Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Artistic Corner and Photo Gallery > The Ink Well - Tattoos & Body Art
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Ink Well - Tattoos & Body Art A place to discuss and share tattoos, designs, body art themes and other related issues.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Guys wanting their name tattooed on you

Hey ladies...
Just wondering, why do so many guys want their gfs to get their names tattooed on them?! Is my guy the only one that wants this? I told him about the tattoo I'm getting in 2 weeks and he was all "add my name or initials to it" lol.. Thats not happening

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

My husband wants me to get his name and he's gonna get mine. But I haven't made my mind up yet. I guess for them its a symbol of us showing them we're theirs. Its a Guy thing I guess.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM
mrs.padilla

I got my husband's initials and his name on me. And he for some reason trusts me a lot more now!! It must be a guy thing lol

Sent from my Zio using PrisonTalk
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
LaDy YuMYuM LoVes BoNeZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by n016s View Post
Hey ladies...
Just wondering, why do so many guys want their gfs to get their names tattooed on them?! Is my guy the only one that wants this? I told him about the tattoo I'm getting in 2 weeks and he was all "add my name or initials to it" lol.. Thats not happening
yup he wanted me too............................... and im sad to announce... i went threw with it... i got his name on my chest , real little but i still went threw and got it....

BUT he did get my the whole side of his chest thoughg... so i guess it was ok??

Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM
i love him
Donation Award 

We actually both agreed no names. He had his ex-wifes name tattooed and had it covered up. Thats why we are going with "i love him" and "i love her". Got mine tonight and I'm in love with it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to sarbear831 For This Useful Post:
Love.D (09-19-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Yeah i like that idea better. Getting something to represent each other. My boyfriend has his baby mama's name on him and he's getting that covered when he gets out. Must be a guy thing though lol

Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,778 Times in 7,082 Posts

As far as I can tell, they want their names tattoo'd for the same reason that tomcats spray the walls- they're marking their territory.

Nobody should ever get ANY body art unless they are certain that it's what they want.
Not to please a loved one, not to match up with a friend, not for any reason besides personal choice.

A tattoo of a name is not going to ensure the future of a relationship and *not* getting one should not be an issue.

I, personally, will never have the name of any living person inked and it would be a problem for me, a big problem, if my mate were to press me on it.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
Eternal Sunshine (07-14-2012), Love.D (09-19-2012), Patty (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Some guys think that it proves your love. My LO and I are getting tattoos when he is released. Not names but the date.
I heard in a song that people get them cause not even death can separate them. Instead of til death do us part, itís more like eternity.
Romans 12:12
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Living and Learning

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,022 Posts

The break up of a relationship separates two people. Think of the number of people walking around with ex's names on them from a realationship they were so sure was going to last. I agree with LeBeau, why put someone's name on you? Maybe something that is special to the two of you (symbol, even words, etc.), but no names.

Donít make someone a priority in your life when youíre only an option in theirs.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,662 Posts

Tattoos in general mean a lot to my man and he's spent a long time getting the ones he has. His name on me was something we talked a lot about and he drew something up once we agreed on it. The tattoo is beautiful and I love it! I wouldn't have done it if I didn't want to and it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I love tattoos anyways. I think part of it has to do with "marking their territory" like Lebeau suggested. However you should never do it just to make them happy.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 AM
BB ♥'s BB

He has four pertaining to me, including my name. Yes he has talked about wanting me to get his name, but I have told him from the start that I have never been a person to get anyone's name on me (boyfriend, whoever). I think guys do like it to kind of be a reminder for others on the outside that you are with them or that the two of you "belong" to each other. At this point I have talked about compromising by getting a tattoo of something that represents him/our relationship. I feel like I could get more creative with that also. I still am on the fence though. It is no small commitment.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau View Post
As far as I can tell, they want their names tattoo'd for the same reason that tomcats spray the walls- they're marking their territory.

Nobody should ever get ANY body art unless they are certain that it's what they want.
Not to please a loved one, not to match up with a friend, not for any reason besides personal choice.

A tattoo of a name is not going to ensure the future of a relationship and *not* getting one should not be an issue.

I, personally, will never have the name of any living person inked and it would be a problem for me, a big problem, if my mate were to press me on it.
I agree. I had my ex's namr tattooed on me. When we divorced, I began dating a man who did tattoos. I agreed to let him cover it up...and boy did he. I have this hige, ugly tattoo in place of the small heart I had before it. Never again.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhoward79 For This Useful Post:
LeBeau (09-11-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Stand Tall Fade All

This is my opinion...tattooing names, initials on yourself is not a for sure sign to others you are taken. My EX had my name on his throat, back of his neck, across his heart, all over his arms and wrists and guess what? The woman he cheated on me with didn't ask once about the name who I was etc....if anything it is a false sense of security...if it makes you both feel better and its something you both agree on then by all means....I'm just letting you know its not a security blanket...I don't mean to piss anyone off I'm just letting you see the other side of it...now my EX is stuck with my unique name all over his body...his new gf is not to happy...I never asked him to do it he always wanted to surprise me...he ended up bein surprised cuz I don't date cheaters lol....my point is a tattoo doesn't mean security and I learned that the hard way...his name isn't on me thank God!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billysbutton For This Useful Post:
Love.D (09-19-2012), LoveYourself1st (10-14-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 AM
weary
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,334 Times in 763 Posts

It does seem to be a guy thing with the names and I agree with other posters that it seems to be about territory and status. Some people do derive a sense of security from this kind of, well branding really. But as billysbutton has pointed out a marked man is no guarantee of a true man (or woman). Likewise my boy's father has my boys name and dob inked on his arm - hasn't attempted to see his son in 8 years. For some men a public display can be very superficial.

I think if you've been pressurised into it then you are branded. If it was a personal decision you are inked. I'm sure people will continue to do names and regret it into eternity - well we all think that special someone is forever when we are in the thick of it don't we?