last too because it is assumed they are in a safe place a way from drug/alcohol.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Yes, but when my daughter signed her contract at age 19 she was a drug crazed young adult who had no idea what she was getting into, and we were clueless. Yes, she signed it to stay out of prison. There are no drug court laws, only recommendations to follow. My daughter was in drug court for 2 years before they kicked her out. She relapsed once. Was given another chance (according to the guidelines relapse is expected), enterened another TC, did exceptionally well, until the end. She was done with her program and the court would not let her go to the next step because it was out of county. There were no 1/2 way house beds available in our county, waiting list was up to a year or more. So she sat idle for 3 months in this TC, no program, no job... sitting idle is the worst thing for a person with co occuring diagnosis. she turned a employee in, accusing him of tainting urine. She was discharged dishonorably...everyone was sorry to see her go. She went to a shelter where she turned in a bag of herion and was kicked out for doing that. The judge said she could come home. She came home did well, we saw no signs of usage or trouble. One day she came up with a dirty drug test for suboxone...they retested it came up negative. Why they were using a 12 panel drug test on her I do not know, since she had been clean for a year. Wasting tax payers money. A second one surfaced and it was positive, retesting came back positive. He dismissed her from Drug Court and sent her to prison....allmost 3 years after the crime was committed. ONE DRUG TEST IN 13 MONTHS WAS POSITIVE. She swears she never ingested suboxone...who knows. If I had to do it over again....she never should have entered drug court. Never did she get any counceling, just group, group, group. The judge hated her and the court clerk reallyy hated her. The judge was a city judge who fell into this job..he had the compassion of a flea...and the clerk was a ex prison guard!!!!! Ha! talk about compassion. Maybe some people can benefit from this program, but some judges and staff are better suited to deal with this than others...bottom line it all rests on the judge and his mood for the day. No, my daughter is not an angel...she had made so much progress and was basically staying out of trouble, but she was a pain in the ass, and the judge did want her around anymore. Throw her in prison and let her become more angry and confused and learn how to be a better criminal....with no therapy...no nutrition and no positive outlook. There needs to be consistancy, and the people overseeing the drug courts have to want to be there and love what they are doing. NOt the case in my county in NYS. I would love to see the statistics in this particular court. My daughter is in prison for burg in the 2nd she did while high when she was 19, she will be 23 in Sept. Drug court wasted her time....who knew?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee37 View Post
I worked with 'drug court' with my last job in Texas. This program is what a client makes out of it. Of course some people sign the contract so they don't have to go to jail or prison but I have seen families put back together with the help of counselors, group sessions so they understand they aren't fighting their addictions alone, and answering to probation officers, urinalysis, and the judge once a week sometimes bring people back to wanting a better life.
I mean if an individual has the opportunity to have the help they need to kick a drug habit or alcohol and be productive I am all for the program. It saddens me that my son never received such an opportunity and has spent many years behind bars. Prison doesn't help or cure an addict and I see it (prison) to be a bigger money pit then a program offered to help people. I'd be happy to see my tax money spent on this rather then shuffling everyone off to prison where they aren't going to receive anything accept a number and a hard time making it when released.
bb
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 AM

Thanked 13,500 Times in 3,513 Posts

I don't know what to say MartiO. It sounds like your daughter got screwed over by this program if she was in it for 5 years~ours lasted 18 months. Sometimes when a client would relapse they had to start the steps over but I can't really say that I remember anyone being strung along for this period of time. It is more of a last chance program so I don't understand the methods your state uses or used.
In our program every client had children, that was the reason for this program. Some still had their child (ren) but most were already in the custody of the state so the clients worked their programs to try to maintain or be reunified with them. They all had 1 on 1 counseling, group therapy, drug testing, they had to attend a drug/and or a alcohol program, they had a life teacher, parenting programs, and had a 1 on 1 with the judge every Thursday afternoon to discuss either their progress or failures within the program. Our judge was compassionate yet stern. He gave everyone the same chance but didn't keep anyone in the program that wasn't really wanting to be there or trying.
Of course there were times when clients failed their testing and the judge would hold them in jail until a rehab bed was open but if they didn't want that then he gave them the opportunity to do their time in prison. As I said, our drug court was a program that if you didn't want to be in it then the judge was more then willing to release a client from it to continue on with the judgement for incarceration because of the waiting list for others wanting the free treatment, help, and a chance to stay on the outside.
I truly do feel sad inside that your daughter is in prison, so is my son. I am even sadder that my son wasn't given the opportunity to have a last chance with a program like this...15-16 years is a long time for someone selling pot. They talked about 'victims' at his hearings but as I see it he is the real victim of a judicial system that had nothing to offer accept many years and 1000's of miles from my front door. I think all of us are in agreement that prison cures nothing.
bb
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 AM

Sounds like it was a much better program, even though it was for parents only. I find 15 years for selling pot infuriating. I just shake my head and roll my eyes and become angry when I hear about these injustices. I will not rant. I feel bad for you and your son. Wish I was younger, not as tired, and more motivated, I would somehow fight for change! The only thing I fight for now is for me to stay sane and healthy enough to see my daughters become happy, successful, and independent women!
The Following User Says Thank You to marti0 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (08-07-2011)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convicted View Post

From your description of it the program differs from state to state. Here in Washington it far better than you describe it. My ex-wife went through the program. She tested positive on a drug test and had another violation during the two years she spent completing the program. They give a person several chances before they go sending them off to prison to serve their sentence. They actually seem like they understand that a person breaking an addiction is going to make some mistakes along the way. In the end she completed it and in return the felony was never put on her record.

I would say it needs some changes though. They are only capable of handling a small number of the cases for drug crimes. They also need to accept people in the program regardless if they are truly trying to help them. I was 37 and it was the first time I had ever been in trouble yet they refused to let me even have the option to go and instead sent me to prison on a 36 month sentence.

Overall it is a very good program.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&Becca View Post
I couldnt link to the article but we actually have a drug treatment court in Lackawanna County.

Lackawanna County Drug Treatment Court is a pet project of Honorable Michael Barasse. The program is directed at rehabilitation. It involves intensive D/A counseing, drug testing, etc . Once completed, usually a 12 month program, charges are expunged.

my ex was writing his own prescripitions and got this. Sad part was 3 months after completing the program he was doctor shopping and did so for 4 yrs. He was arrested by the AG in March-then skipped bail.
I know a number of people who insisted I reject Drug Court and take probation instead. What they described was a highly invasive process. If you are not an addict, probation is enough. If you are an addict, as you have experienced, nothing is really enough. A few lucky ones, in my estimate, get through it OK. The rest just hand over money.