Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Default Arrest First, Ask Questions Later

Old $50 bill found real, but not before bearer arrested

Quote:
What officers thought was a counterfeit $50 bill turned out to be an old, legitimate bill, but the truth wasn't discovered until a man was mistakenly charged and jailed Friday. ....
Read more below:
http://www.t-g.com/story/1843748.html

In case fellow posters haven't figured it out, I'm not particularly fond of Tennessee.

Last edited by LeBeau; 05-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: added excerpt
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 884 Posts

Poor guy. At least they gave his $50 bill back

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 AM

I wonder, if I get a counterfeit $50 bill and think it's real and try to pay for something with it, do I get arrested? Really, think of how many people this could happen to.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stneotser View Post
I wonder, if I get a counterfeit $50 bill and think it's real and try to pay for something with it, do I get arrested? Really, think of how many people this could happen to.
Yes, I had a friend go through this exact scenario and she ended up with convictions (can't remember what they are exactly).
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM

That is so bogus, they need to take the poor guy out to dinner. Things that happen like this can tramatize, so individuals. Crazy man.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
PTO Research Assistant

Staff Superstar Award RA Training 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,008 Times in 5,498 Posts

It's unfortunately happening everywhere now that we have adopted swat team policing. There is little or no consideration for what they are doing, or for the long term problems caused by arresting honest citizens.

In FL, there was a fire in our town. A 75 year old man was not allowed past the police line to tend to his invalid wife in their house which was in absolutely no danger from the burning house down the street. He told the cop, my wife must have her medicine and walked towards his house. He was arrested for contempt of cop (any charges they contemplated were dropped when the story hit the news) handcuffed too tightly to a wooden chair and kept there for hours as punishment. I'm sure if you were to check his otherwise impeccible lifetime criminal history, it will show that he was arrested for something like resisting without violence. The only violence was committed by the police who declare unofficial martial law whenever they respond to anything, at least in that town.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-04-2012), queenlynch (05-07-2012), stneotser (05-06-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It's unfortunately happening everywhere now that we have adopted swat team policing. There is little or no consideration for what they are doing, or for the long term problems caused by arresting honest citizens.

In FL, there was a fire in our town. A 75 year old man was not allowed past the police line to tend to his invalid wife in their house which was in absolutely no danger from the burning house down the street. He told the cop, my wife must have her medicine and walked towards his house. He was arrested for contempt of cop (any charges they contemplated were dropped when the story hit the news) handcuffed too tightly to a wooden chair and kept there for hours as punishment. I'm sure if you were to check his otherwise impeccible lifetime criminal history, it will show that he was arrested for something like resisting without violence. The only violence was committed by the police who declare unofficial martial law whenever they respond to anything, at least in that town.
I read another news article where a man was arrested for ignoring the firefighters and police and rescuing his dog from his burning home. Heres the link:

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/895816/posts

If our shop was burning and my Oscar was trapped in there, i dont give a damn what anyone has to say i am going in there and getting him! What the f*** is wrong with people!?
I have read plenty of other stories about police STUPIDITY, swat teams raiding the wrong addresses and shooting people and their pets for no reason. If you just do a google search with any of these phrases "swat team raids wrong house", "man wrongfully arrested" or "police shoot wrong person" there are too many articles to count!

And people wonder why i dont trust law enforcement...

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsCetina For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM

It does seems like the established protocol is to arrest first, and find out what's happening later. Usually law enforcement officers don't get in trouble, because they can always use the "resisting arrest" reason to justify any action, if you do so much as talking back to them.

It always struck me as an oxymoron, being arrested only for resisting arrest. It happens everyday, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pome For This Useful Post:
aradia (10-28-2012), fbopnomore (05-21-2012), MrsCetina (05-22-2012)