Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection > Marriage & Relationships - The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Marriage & Relationships - The Spiritual Connection This forum is for commentary, concerns, questions, and other matters regarding marriage and relationships as a part of The Spiritual Connection forum.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
The clock talks loudly

Default How to Prepare Yourself for Marriage?

I have been thinking alot about how I can prepare myself mentally, physically, and spiritually for marriage. I am engaged and want to be the best wife I can be for myself and my man. Any advice or ideas?

Last edited by Mustardseed; 04-09-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Yes pray & seek Gods guidence
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM

I am so thankful that you have asked this question in this forum, because I am also engaged. I agree that always keeping God first, praying, and seeking God's guidance are all important things to do. My fiace and I also read books about marriage and discuss them. Right now we are reading Dennis Rainey's Couple's devotional book and it is excellent. Before that we read the five love languages which was a good one too.

Be Blessed
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Carri Marshall

Keep God and your man in your heart and be faithful to both.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 PM

You might even want to take part in the T.I.M.E book. Even if you guys are only engaged...it will give you guys the chance to take a really good look at your relationship, and where God, and money, and children, and family members, fit into the scheme of your lives. Too many people go into marriage without talking about the realities of what they will have to merge. Its two families, two different traditions coming together. And you need to make sure you guys are really on the same page. We were doing this, as engaged, and we really enjoyed it. It was kind of sticky in some places, a little bit uncomfortable in raw honesty, but thats the kind of thing you need to face together before you enter into a lifetime vow.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! I would like to tell you this the one thing that you have to remember is to stay friends you and your husband should be each others best friend and I know that there are going to be people that do not agree but that is okay with me. When you become married you are one unit you are each others strength and with that that is why you must remain friends and talk to each other about everything.
Marriage is not a fairy tale no matter how much in love you are. There are going to be times that you are going to think how am I going to make it to the next day and you take a breath and you make it. Ask people that have been married for 20 or 30 years there are going to be times when you want to strangle him (haha) but that is alright that is something that is part of life. How many times when you where growing up did you fight with your family?? Same thing.
The most important no matter what is going on the last time that you speak to each other or before you go to bed at night always tell each other " I Love You".
Remember why you fell in love with each other and keep that close with all that goes on through this crazy life.
Blessings to you both

The Following User Says Thank You to pjnjclyn For This Useful Post:
Mellymel418 (08-14-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
The clock talks loudly

Thanks for responding guys. I hadn't checked this in awhile. I am looking to getting the T.I.M.E. Book. I think it maybe every helpful. Right now I am reading The Power of a Praying Wife, which is great. I write a prayer down every week and send it to him. I am also reading Love and Respect. It has changed my thinking in ways that I couldn't even imagine before.
Miss_A (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Donation Award 

You asked how you could prepare yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually for marriage.
I can only share my own experience.
Mentally we have talked about everything a couple could talk about, our past, our present, the future. We have talked in depth about our beliefs, values, dreams, goals, desires, etc etc. I have gotten tons of questions about marriage and we have talked about them together. We have a plan for when he comes home. We have agreed on the principles are marriage will be set upon.
Physically I am starting to take better care of myself. Taking vitamins, getting off caffeine, eating better exercising more. I have a chronic condition I am learning to manage better.
Spiritually I found a church and I am comfortable in. We pray together and will attend church together when he comes home. I pray for him, me and for the future and for God to help me be a wonderful wife and for him to be the leader of our home. We have talked at length about that, him being the spiritual leader. I have a lot more "bible knowledge" then him, and so it is a test for me to led him and for him to take the lead when he sees me as more knowedgeable and experienced, but it is what we want.
Already we act like husband and wife. I dont make major decisions without him. He helps me with finances, including sending me money. He doesnt think a husband should be supported by his wife, even in prison.
I wish you luck. my favorite marriage site on line is the marriage bed.com. Check it out.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
The clock talks loudly

Thanks for sharing dalesgirl. I am going to check out that website.