Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - Information Point > California Death Row
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Death Row Information and discussion that relates to Death Row in the state of California.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Campaign to repeal DP

A group seeking to ask California voters to repeal the death penalty has netted nearly $1.2 million in recent weeks to aid its drive to qualify for the 2012 ballot.
The contributions, made to a committee created to fund the proposed ballot measure, were reported this week in campaign finance filings posted on the secretary of state website.
Major donors listed in the report include several California branches of the American Civil Liberties Union ($41,770), Google executive Robert Alan Eustace ($125,000), Hyatt Development Corporation CEO Nicholas Pritzker ($500,000), and Netflix CEO Reed Hastings ($125

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...#ixzz1fEXrZi1B
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

In November the SAFE California Act initiative will give state voters the chance to end the death penalty here. Since much bigger minds than mine have taken a look at exactly what having a death penalty is doing for California, let’s begin with a few of things they have already observed.

Read more.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Default campaign to end death penalty

Thanks for the update on CA abolition. Good information on who some of the donors to fund the ballot initiative---I admire those people who use their good fortune with a conscience!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
Thanks for the update on CA abolition. Good information on who some of the donors to fund the ballot initiative---I admire those people who use their good fortune with a conscience!
By the way, I'm having trouble posting a 'reply' to a post, we'll see if this goes through
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
By the way, I'm having trouble posting a 'reply' to a post, we'll see if this goes through
haha, okay this time it worked, but was getting "cannot make URL's until you hve made 25 posts or more", guess I've just gotten rusty on this site. Well, while I'm here, is it okay to post links to actions on the dp, hoping to get some users to make calls, etc.?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

They are doing a great job in MD too!
O'Malley tried — and failed — to repeal the state's death penalty in 2009. Instead the Assembly severely restricted the circumstances under which capital punishment could be sought, in an attempt to reduce errors. Now it is only allowed in cases where there is DNA evidence, a taped confession or a video recording of the crime.
Read more here.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,028 Posts

MD's senate just had a hearing on repealing the death penalty last Wed. The bill died in committee.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM

I've been working with a group in Georgia, since Sept. 2011. We proposed a law restricting DP only to cases with scientific evidence. Obviously we all want total abolition, but thought this bill might just have a chance in hell in the good ole south. It also died in committee. When I called our legislator who proposed the bill to ask how much feedback and calls of support they'd gotten, they said, not much---very maddening since we'd worked our butts off trying to get people to call in support. One of the staffers told me they'd been "swamped with calls" about 'birthin babies and guns.' God forbid a human life should mean as much as your gun. Nothing will ever change until the true PRO LIFE people get as active as the idiots. So, I was v. depressed, and then today heard about the death of a dear friend in Raiford. I've dealt with depression all my life, and until I began to work on this issue and became friends with TD, had been able to keep it at bay most of the time, but now it's heavy--afraid I don't have the temperament to be in this.

Let me ask again, can we post links to DP actions on here for people to get involved? Should they be posted in the relevant state forum? Also, I think we're not supposed to mention names in posts, is that right?

Funny how important you guys have been to me the last year. Thanks for that. I've had such a struggle with my faith since 9/21/11, don't think there's much of it left.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Please post links regarding the D/P or abiltion in this forum. You can use the names of officials when posting their contact info. Depending on the action you might want to use or start a different thread but it should be in the CP Forum. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 987 Posts
Default Measure that would end death penalty in California qualifies for ballot

California is set for a major debate on the death penalty following qualification Monday of a November ballot measure that would replace capital punishment with a life term without possibility of parole.
If passed, the measure would make California the 18th state in the nation to end the death penalty. During the last five years, four states have replaced the death penalty and Connecticut is soon to follow.

Read more
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Interesting, thanks for posting!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid
Interesting, thanks for posting!
You welcome!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
A truly blessed Site Mod

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,189 Times in 2,705 Posts

Quote:
I've been working with a group in Georgia, since Sept. 2011. We proposed a law restricting DP only to cases with scientific evidence. Obviously we all want total abolition, but thought this bill might just have a chance in hell in the good ole south. It also died in committee. When I called our legislator who proposed the bill to ask how much feedback and calls of support they'd gotten, they said, not much---very maddening since we'd worked our butts off trying to get people to call in support. One of the staffers told me they'd been "swamped with calls" about 'birthin babies and guns.' God forbid a human life should mean as much as your gun. Nothing will ever change until the true PRO LIFE people get as active as the idiots. So, I was v. depressed, and then today heard about the death of a dear friend in Raiford. I've dealt with depression all my life, and until I began to work on this issue and became friends with TD, had been able to keep it at bay most of the time, but now it's heavy--afraid I don't have the temperament to be in this.

Let me ask again, can we post links to DP actions on here for people to get involved? Should they be posted in the relevant state forum? Also, I think we're not supposed to mention names in posts, is that right?

Funny how important you guys have been to me the last year. Thanks for that. I've had such a struggle with my faith since 9/21/11, don't think there's much of it left.

We have a petition forum that may be of assistance to you here

Summertime is here!!!