Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Extended Family
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Extended Family For the grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins of inmates.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Default my neice is going away tomorrow!

I already have a son in jail and other loved ones in prison. now my neice will be going away to prison tomorrow. I love that girl like my own and her two beautiful little girls will be missing their momma.
she lived with my family while she attended junior high she has always been a part of my life. i hated to see her move back home but she missed her family, after that she started getting into trouble and well eventually the outcome of it all will be played out tomorrow. she is a very strong young lady and i know that she will be alright i just pray for God to protect her and watch over her up to the day she is home and more. thanks to this forum, alot of us have been second parents to our extended family.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Hi everyone
I am new to this and I am hoping to somehow get caught up with a nephew. He is in Washington Correctional Facility in Comstock NY. I live in Canada and have a hard time reaching him. I finally have his location and have sent a letter. But, I am hoping he might be on here sometime....
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,553 Times in 10,257 Posts

Hi Aunt Cheryl.
PTO isnt a site that inmates can visit or post on, sorry. (dont we all wish!)
Its for ex-inmates and family, friends of those dealing with prison and all that it entails.
A place for information, support and sometimes some fun.(break time)
Im glad you were able to get an address for your nephew. Im sure he will be happy to hear from you.

There is a nap for that

Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 AM

Hi im Christy Im 21 years old and I have a cousin in robertson unit in Abilene Tx. He is doing 25 years. I joined just recently looking for support and to learn how the prison system works.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 AM

Default My cousion was convicted of murder sentence to life in 1996 at 15

Hello my name is dora i just recently found out that my cousion that i was close too growing up was convicted of murder got life in prison at the age of 15. I been wondering what has happend to him where hes been my aunt moved away to texas in dec of 1996 now i know why now i know why she even changed her number and lost contact with my whole fam. I used to ask her when she moved if i can talk to my cousio jaime now i know why he wasnt even there he was convicted on 11/22/1996 and she moved in dec. So the other day he crossed my mind so i decided i am going to find him thinking maybe he has db or something i was really excited i type his name in google search t he n my heart dropped there was a title saying teenage killer next to his name i was like no way but i opend the website and there he was saying what he did when the the crime took place what day he was sentence then there was his date of birth wow i thought it blew me away then i kept searching came across a photo of him thats him so i went to the cdc website looked him up put in his name found out where he is . He is currently in kern valley state prisoni even called the prison got all the info how to write him hes in b6 i wrote the letter going to mail it in the morning. Just hope he doesnt hate me or my fam. Causebhe is loved i want himbto know we are family no matter what hope he writes back
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottn View Post
Welcome to PTO and the Extended Family forum. Please feel free to PM me if I can help you with anything.

Hello,

I am new to this.. Can you please tell me what all I can do here???? I have a cousin that is in the California Men's Colony. Can he see this site as well?? Can we have communication with inmates through this site??

Thank you & God Bless,
Jennifer
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Default hello and an intro

I just read your post about your nephew, lisa. I have not been on prison talk for awhile so I hope I am replying properly. I have a very dear nephew as well who was convicted of felony murder 5 years ago at age 20. his sentence is life without parole (+54 years). I worry about him and have come here, well back here (as I was on a few years ago) hoping to find support.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer. My cousin John is in mcc. I believe it's been a year and a half. I am very glad to see this fourm, I look forward to learning more about what I can do to help my cousin through this time of his life. He's currently waiting to be sentenced, which will happen next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to misskenjr For This Useful Post:
OffenderNoMore (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Red face In for the duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottn View Post
Hi folks....last weekend at the G2G I was telling another member that this forum is just too slow. I think that even though we don't have someone who is our "next of kin" in the system, we still have a family member who is very important and loved there. As aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family we have totally different issues than a wife, husband, b/f, g/f. I know that as I was growing up, my cousins and I were close. My neices and nephews always liked to come to my house because i was their "cool aunt". I have a very special relationship with my extended family in that the dynamics are so different for them. I'm hoping that we as extended family can share these feelings with each other and get the type of support that fits our situation.

I'll give this a go......
My name is Lisa and I'm the Forum Leader for the extended family forum. My nephew Adam was convicted in June for the murder of a young man here in town. He's 21 years old and is sort of my baby. While attending college he lived with me for 2 years. When he was convicted I felt the loss like he was my own child.
He took a plea to avoid the death penalty and ended up with life + 50 years. I have had no one that can really understand how this makes me feel. I came to PTO a year ago for the support I needed with a relationship and now with this. I still have issues with the sentence and will work through them in time.
I am hoping that the members who post in this forum can help one another in these issues that are different in their own way.
Okay, I have no idea how this works, but here goes. My name is Armandine and it's very nice to meet you all - as it were. I live in San Francisco and a month or so ago I learned for the first time that my brother's kid (my niece) has been incarcerated for the last 5 1/2 years in the middle of nowhere, Texas working off a 60 year sentence for a murder she didn't commit. And the news just broke my heart.

The first thing I did was sit down and send her a letter (well, not the first thing - I had to find her first), because I know that the very worst thing about being in the system is the feelings of abandonment that come when your whole world turns it's back on you. So I began right away making three points as clearly as I could:

1: You're not alone anymore - I've got you now and I'm never ever letting you go - you're under my wing now.
2: You're not a bad person - you're a beautiful person with a good heart who's absolutely lovable - I love you.
3: "I've got your back, Jack" and I'll do everything I can to get you out of there as soon as is humanly possible.

