Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Default Anxiety is out of control!!

I have had a hard time with my anxiety my entire life. I was prescribed prozac for post-partum depression about a year ago, and took it for 6 months, at which point my doctor took me off because she thought I was ok.

I have been ok, but the last 3 weeks my anxiety is out of control, like to the point where I am getting really sick. I would like to NOT get back on prozac if at all possible. DO you guys have any good ideas for helping this anxiety?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerosMama
I have had a hard time with my anxiety my entire life. I was prescribed prozac for post-partum depression about a year ago, and took it for 6 months, at which point my doctor took me off because she thought I was ok.

I have been ok, but the last 3 weeks my anxiety is out of control, like to the point where I am getting really sick. I would like to NOT get back on prozac if at all possible. DO you guys have any good ideas for helping this anxiety?
Well I'm really into natural methods if you're open to that.....obviously they will not be as strong as prescribed drugs but they could help a little.

Lifestyle changes will help too....sleeping enough, drinking enough water, eating well, etc. certain teas like chamomile tea can help relax you. Homeopathic medicine and acupuncture really helps my anxiety.

I hope I can help somewhat, pm me anytime!

Aloha from far away............ Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerosMama View Post

Meditation and yoga are very beneficial for anxiety. You could also try going to a health food store and asking them what would be good for anxiety. I have known a lot of people that have used different kinds of homeopathic remedies for it and they all work.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I applaud you for trying to stay away from the Prozac.

Peace~

Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Also forgot to mention that coffee increases anxiety if you already have it. I stopped drinking coffee or caffeinated teas a year ago and have noticed a MAJOR improvement.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,912 Posts

Exercise helps.The guys in long term shu have a lot of anxiety and exercise like crazy to relieve the stress.
There are more natural thigs like KavaKava and St.John's Wort that the health food store can suggest (as the poster above me stated).Benadryl can sometimes help with sleep and is not addictive,though it has the reverse effect in too high a dose.
Have you considered a therapist ,it might help to have someone safe to vent to.
Huggs.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid

Well I'm really into natural methods if you're open to that.....obviously they will not be as strong as prescribed drugs but they could help a little.
I'm open to anything. What kind of natural methods would you suggest?

And thanks to the other ladies for the advice!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:

I'm open to anything. What kind of natural methods would you suggest?

And thanks to the other ladies for the advice!
Do you have a whole foods or some kind of health food store closeby?

Magnesium powder helps with sleeping and to calm you down. The brand is called "calm" and you pour hot water in a cup, add a teaspoon of powder, and drink it. I get it from amazon.com

Rescue remedy comes in a dropper or spray form, it's made from the Bach flower and helps relax the nerves.

Melatonin is to help get you on a regular sleep cycle. It's not like benydrl or Tylenol pm, it works with your brain's "time clock" so you fall asleep into a normal routine.

Any kind of herbal tea that doesn't have caffeine is soothing to the body--make sure it's hot and not cold, it doesn't really have the same effect if it's cold.

Also homeopathic medicine comes in little blue vials or sometimes other small bottles and are white little pills you let dissolve under the tongue. If you can't find a health food store closeby I'll find a homeopathic remedy for you online.

Certain essential oils help too, there's a different scent for every aillment.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid

Do you have a whole foods or some kind of health food store closeby?

Magnesium powder helps with sleeping and to calm you down. The brand is called "calm" and you pour hot water in a cup, add a teaspoon of powder, and drink it. I get it from amazon.com

Rescue remedy comes in a dropper or spray form, it's made from the Bach flower and helps relax the nerves.

Melatonin is to help get you on a regular sleep cycle. It's not like benydrl or Tylenol pm, it works with your brain's "time clock" so you fall asleep into a normal routine.

Any kind of herbal tea that doesn't have caffeine is soothing to the body--make sure it's hot and not cold, it doesn't really have the same effect if it's cold.

Also homeopathic medicine comes in little blue vials or sometimes other small bottles and are white little pills you let dissolve under the tongue. If you can't find a health food store closeby I'll find a homeopathic remedy for you online.

Certain essential oils help too, there's a different scent for every aillment.

Yea we do have one here. Thank you so much!!! My grandma tried to give me some melatonin, and I know we naturally create it in our brain but I was a little wary of it.

She also got me "5-HTP Mood enhancer" on the bottle it says its derives from plants, is a spurcw of amino acids, and drug free to boost serotonin. I was also wary to take tthis (I just don't trust anything that's gonna mess with my mood or sleep Haha) have you ever heard of this? Do you think its worth trying?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

HTP is hydroxytryptophan
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
HTP is hydroxytryptophan
Yep I think that's definitely worth trying. You're not supposed to mix that with prescription anti depressants, so make sure you only take the HTP herbs. I used to take these pills called Butterbur for my migraines and it had 5HTP in it as well for brain function--it helps relieve the tension.

