Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Addiction in the News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Addiction in the News Latest news and research about addiction.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Good article on Drug Addicts in prison in U.S.

"...Of the 2.3 million inmates in the U.S., more than half have a history of substance abuse and addiction. Not all those inmates are imprisoned on drug-related charges (although drug arrests have been rising steadily since the early 1990s; there were 195,700 arrests in 2007). But in many cases, their crimes, such as burglary, have been committed in the service of feeding their addictions."

READ MORE!
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/29/t...in-prison.html

My son is an addict, and in prison. I can really relate to this. Here is is story:
www.intexasprison.com
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Default Research

Hi Donnal,
I am sorry about your son. I am trying to find some research investigating a change in geography and recidivism rates. My sister and I are hoping to get my brother to have his probation location changed, so that he may live with her, and get a fresh new start; without the influences he now has. If you have any info on how to go about asking for a change in probation, or research supporting our theory, I'd (we'd) be much obliged.
Thanks
B
Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanked 1,139 Times in 677 Posts

Change in location didn't help my ex husband. He refused to admit he had a problem, refused to get any help & went right back to it.

Wife, son & new baby that he was there to see born. A 40 hr a week job plus a side business on his own that was doing pretty well, and ALL gone because of drugs & drinking.

Set up a good support system. Rehab meetings, church, accountability. He HAS to accept responsibility & WANT to overcome the addiction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:
Brandy'smominal (10-23-2012), jextrane (01-24-2014), josie231 (09-02-2012)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Account Closed

This is a good article, but I wish they would mention alcohol as a drug because it is and what makes it worse is it is a legal drug and then when there is a bar on every corner of every street and it is sold in the stores but then when someone gets into trouble for it, (dui) and they do not offer or make them go to treatment it is wrong! I know some people will say it is there responsibility to get treatment on their own but no it is not, because if and addict don't think they have a problem they are not going to go get help. To go to treatment on your own cost big $$$ I think instead of overcrowding the prisons try treatment first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnal View Post
"...Of the 2.3 million inmates in the U.S., more than half have a history of substance abuse and addiction. Not all those inmates are imprisoned on drug-related charges (although drug arrests have been rising steadily since the early 1990s; there were 195,700 arrests in 2007). But in many cases, their crimes, such as burglary, have been committed in the service of feeding their addictions."

READ MORE!
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/29/t...in-prison.html

My son is an addict, and in prison. I can really relate to this. Here is is story:
www.intexasprison.com
Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks View Post
Change in location didn't help my ex husband. He refused to admit he had a problem, refused to get any help & went right back to it.

Wife, son & new baby that he was there to see born. A 40 hr a week job plus a side business on his own that was doing pretty well, and ALL gone because of drugs & drinking.

Set up a good support system. Rehab meetings, church, accountability. He HAS to accept responsibility & WANT to overcome the addiction.

In order to understand the addict, you have to understand addiction and how it parallels disease. Incarcerating an addict and hoping they will change is like putting a diabetic in prison and hoping they will be cured.

Anyone trying to understand why shaking an addiction is close to impossible should watch Pleasure Unwoven. It's a DVD, very well done by a doctor/addict. Available on amazon. It will explain why your loved ones act the way they do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texasmom123 For This Useful Post:
jextrane (01-24-2014), Lordbew/us (01-23-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Robbie's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandD View Post
This is a good article, but I wish they would mention alcohol as a drug because it is and what makes it worse is it is a legal drug and then when there is a bar on every corner of every street and it is sold in the stores but then when someone gets into trouble for it, (dui) and they do not offer or make them go to treatment it is wrong! I know some people will say it is there responsibility to get treatment on their own but no it is not, because if and addict don't think they have a problem they are not going to go get help. To go to treatment on your own cost big $$$ I think instead of overcrowding the prisons try treatment first.
Amen! Couldn't say it better! It's a disease just like cancer, to put the addict in prison or jail is not fixing the problem just delaying it. It's not going to go away!!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Sam

It's terrible and they can get the drugs in prison. In Ohio they can't get into a drug treatment program until they are closer to getting out. There are AA/NA meetings though. The problem just festers.