Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection > Spiritual Connection Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Spiritual Connection Resources A collection of websites and articles of interest related to The Spiritual Connection.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Default Myths About Islam...

Myths About Islam

[Hopefully this will clear up some of the ignorance that some continue to spread]
The crescent moon is a universal symbol of IslamThe early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad, Islamic caravans and armies flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. The crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years, and wasn't affiliated with Islam at all until the Ottoman Empire placed it on their flag.

Muslims worship a moon-godSome non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Allah is an "Arab god," a "moon god," or some sort of idol. Allah is the proper name of the One True God, in the Arabic language. The most fundamental belief that a Muslim has is that "There is only One God," the Creator, the Sustainer -- known in the Arabic language and by Muslims as Allah. Arabic-speaking Christians use the same word for the Almighty.

Muslims don't believe in JesusIn the Qur'an, stories about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (called 'Isa in Arabic) are abundant. The Qur'an recalls his miraculous birth, his teachings, and the miracles he performed by God's permission. There is even a chapter of the Qur'an named after his mother, Mary (Miriam in Arabic). However, Muslims believe that Jesus was a fully human prophet and not in any way divine himself.

Most Muslims are ArabsWhile Islam is often associated with Arabs, they make up only 15% of the world's Muslim population. The country with the largest population of Muslims is Indonesia. Muslims make up 1/5 of the world's population, with large numbers found in Asia (69%), Africa (27%), Europe (3%) and other parts of the world.

Islam is intolerant of other faithsThroughout the Qur'an, Muslims are reminded that they are not the only ones who worship God. Jews and Christians are called "People of the Book," meaning people who have received previous revelations from the One Almighty God that we all worship. The Qur'an also commands Muslims to protect from harm not only mosques, but also monasteries, synagogues, and churches -- because "God is worshipped therein."

Islam promotes "jihad" to spread Islam by the sword and kill all unbelieversThe word Jihad stems from an Arabic word which means "to strive." Other related words include "effort," "labor," and "fatigue." Essentially Jihad is an effort to practice religion in the face of oppression and persecution. The effort may come in fighting the evil in your own heart, or in standing up to a dictator. Military effort is included as an option, but as a last resort and not "to spread Islam by the sword."

The Quran was written by Muhammad and copied from Christian and Jewish sourcesThe Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad over a period of two decades, calling people to worship One Almighty God and to live their lives according to this faith. The Qur'an contains stories of Biblical prophets, because these prophets also preached the message of God. Stories are not merely copied, but the oral traditions are referred to in a way that focuses on the examples and teachings that we can learn from them.

'And when it is said to them,'Believe in what Allah has sent down,'they say,we believe in what was sent down to us.'And they disbelieve in that which came after it,while it is the truth confirming what is with them. Surah 1,ayat 91 [verse from Qur'an]

Last edited by Sheyanne; 10-12-2011 at 07:26 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheyanne For This Useful Post:
AuDiE's WiFe (10-18-2011), HesMyForever (10-12-2011), passionpersian (03-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM

WOW!! i didnt know there were that many!! lol. I am muslim and i never think about what people think of Islam like that. But it was a good read!
The Following User Says Thank You to hisbabygurl2014 For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (03-25-2012)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM

With all due respect, I don't think that the intolerance of Islam towards other faiths is any myth. I think it exists. That's my opinion.

Last edited by InSiliconValley; 04-18-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSiliconValley View Post
With all due respect, I don't think that the intolerance of Islam towards other faiths is any myth. I think it exists. That's my opinion.
Islam is not intolerant of other faiths. Some Muslims (being human, and therefore having free will, and making errors) are, unfortunately, though.

"Time as a measurement of love is eternal.
It extends beyond the borders of forever into the depths of infinity.
I love you this and much more."
~~M'love

Finally, happily married to m'love: 1/25/13.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,373 Times in 8,011 Posts

Intolerance is practiced by all religions toward all other religions . . . it's just another way of dividing 'us vs. them'. It's not the religion, it's the fact that it's practiced by humans.
LeBeau (04-19-2013), Onedaycloser13 (04-21-2013), Patty (04-21-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesMyForever View Post
Islam is not intolerant of other faiths. Some Muslims (being human, and therefore having free will, and making errors) are, unfortunately, though.
We disagree. In my opinion Islam, the religion itself, is intolerant. It is not a matter of some errant intolerance by some minor of its adherents. The religion itself doctrinally says that it alone has the truth and must proactively subjugate all to it. In other words, it can not tolerate any other religion.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Intolerance is practiced by all religions toward all other religions . . . it's just another way of dividing 'us vs. them'. It's not the religion, it's the fact that it's practiced by humans.
I think you are conflating exclusivity with intolerance. I definitely do not agree that all religions are intolerant. If only one single religion could tolerate the existence of others then you are incorrect. In addition a religion can be exclusionary and still be tolerant. That is, a religion can declare that it holds to certain creeds as "truth" while not insisting that others must agree with them and tolerate other religions as disagreeing with them.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,373 Times in 8,011 Posts

Some participants of all religions are intolerant/exclusionary. Doesn't matter the religion, there will always be someone who shuns others who are not of their practice and belief.
LeBeau (04-21-2013), Patty (04-21-2013), sidewalker (04-21-2013)