Let me know how it goes! Give it some time when you try something out.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM

Thank you for all of your help! I'm going to give it a try and after awhile ill let you know if its helping. Maybe some other women wwill gain benefit from it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,198 Times in 3,762 Posts

I had my first anxiety attack in 2003. I was in my 20's, had just lost my Mother and was going through a horrible time with my ex. I was driving to work and out of the blue I started feeling like I couldn't breathe, my limbs felt numb and I was in a full body shake. I pulled over on the highway and dialed 911 - I thought I was having a stroke or something! I had never had an attack and back then thought anxiety was for crazy people. (just being honest) By the time the ambulance arrived it had pretty much passed and the EMT said that he believed I had suffered a panic attack - I thought HE was crazy! lol.

Over the next couple months I had 2 or 3 more attacks, not as significant as the first but troubling enough that I decided to see someone. A lady I worked with recommended a therapist to me and I saw her for a few months. I was very lucky - she was "alternative treatment" minded and helped me find holistic remedies.

Lavender essential oil was great for me - I used to dab it right under my nose and take deep breaths - it was very effective. Passionflower is another really good oil - you actually rub it on the soles of your feet (don't know why but thats what the homeopath told me to do and it works)

I haven't had the greatest luck with the teas and I've tried a few - they are calming in terms of having something warm, which equates to comfort for most people but I never noticed a lasting effect. Melatonin was the same for me - it never really helped my insomnia (and I am a terrible insomniac) but I know other people that swear by it.

One of the most useful things I learned in therapy was tracking my triggers. She called it the "anxiety continuum" - For example, If I woke up in a nasty or down mood, that would put me at a "3". Add a cup of caffeine and that added another "2", a fight with my ex would pack on another "4" - once you hit 10 - that's likely going to result in a panic attack. The idea is to be aware of the things that are causing anxiety and removing them where possible. I haven't had caffeine (for the most part) in 9 years and like someone else said, it really does help. I cringe when I see people drinking red bull - I call it anxiety in a can

For the most part, I have been able to control mine. I still have the occasional pang, especially when I am travelling. I hate flying but it's an occasional, necessary evil. I have to take a prescription to fly and while I don't love the whole pharmaceutical approach, I suck it up when I have to. At the end of the day, I have to get from point A to point B in one sane piece

I think it's great you are trying to stay off regular medication - explore the holistic options and see what works for you.

PM me any time if you need to vent or want to talk
GuerosMama (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM

Thank you so much for your advice.
I have actually had over 5 panic attacks in the last 6 months, including the day that I posted this. I'm trying the 5-HTP thing, and I'm trying to give it a few weeks to see if it will help. Is it safe to combine use of oils, and the HTP? If you dont know thats ok.
I took an anger management class as a teenager, and we talked about "triggers" in a similar way, and I have noticed my temper is WAY better, but I never really considered it towards my anxiety. I dont think about it during the day- its just all of a sudden, I cant breathe, I'm shaking with tears running down my face, and i'm nauseous and dizzy etc.
Do you have like a concise list of what each trigger is valued at? LIke how many points it is? If so, could you post it here? I know I cant be the only one dealing with this crazy anxiety, and if someone else passes upon while lurking, I hope it would help them.

Thanks again for the advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuerosMama For This Useful Post:
tee.dot.q (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,198 Times in 3,762 Posts

I'm sorry hun, I actually don't have the exact point values (I'm not even sure they would be the same for everyone, yanno?) Certain things bother some folks more than others. Caffeine doesn't negatively impact some people and for me, I feel it running though my veins, literally!

There is a workbook that she recommended and I used back then and I found it very helpful - there were tips about managing triggers. I found it on Amazon, check THIS out. The newer edition is probably even better than the 9 year old model

Good luck sweetie!

Edited to say - I'm not sure about the oils and the HTP - my immediate thought is that they are probably ok used together but I'd run it by the folks at the health food store.

Last edited by tee.dot.q; 05-02-2012 at 10:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to tee.dot.q For This Useful Post:
GuerosMama (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM

A good book my couselor told me to read is.... "When panic attacks" I haven't got it yet...
I too suffer from an Anxiety.. I was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder about 4 yrs ago, and almost everyday is a struggle with feeling symptoms.. I experienced my first attack while driving home from work, shaky, can't breath, symptoms of a heart attack.. All I needed was the nurse to tell me that wasn't a reason to be in the ER.. But how did I know.((rolling my eyes))..at first I would always be in the doctor I think everytime I experienced a new symptom I was already at Kaiser..lol.. I found out what triggers it... I'm scared I'm going to die.. So everytime I felt something I was like.. Wat it it's noty anxiety and this time it's a real heart attack... So I'm learning to tell my head, it's just my anxiety don't panic... I don't drink coffee sometimes I have a drink of coke..
I get my symptoms when I'm driving alone so sometimes I talk to myself like if I was talking to a friend..or I'll sing to the music on the radio, When at home i meditate, rub my shoulders, I talk to my sisters or just walk outside in my yard.. I hv a resistance band I use to stretch.. Ohh I try so many things..
Try some of the oils and hope that works for you, don't be alone, surround yourself with good, caring people.. It's soo hard but you can do it!!
Wish you the best and I'm here if u need someone to talk to
The Following User Says Thank You to elaine86 For This Useful Post:
GuerosMama (05-02-2012)