Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Siblings of Inmates
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Siblings of Inmates For brothers and sisters of prisoners

View Poll Results: Biggest obstacles your released sibling will face?
Employment 214 61.67%
Finding living accomodation 44 12.68%
Emotional- low self-worth, depression, dealing with crowds etc 102 29.39%
Reconnecting with family, friends 58 16.71%
Everyday routines-money management,making own decisions etc. 113 32.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Heart broken sister

When my 54 year old brother went to prison Oct of last year I thought his problem would adjusting to a new town and way of life. But NOW his obstacle is going to be ME, ME, and more of ME! He has been in jail before but never prison and its hard on him, on all of us. Lucky for him he has disability so a couple of months after release he is going to be ok. But we are going to share a house in the town I live in and Im the only one who can drive. At times he talks about getting back with his ex and THAT will be over my dead body! (figuratively). Ive told him if he even thinks about it Im going to break his legs! I wouldnt really but Im sure not going help anymore if he does.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 PM

when my sister sheri gets out in 8 yrs most of her family with be deceased. Dad died in April and the rest of them are in poor health.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM

my sister will have to face going back with her gang freinds
Old 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Default i will keep them in my prayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncangels03 View Post
when my sister sheri gets out in 8 yrs most of her family with be deceased. Dad died in April and the rest of them are in poor health.
i will pray for them
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 PM

I voted for finding employment. My Brother was a very hard worker, but he says life in jail has really broken his routine and there is a lot of time doing nothing. It's going to be a big change being busy again all day.

fetchma

Last edited by patchouli; 09-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: removed reference to website; advertising/promoting; see user notes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM

This is going to sound mean...but,my sister will have to find houseing. I can't handle not being able to live my life cause of her mess anymore. ( sorry )

pixy p loves & misses her werewolf

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Default biggest obstacles

My sister will have labels and will be judged by many. I think along with that she will have the challenge of learning to make healthy friends, finding a job, and finding support. Most of my family has abandoned her and a lot of her previous friends were not friends. I'm also afraid that people might take advantage of her because she is a bit below average intelligence. I will try to get good support for her as far as resources.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolfsgirl View Post
This is going to sound mean...but,my sister will have to find houseing. I can't handle not being able to live my life cause of her mess anymore. ( sorry )

pixy p loves & misses her werewolf
sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your life running smoothly
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Default obstacle

My brother has been in for 6 months. All he wants to do is find a job, so that is what I voted for. I'm guessing it's going to be very difficult to find employment; especially in this economy. I don't even know where to look for him.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM

My brother gets out at the end of 2013 (hopefully) after 8 yrs. He was a kid when he went in barely 18. Hes got white power tats all over his face: chin, eye brows, hands, head. My goal is to remove them for him, Im trying to raise $ for a laser tatoo removal machine (they are pricey) while Im getting my RN/BSN, that way when he gets out I can remove them and provide a free service for other excons who may also have tats that will hamper them in progressing. My fear is not employment, my husband can help him, teach him a trade adn get him work, my fear is he has been in at such a young age and for such a long time. He will be almost socially retarded. His growth and experience haulted at 18 though he'll be 26 when he gets out. How will he make good choices(relationships, friends, drugs/alcohol)? he wasnt able to grow as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM View Post
What do you think the hardest things your sibling will have to overcome/deal with once released? (You can vote for more than one.)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM

i feel so horrible for you. i am actually a recovering addict and have dealt with that drug for majority of my life and my marriage. unfortunately it is the devils drug. it is one of the hardest drugs to break free of. i actually had to move away all together. my husband was clean for about three years and went back to it. i wish you the best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztkgirl View Post
My brother's biggest obstacle will be, staying off drugs. Meth is his demon, and I hope that this time around things will be different. His mentality however has not changed. You know how guys say they are going to do things differently when they get out... well he doesnt even do that. He just says that he is who he is and thats that.