We've been corresponding regularly ever since and I reinforce those points as much as I can. Well, that's about it. May the good Lord (for whom all things are possible!) give you and your loved one the strength you need to carry on. We are - all of us - doing The Lord's work by following his command to give comfort to the prisoners.

Last edited by Armandine; 11-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Had to see how to post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Armandine For This Useful Post:
OffenderNoMore (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,712 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armandine View Post
Okay, I have no idea how this works, but here goes. My name is Armandine and it's very nice to meet you all - as it were. I live in San Francisco and a month or so ago I learned for the first time that my brother's kid (my niece) has been incarcerated for the last 5 1/2 years in the middle of nowhere, Texas working off a 60 year sentence for a murder she didn't commit. And the news just broke my heart.

The first thing I did was sit down and send her a letter (well, not the first thing - I had to find her first), because I know that the very worst thing about being in the system is the feelings of abandonment that come when your whole world turns it's back on you. So I began right away making three points as clearly as I could:

1: You're not alone anymore - I've got you now and I'm never ever letting you go - you're under my wing now.
2: You're not a bad person - you're a beautiful person with a good heart who's absolutely lovable - I love you.
3: "I've got your back, Jack" and I'll do everything I can to get you out of there as soon as is humanly possible.

We've been corresponding regularly ever since and I reinforce those points as much as I can. Well, that's about it. May the good Lord (for whom all things are possible!) give you and your loved one the strength you need to carry on. We are - all of us - doing The Lord's work by following his command to give comfort to the prisoners.
Welcome to PTO Armandine! I think it is absolutely wonderful that you have reached out to your niece! I, myself, know what it feels like to be on the other side of the wall and believe that I have been abandoned, that is what it was for me the first time I went down. Since your niece is in TDCJ, you might want to take a look around at the Texas Forum, just click here. I also have family still in the system so, like you, I definitely have their back. I am sorry that you have found your niece in this situation, but I am glad that you have found us. If you have any questions or thoughts, feel free to post and someone will definitely get with you. Be blessed!

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Default New ro PTO

Hello

I am new to this forum and would firstI like to say thank you to those who put this together. Seems like an amazing place for support. I told my neice about it and h. e she signs up soon

This is all still very new to us. My nephew was arrested this past Thursday night/Fiday morning. He has been charged with 7 1st degree felonies. He is guilty and will propably spend the rest of his life in prison. He is 21

My neice and i are the same age. We grew up like sisters. Now she is almost 3 hours away and i couldnt be there with her yesterday while news of what happen was unfoldong. What a helpless feeling. But not as helpless asI know she feels. Her husband is with her, and her oldest son came home. So she is not alone.

This has been a shock for our family. I hate my emotions right now. I am so mad at
him for what he has done to my neice. How do I help her? What do i say when she calls crying, knowing she has lost him forever. What do i say when she says "he wont last in prison"

I will be there with her as much as i can for court dates. But how do i help her now. They both are having a hard time with this. I just dont know how to help.

Any advice will be most appreciated

Last edited by moaunt; 12-07-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,712 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaunt View Post
Hello

I am new to this forum and would firstI like to say thank you to those who put this together. Seems like an amazing place for support. I told my neice about it and h. e she signs up soon

This is all still very new to us. My nephew was arrested this past Thursday night/Fiday morning. He has been charged with 7 1st degree felonies. He is guilty and will propably spend the rest of his life in prison. He is 21

My neice and i are the same age. We grew up like sisters. Now she is almost 3 hours away and i couldnt be there with her yesterday while news of what happen was unfoldong. What a helpless feeling. But not as helpless asI know she feels. Her husband is with her, and her oldest son came home. So she is not alone.

This has been a shock for our family. I hate my emotions right now. I am so mad at
him for what he has done to my neice. How do I help her? What do i say when she calls crying, knowing she has lost him forever. What do i say when she says "he wont last in prison"

I will be there with her as much as i can for court dates. But how do i help her now. They both are having a hard time with this. I just dont know how to help.

Any advice will be most appreciated
Hi. I am sorry for the situation that your family is in. First I want to say welcome to PTO, I know it probably isn't someplace you expected to find yourself, but we are glad you are here. Just take a moment to look around the different forums we have, there is quite a bit of information there.

Having said that, when it comes to your niece, all you can do is be there as morale support. I understand that her sons situation is dire but considering he has just been arrested, it is not known how much time he may get. So, my first piece of advice is to know that he has not been convicted or sentenced so all you can really do is address the present moment when it comes to his mom. Being emotional right now is normal and you will feel a full range of things but just take time to acknowledge those feeling, please don't stuff them. Please remember that right now there is no answers so the best support to give is not necessarily advice but an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on.

I hope this helps some. Be blessed.

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Advice seeker

Default Advice seeker from MA/Boston-

Hello, I'm new! My thanks in advance for this network and your comments--seems like a great starting point.....

I know nearly nothing about the prison system, after only being arrested briefly for a protest. I'm a young professional hospitality industry executive, my wife is a Ph.D. We have known the grip of poverty, family disowning us, the ugliness of family divorce, and many other down's of life. Luckily for us, there are many more up's that keep us focused on the future, and we are thankful for our good karma, and people who love us, unconditionally.

I'll probably post my advice as a new thread as I don't think it fits any others, but I'm looking for advice, as a non-family (more like adopted family) to a soon to be parolee. My wife and I are considering taking in a 21 year old who we have known for nearly 10 years, to allow her to re-start again.

Thanks in advance for your support, advice, encouragement, and suggestions. Peace,