Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Computer & Technical Help - Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Computer & Technical Help - Q&A Having technical difficulties, have a question about PTO or computers & the Internet in general? Post it here...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,767 Times in 7,078 Posts

Hello, again- Travelling in Oregon, motel room with a lousy bed...Last night I could not sleep and, though he swears it does not bother him, I did not want to keep the light on when my husband had to get up at 5:30am.... My little e-reader allowed me to read a few chapters with only a little glow that would not disturb any sane person- THAT alone was worth the purchase price.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
krystal_is_me (04-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Sharon

I have both the large and small Kindle. My eyes tire very easy and I have Arthritis in both hands. I cannot hold on to a paperback anymore. With the big Kindle I have the text set large. It's easy on my eyes and I don't have to hold it. I have over 200 books on it. (100 were free) I don't want the color Kindle at all. I bought this for reading and I love the fact that I can read again. Plus, I have the Kindle on my computer. Amazon keeps track of were you are in a book so when you open it. it opens to the correct page. If you want to preview it, you can down load it to your computer, I-pad, etc for free and try it out. I love them.

Last edited by Deerlover; 04-17-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Deerlover For This Useful Post:
esteli (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
waiting on forever.

I love my kindle! My friend And I have always traded real books and we love lending each other books via the kindle! As long as the wifi is off the battery lasts a long time! The lack of glare reading in dierect light is amazing, and I picked up a lighted kindle cover so that I can read in bed. I don't mind that it doesn't have color, it looks more like a book that way.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." Maria Robinson
The Following User Says Thank You to krystal_is_me For This Useful Post:
esteli (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
PTO Admin - SysOp
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,929 Times in 968 Posts

I bought the latest Kindle for my girlfriend for our 4 (MONTH) Anniversary.. Yeah, I like her that much! ((I've never celebrated month-a-versaries before!)) I have an iPad that I really like but for book reading, the Kindle kicks the iPads 'arse'! Next paycheck I'm hopefully going to be buying one for me..

As much as I love the touch screen features of the Apple and now the Droids, I really like the basics of the Kindle.. And especially the screen in natural light(!)... Of course, I haven't laid hands on the other dedicated e-readers so they could be just as good.

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Donation Award 

Talking NOOK lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I bought the latest Kindle for my girlfriend for our 4 (MONTH) Anniversary.. Yeah, I like her that much! ((I've never celebrated month-a-versaries before!)) I have an iPad that I really like but for book reading, the Kindle kicks the iPads 'arse'! Next paycheck I'm hopefully going to be buying one for me..

As much as I love the touch screen features of the Apple and now the Droids, I really like the basics of the Kindle.. And especially the screen in natural light(!)... Of course, I haven't laid hands on the other dedicated e-readers so they could be just as good.
David, I cannot live without my Nook Color! It is so wonderful for an avid reader. I especially love all the library books that are now ebooks and the many free books. So glad I purchased it.

Love is patient, love is kind.....
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Free together again by 2020
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 AM

Love the Nook Tablet. Even use it to access PTO Also love my iPad, but I don't usually use it for reading books unless my Nook is charging (luckily I can access all my books with the Nook app...)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Donation Award 

Default My winner is...

My first e-reader was a Kindle Fire (first version). HATED IT! That was a while ago, so I don't remember everything -- especially since I returned it nearly immediately -- but it had rather bad specs (heavy, no expandable storage, no 3G, etc.). The ONLY thing that I liked about the Kindle was buying books from Amazon. *sigh* I LOVE buying books from Amazon...

After doing a little research, though, I got a 16GB Nook Tablet -- much better specs -- and turned it into a full Android tablet with a Nook2Android card. I was then able to download the Kindle app and thus get the best of both worlds (to me): the ability to buy books from Amazon but read them on the Nook. However, what became a problem for me next was that the standard-sized e-reader/tablet felt too large and unwieldy...just awkward for some reason. I wanted something that was easier to hold in one hand, so...

Enter the Samsung Galaxy Note II "phablet" (phone/tablet)!!! Okay, yeah, it's a behemoth-sized phone -- because I always use a Bluetooth headset, though, it doesn't bother me -- but it's the absolute perfect size for an e-reader!!! (Well, at least to me it's perfect.) And it's just an excellent device overall. So, yeah, maybe an unconventional pick, but it's working out great!!!

If anyone has any questions about it, please feel free to ask.

Oh, and just one other note:

As far as apps go, I have most of the popular reading apps on my phone: Kindle, Nook, Aldiko, Moon+ Reader, FBReader, and Play Books. (I also have OverDrive Media Console, which lets me borrow books from public libraries.) I buy my e-books from just about anywhere now, because I convert them to the EPUB format, which most apps can read, by using a free program called Calibre.

Again, any questions, please feel free to ask.

Hope something in the above helps!

~ Maushel
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,617 Posts

I have a kindle and a mini iPad. I love love love my kindle. It's not touch screen or color it is fantastic! It's also missing. So I've been using my iPad with kindle app. It's great, works well comes in color and obviously has all the bells and whistles that come with an iPad. I still want my kindle. my son has a kindle touch and its smaller than mine but thicker. He can read with light off which I like but I don't think the touch is as intuitive as an iPad and its slow. For him though its just for books and that's perfect. There are tons of free books and samples. We love that.

Don't fall for the amazon prime if you read a lot and fast you only get one book a month for free so for me who reads as many as 3 -4 a week that's useless. Also textbooks are great on the kindle app or kindle as you can look for things quickly and my son can tap a word an get the definition.