Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,241 Posts
Default Is school worth it if one has a felony?

We all know school is so expensive and I'm determined to get thru it. However sometimes I begin to doubt that it'll be worth the time and money. It's already difficult to get a job with this economy...it's even more difficult when a person has a felony, like I do. And until I graduate with my Associates this spring, I only have a high school diploma. My concern is that I'm going to school for psychology and sociology....is it realistic for me to think I could ever get a job in either field (preferably as a researcher...not as a counselor) with having a felony???? Sometimes I think I can make it work but other times I'm not so sure. I had a therapist once tell me I set too high of goals for myself (in regards to my education), so sometimes I wonder if she was right.

"Time as a measurement of love is eternal.
It extends beyond the borders of forever into the depths of infinity.
I love you this and much more."
~~M'love

Finally, happily married to m'love: 1/25/13.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Of course it's worth it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that in the long run, it will cost you much more to NOT go to school than it will to continue your education. Your felonies will probably be a big obstacle, but I still think more companies will be willing to hire a felon with a degree than a person with no degree and no record. School is too expensive, but it's not unattainable for anyone. There's always grants and loans. I can't imagine what kind of horrible therapist would tell someone that dreaming of getting an education is setting their goals too high.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadGrlGoneGood For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (02-17-2012), nimuay (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,991 Posts

Anyone who tells you your goals are too high should get another job.
From your posts on PTO,I would say your only limitations are the ones you allow others to bind to your mind.
Follow your dreams ,I bet your future is bright and rewarding!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thank you, both of you.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked the therapist had said that...my jaw dropped. On a number of occasions when I was seeing her, she suggest I quit school and just find a job (because I was financially struggling; she didn't seem to get the fact that I received more money from my GI Bill than I would have if I found some menial minimum wage job). I was really hurt by her saying that tho. Usually I have no doubts about going to school and I'm focused on getting my degrees. Just sometimes I wonder, particularly about getting a job in the field I'm studying, if maybe she was right....when I'm depressed or stressed out, that little remark of hers plays over and over in the back of my mind.

~~M'love

Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,991 Posts

The worst evil is done by those that should be lifing us up and not pulling us down,while our guard is lowered.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,642 Times in 8,105 Posts

Your goals are fine. You just need to be sure that the field you choose has nothing to do with your felony. And be sure of the licensing regulations within that field. Check those out to be absolutely sure that you can get the licenses you need.
HesMyForever (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesMyForever
We all know school is so expensive and I'm determined to get thru it. However sometimes I begin to doubt that it'll be worth the time and money. It's already difficult to get a job with this economy...it's even more difficult when a person has a felony, like I do. And until I graduate with my Associates this spring, I only have a high school diploma. My concern is that I'm going to school for psychology and sociology....is it realistic for me to think I could ever get a job in either field (preferably as a researcher...not as a counselor) with having a felony???? Sometimes I think I can make it work but other times I'm not so sure. I had a therapist once tell me I set too high of goals for myself (in regards to my education), so sometimes I wonder if she was right.
I don't know what your felony charge is but my ex husband served time and has a criminal record a mile long. It was when he was young; 17 to 20 or so and his charges stemmed from addiction issues but most where for theft and forgery, burglary, things like that. He did serve about 3 years. But as of today he has been clean for over 20 years and he is a licensed chemical dependency counselor. He was the director of intake at a clinic here and has recently transferred to another facility to do the same thing. It did take him a little more time and work but it overcame the obstacles and made it happen.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 AM

Go all the way with school. I am a convicted felon. I served 10 years in Federal Prison. After my release in 2008 I decided to go back to school for human services. I graduate in June.. Never let the fact that you are a felon discourage you. There are people out here who are willing to look beyond your record. Once I graduate I will still continue schooling. I will not stop until I receive my Phd. Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Loyalty428 For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Your goals are fine. You just need to be sure that the field you choose has nothing to do with your felony. And be sure of the licensing regulations within that field. Check those out to be absolutely sure that you can get the licenses you need.
I have tried to find out, I keep getting told that it is up to the board whether they would approve of me to get the licensing. However, I've also been told that if I am just a researcher, I don't need a License since I'm not treating patients. I contemplated talking to my Psych professor (she has her PhD), but am a bit nervous about revealing the fact to her that I have a criminal record.

~~M'love