Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Account Suspended
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,993 Posts
Default Texan declared innocent after 30 years in prison

DALLAS – A Texas man had his conviction overturned Tuesday for a rape and robbery he didn't commit after serving 30 years in prison, more time than any other inmate subsequently exonerated by DNA evidence in his state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/...neration_texas

Last edited by Miss_A; 01-04-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Donation Award 

They gave him 75 years for the robbery based on the "victim" picking him out of a line-up and they never even tried the rape case. Now it seems he did neither. Shame on you Texas
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Devoted Wife
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,517 Posts

Wow, this was a great story! And my favorite part was that a day after his release, he married the woman that stood by him for over 20 of the 30 years in there. It seems like everyone had a good ending.
NY/NJ/CT Support Conference Call 9/11/2012 8:30PM-9:30PM
Send PM for more info
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissVal1920 For This Useful Post:
Dances_w_Ghosts (07-17-2011), ExCountyWrkr (05-09-2012), KirstenTaylorC (06-12-2012), Sheryl P. (06-11-2012)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
queendrury

im so happy for this man who stood up for his truth that he is innocent!!i pray that all innocent men and women who are falsely convicted stand up for their truths bc the day of freedom and recognition is close at hand.true, this man is gonna be rich in monetary sense but i think he would rather have had his freedom and the chance to have a family and grandchildren!!all the money in the world cant replace having a family and seeing our offspring bloom into generations.what a shame our country is........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QUEENDRURY For This Useful Post:
Dances_w_Ghosts (07-17-2011), ExCountyWrkr (05-09-2012)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
TIME INVESTED IN LOVE

This story is what makes me hate the system . And the other part is paying him 2.4 Million thats not enough for all those years . He needs at least 24 million,to seal the deal. But im happy for mrs. Selma though shes a trooper she loved him until the end . And to be honest i would leave texas .
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Oh wow. Poor guy, that's so great and amazing that he's got his life back now!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,721 Posts

This happens a lot in Texas because they are so quick to judge and play God. I am glad we have the DA that we do because he has been doing a great job of releasing innocent people.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 PM

I know you'd be over the moon to be finally released but 30 years !!???!!...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM

30 years...they need to pay him a million for each year, but we know that's not going to happen. At what point will they make a change in these prisons?
The Following User Says Thank You to MsPrettiJackson For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-07-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_A View Post
DALLAS – A Texas man had his conviction overturned Tuesday for a rape and robbery he didn't commit after serving 30 years in prison, more time than any other inmate subsequently exonerated by DNA evidence in his state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/...neration_texas
I hope there is a way for him to sue the shit out of the TDOC. After spending that many years in prsion, he deserves some type of pay-back for that crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to InmateLover67 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-07-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 AM

I would be concerned that some shyster might try to finesse him out of his money. Read case studies about lottery winners and you will see what I mean.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM

DNA is great and has proven many people innocent. Most states have put a cap on what the wrongfully convicted receives as restitution. Although I agree that money is not as important as your freedom and your name.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 AM

i just read this story its very intreating but its sad that he had to serve that many years, then he was innocent
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,457 Times in 1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klewis View Post
This happens a lot in Texas because they are so quick to judge and play God. I am glad we have the DA that we do because he has been doing a great job of releasing innocent people.
At least someone cares about justice.
I wish more people would care,really care about the people involved like they were their own love ones.
This is why I would really hesitate to take a plea agreement if I was innocent.
He is now exonerated,not just a free man.
It's about time!
The amount they are "compensating"him is peanuts compared to the years he will never get back.
Thank God he had a good woman ,I pray they have many happy years together.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 884 Posts

I think anyone wrongfully imprisoned should be compensated for every day spent in prison, and have all of their bills paid for by the state they were locked up in for the rest of their lives.

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM

oh god, that is horrible. only he knew he was innocent all these years, which makes doing time even harder. poor man. thank god he's out!!! and the "big shots" were WRONG!! they are quick to judge without any remorse. wow 30 years.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 AM

It's a travesty of justice. Can't even think of the anguish that man must haven endured during that 30 years. OMG! My boyfriend is in prison for "stalking" a woman that he was trying to help. She's a raving drunk that abused him while they were together, then when he tried to leave, she charged him with theft for taking his things and then then stalking after she called him trying to be his friend. One minute she was on alcohol acting like a nut and then off, being nice. I found him sitting in a jail after looking for him for 30 years. We were childhood sweethearts. A mutal friend told me that he was there. He was depressed and has no one. If he were in Ohio, these charges wouldn't have ever stuck! (That's where I am...he's in Cali) But she's taking 3 years of his life for being a kind person. Where's the justice in that? Live and learn! I just keep telling him, she threw away the best thing that she could have ever had. Eventually, the alcohol will get her. She's going to die a miserable, lonely woman...all by herself. But he has me now! Thank God I found him.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,457 Times in 1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocigarettes1 View Post
It's a travesty of justice. Can't even think of the anguish that man must haven endured during that 30 years. OMG! My boyfriend is in prison for "stalking" a woman that he was trying to help. She's a raving drunk that abused him while they were together, then when he tried to leave, she charged him with theft for taking his things and then then stalking after she called him trying to be his friend. One minute she was on alcohol acting like a nut and then off, being nice. I found him sitting in a jail after looking for him for 30 years. We were childhood sweethearts. A mutal friend told me that he was there. He was depressed and has no one. If he were in Ohio, these charges wouldn't have ever stuck! (That's where I am...he's in Cali) But she's taking 3 years of his life for being a kind person. Where's the justice in that? Live and learn! I just keep telling him, she threw away the best thing that she could have ever had. Eventually, the alcohol will get her. She's going to die a miserable, lonely woman...all by herself. But he has me now! Thank God I found him.
I'm glad that you have each other.
California is not a good state to do parole in ,I hope you have things planned so he can leave this sorry state as soon as he can.
Three strikes,tough parole and gang validating are all reasons I would love to leave one day (if we can ever get past parole).
And I was born and raised here!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Working hard to get it together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl P. View Post
I'm glad that you have each other.
California is not a good state to do parole in ,I hope you have things planned so he can leave this sorry state as soon as he can.
Three strikes,tough parole and gang validating are all reasons I would love to leave one day (if we can ever get past parole).
And I was born and raised here!
Girl, I'm new to all this. After he's mainlined, we are trying to see what we can do to get him to ohio, by transfer before he's out or by parole. I have no idea what we are up against. I just know, he will keep his nose clean, we will be together, even if I have to move there and try to put all this behind us one day. He was born and raised there. I have fond memories of Cali from when I was a teenager many years ago. I'm 49 now. He's almost 57. But he wants out of that state! Like yesterday. That is one messed up system. It's hard on everyone. Thanks so much for the well wishes. Keep in touch! God bless you!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 10,062 Times in 6,091 Posts

It might be possible to have his parole changed to Ohio because of the interstate parole compact. You will need to find out what needs to be done to qualify for a transfer. Good luck.