Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
backlash1 backlash1 is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ca. usa
Posts: 69
Thanks: 69
Thanked 98 Times in 21 Posts
Default Searching for information and direction for help. Federal Appeals!

I have been on a web site where you ask lawyers questions and they respond to you whenever. Well i was told i wouldn't be able to find a pro bono lawyer to pick up my sons case. Hes appeal's lawyer has appeal hes case as far as he can take it in the states court system. He saids now my son has to take it to the federal courts. I found out that they do have federal defenders there. What i'm trying to find out is what we have to do to get to that point. What has to be file now? Where does it have to be file at?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 AM
yourself yourself is offline

Join Date: May 2010
Location: around
Posts: 11,693
Thanks: 4,142
Thanked 20,825 Times in 7,361 Posts

Federal Defenders deal with federal crimes, and appeals from federal crimes. They do not deal with federal issues of State crimes. The attorney you contacted was right: he cannot get appointed counsel in the federal system.

Should you wish to pursue pro bono litigation at the federal level, you need to find a lawyer willing to take on that case with no hope of being reimbursed for the numerous hours spent reviewing the case, preparing the appeal, preparing the rebuttal, and appearing for oral arguments. It's not impossible, but the case needs to be compelling, meaning that there has to be a distinct injustice occurring (that's why attorneys will take on pro bono representation in death penalty cases, and other areas like juvenile LWOP get attention from attorneys), or there needs to be a distinct area of law that's ready to be challenged. The latter would require you to have a good knowledge of the intersection between federal and state law, especially as applied to your son's case.

Your best bet is to put together a good packet of information that will attract an attorney to your case and away from other pro bono representation (meaning, it has to be something that will take an attorney away from death penalty litigation, juvey LWOP, civil commitments, GITMO holds, and other injustices where life is at stake). Then, hit up every law firm and criminal attorney you can.

You may also want to consider piggybacking your case on an issue that the ACLU has taken up. Contact the ACLU to figure out what their hot button issues are, and see if your son's case fits in with that project.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Maushel (07-14-2013), Sarge57 (05-04-2012)


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics