Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War > News Articles - The Drug War in North America
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

News Articles - The Drug War in North America News items about the War on Drugs in North America

Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,841 Times in 991 Posts
Default Court Weighs Revisions in Cocaine-Case Sentences

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court heard arguments on Tuesday about an aspect of one of the greatest controversies in American criminal law: the differing treatment of crack and powder cocaine.

Read More
The Following User Says Thank You to Imani For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (07-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM

The revised law just goes to show what arbitrary horse crap that the draconian drug laws are in the first place. All with no victim.

Shame on us US citizens for letting this happen. We all deserve the loss of our freedom for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to probedinfl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
gj07

Let's just hope they can now do this with the other drugs also. There is a letter writing campaign going on under Prison Petitions. The Sentencing Committee will be meeting soon and desiding what issue they will cover in the session in 2013. These are the people that can set this into motion. I hope instead of just talking about it on this board, everyone will get busy and let their views be known to those that can make a difference.

If only a short note--please write a letter if you care.
The Following User Says Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Agreed. I believe we have until July 22nd or 23 rd to make our voices heard. Let's do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj07 View Post
Let's just hope they can now do this with the other drugs also. There is a letter writing campaign going on under Prison Petitions. The Sentencing Committee will be meeting soon and desiding what issue they will cover in the session in 2013. These are the people that can set this into motion. I hope instead of just talking about it on this board, everyone will get busy and let their views be known to those that can make a difference.

If only a short note--please write a letter if you care.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
gj07

Yes, Susan, the time is getting close. I see so many people on here saying they want to do something to help--but where are they now? I see that so few people have even looked at the letter under Petitions.

There are so many of us suffering through all this if you count each family member and friend of the prisoner. Where are all those voices now.
The Following User Says Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM

A close friend of mine has already served 25 years of a LIFE sentence he received for ONE drug charge he got when he was a teenager (17 yrs). This after he worked for the FEDs and Detroit police department as a 14 yr old drug informant. He's in prison because of corrupt and crooked cops and politicians who have been trying to cover their own asses. Free Rick Wershe (aka "white boy rick"). I wish I could post links to pages of interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveyMaj For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 AM

DaveMaj~Stories like this one just piss me off!! I hope and pray your friend gets his sentence reduced! We have so many people in prison for drugs. Yet child molesters, killers, ect. Get LESS time!! Pathetic! My man got 19 years for drug conspiracy with no evidence but he said she said agaisnt him. Gun charges, the guns didn't even have his prints on them!!
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysmylove For This Useful Post:
DaveyMaj (12-11-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmylove View Post
DaveMaj~Stories like this one just piss me off!! I hope and pray your friend gets his sentence reduced! We have so many people in prison for drugs. Yet child molesters, killers, ect. Get LESS time!! Pathetic! My man got 19 years for drug conspiracy with no evidence but he said she said agaisnt him. Gun charges, the guns didn't even have his prints on them!!
Thanks for your words of support. .

I'd love to post some links but I guess I have to wait til I get 25 posts?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM

I tried to look up the consideration you are talking about and it seems to be heavily entwined with military offenders and terrorists. for those that know where to look jump right on it!..either way the system is still unfair for murders and rapists to get such little time while a drug middle man can get almost a life sentence with such little evidence.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Lisa D.

Post Oh boy: New Proponent of the War on Drugs

Meet the quarterback of the new anti-drug movement
Kevin Sabet was a drug control adviser to three presidents and is now marshaling the counterrevolution

Source: Salon
by Alex Seitz-Wald

As a tide of marijuana legalization seems to be sweeping the country, one man has stepped up to stop it and he came to Salon to make his case.

Kevin Sabet, who served in the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy in three administrations, has become one of the country’s most outspoken advocates against legalization. Last month, he joined with former Democratic congressman Patrick Kennedy to form Smart Approaches to Marijuana, which advocates a new “commonsense, third-way approach to marijuana policy.”

The rest of the article can be found here.

Last edited by LifeTraveler; 02-22-2013 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Edited for PTO fair use Policy.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Lisa D.

Post Repercussion of War on Drugs' "Tough on Crime" Approach

Decades On, Stiff Drug Sentence Leaves A Life 'Dismantled'
by BRIAN MANN
NPR

There are roughly half a million people behind bars for nonviolent drug crimes in America. But no one really knows how many people have been sentenced to long prison bids since the laws known as Rockefeller drug laws first passed 40 years ago.

What's clear is that tough sentencing laws, even for low-level drug dealers and addicts, shaped a generation of young men, especially black and Hispanic men.

Men like George Prendes, now 59. Born in Cuba, he now works long hours as a telemarketer, barely making rent on his tiny, cluttered apartment in the Bronx.

The rest of the article can be found here

Last edited by LifeTraveler; 02-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Edited for PTO Fair Use Policy