He gets released this month. For anyone who has or is living with a loved one on this drug, you know how difficult, dangerous, and stessfull it is.. Wish us well.

Last edited by JLYNNB; 08-22-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 AM

I think that each of those can have a significant affect on my little brother considering he went in at such a young age (19) and he will be getting out when he is 29 years old. He is going to miss the years where your allowed to mess up a little (of course not as bad as he did). The years where you can suck with money, get too many credit cards, fail a few college classes..take a break...come back...fail a few more.., wreck your car, go to bars a party, etc... I'm not saying that everyone does these things but your 20's (for most people) is the first REAL freedom you experience in life. I hate that my brother cut his short before he got to experience how much fun legal fun can be I am currently in college and have a really well thought out 5 year plan (that turned into a year and a semester break...making it more of a 7 year plan haha) so I will be able to help him when he gets out. I know that he isn't going to want to go back and live with my parents so i'm trying desperately to be able to get him his own place (very close to family) when he gets out.'

We talk a ton about what he thinks its going to be like when he gets out. Sometimes he is very upbeat and optimistic and sometimes he says that he wont ever amount to anything. I just always tell him that "on the bright side its too early to tell but the bad side is the bright side."
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
My brother gets out at the end of 2013 (hopefully) after 8 yrs. He was a kid when he went in barely 18. Hes got white power tats all over his face: chin, eye brows, hands, head. My goal is to remove them for him, Im trying to raise $ for a laser tatoo removal machine (they are pricey) while Im getting my RN/BSN, that way when he gets out I can remove them and provide a free service for other excons who may also have tats that will hamper them in progressing. My fear is not employment, my husband can help him, teach him a trade adn get him work, my fear is he has been in at such a young age and for such a long time. He will be almost socially retarded. His growth and experience haulted at 18 though he'll be 26 when he gets out. How will he make good choices(relationships, friends, drugs/alcohol)? he wasnt able to grow as a person.
This really touched my heart. I read your post after I wrote mine but your reasons/obstacles of difficulty that you foresee for your brother are the very same that I see for my own. As I said in my post he will have missed his young-adult-allowed to mistakes phase in life. Not only will he be expected to get his life together when he gets out..any minor indiscretion will seem a billion times more wrong than if he had never went to prison.

Last edited by mcfaciane; 08-24-2012 at 02:03 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 AM

Default To All Little & Big Sisters.

My heart goes out to all of you. I'm 20 and I have a brother (turning 22 this year) who is serving a 9 year sentence. He's my best friend! I think the biggest thing I worry about is that he'll go back to his old ways and go live with his dead beat homies who don't even write him while he's locked up, & get back into drugs.

Not to mention, I'm worried about how he'll react to the slightest bit of conflict. I just don't want the politics in there to reflect on his feelings and actions when he's released. I know he'll never be the same brother I had before, but I really hope he doesn't fill himself full of anger & sadness when he's out.

Sending all my love and prayers to anyone with a sibling, child, or love in there. Keep your faith strong.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
I said mentionally retarded. Is he slow or do u think bc he went in as a young boy he is more subseptable to being "institutionalized"
Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Default To all Texan Enablers,get out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztkgirl View Post
My brother's biggest obstacle will be, staying off drugs. Meth is his demon, and I hope that this time around things will be different. His mentality however has not changed. You know how guys say they are going to do things differently when they get out... well he doesnt even do that. He just says that he is who he is and thats that.

He gets released this month. For anyone who has or is living with a loved one on this drug, you know how difficult, dangerous, and stessfull it is.. Wish us well.
Do not enable,do not let them live with you,let them fall hard and find Revovery,they chose,not you,tell them to find Sober living,and get a life,its always a choice,Jail ,Death,or Recovery......Family Recovery Coach,ANN,Houston,Texas.Get with the PROGRAM!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM

I would say that the double burden of getting out of prison and being very old is what faces my brother. He is serving a 50 year term and was middle-aged when convicted.