Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Drug War A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Report on the dealer or just let it go?

Hello everyone. I'm new here and basically joined for some advice. My boyfriend of three years has been a heroin addict for the past year. He has been through treatment and even almost went to jail. I understand that his addiction is a disease, and that isn't really what I am here to talk about. My question is that I know a lot of information on his dealer. Names, locations he would meet them, type of car, all that. One part of me wants to submit this information but I'm afraid of the possible repercussions. My conscious is telling me that knowing this information I should report it, but as I said I don't know if this is just a selfish side of me or the part that was always told to report things such as this or even a combination of the two. I am just confused and would really appreciate anyones thoughts or opinions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Even if you do report this guy And he goes to jail your boyfriend is going to find a way to get drugs. They always do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daves-girl For This Useful Post:
cottage style (06-03-2012), Klewis (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,998 Posts

I agree.An addict will do whatever they need to do in order to get high.
Your bf needs help but he has to be willing to accept it.
You need to seek out some meetings in your area,they will help you a lot!
You can't control an addict or their addiction.It is not your fault and you can't "fix" him or the situation.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that, but in all honesty, that wasn't even a thought when I considered reporting it. I know I have no control over his addiction. So me wanting to report it isn't really even about him. It's more of trying to decide to do "the right thing" or decide if reporting it truly is the right thing. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I'm not trying to stop my bf. That is his battle.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 AM

I've been to all the meetings and support groups in my area and go on a weekly basis. They habe been extremely helpful to me but with no crosstalk allowed i cant really approach them with this converstaion. As I said I know I can't fix him and I'm not trying to. As I said its his battle and his recovery. He has been sober for some time now going to meetings, beings randomly tested, etc. Anyway, as I said I know I can't control his addiction and this is more of a conflict of me wanting to do what I believe is right when someone has information that can effect others, but I just can't decide if it's truly the right thing.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,284 Times in 606 Posts

When my son was 15 a mother of another student in his school was selling him heroine and teaching him how to inject it. I found out by looking at his cell phone text messages.. and she would text him things like "you havent called me that makes me think your talking to cops you need to call me" and my fav was "special today on meth,buy 2 grams of heroine and get a gram of meth for free"

I reported her.. only after I spoke to her and begged her to stop selling to my son ( my son played football with her son and the case ended up being front page news she even was on americas most wanted cuz she bolted)

Would I do it again that way? I am not sure, it didnt help my sons addiction, however she was selling to about 10 highschool kids that I was aware of. It did cause alot of drama for us, and she was caught selling on school property so she did 3 years but the reality is that someone immediatly took her place, in other words all it did was get one dealer locked up and another took her place... if they want the drugs they will find the drugs..
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1204 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new here and basically joined for some advice. My boyfriend of three years has been a heroin addict for the past year. He has been through treatment and even almost went to jail. I understand that his addiction is a disease, and that isn't really what I am here to talk about. My question is that I know a lot of information on his dealer. Names, locations he would meet them, type of car, all that. One part of me wants to submit this information but I'm afraid of the possible repercussions. My conscious is telling me that knowing this information I should report it, but as I said I don't know if this is just a selfish side of me or the part that was always told to report things such as this or even a combination of the two. I am just confused and would really appreciate anyones thoughts or opinions. Thank you.
In my opinion, you should keep your mouth shut. If you nark, you could be putting your life and your LO's in danger.

The dealer will eventually hang themselves...it may take a while, but it will happen. Would he (your b/f) want you to report the dealer? I doubt it, and not because he would not have a connection any longer, but more about lives being in danger.

I would re-think your thoughts on wanting to report him...could be disastrous for you.

Peace~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InmateLover67 For This Useful Post:
DougsCandy (05-08-2012), MrsCetina (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM

You have 2 separate issues.

He will still get drugs.

Would you report a serial rapist?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1204 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I do understand that, but in all honesty, that wasn't even a thought when I considered reporting it. I know I have no control over his addiction. So me wanting to report it isn't really even about him. It's more of trying to decide to do "the right thing" or decide if reporting it truly is the right thing. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I'm not trying to stop my bf. That is his battle.
If it is his battle, then stay out of it....by reporting his supplier, you are in it, whether you want to admit it or not.

Tend to your own knitten as my Mom used to say

Peace~

The Following User Says Thank You to InmateLover67 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 884 Posts

I dont think you should report the dealer. First, its not really any of your business what hes doing, focus on you and your boyfriend staying clean and improving your lives. Second, doing that can have bad consequences. Ask yourself if this is something you would be willing to risk your life over, because there is always that possibility when you start messing with a dealer's business. Also, keep in mind that in Arizona, there is alot of violence and craziness associated with heroin especially, due to the drug cartels around the US/Mexico border. I know from experience.. I used to smoke black tar when i lived in Phoenix and knew people involved with selling it.

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13

Last edited by MrsCetina; 05-08-2012 at 02:28 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsCetina For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (05-31-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Love Dont Run<3

Reporting him is really dangerous. I understand you want him off the streets but eventually EVERY SINGLE drug dealer WILL get caught.

If you report him.. and he goes to jail.. and SOMEHOW he finds out that YOU were the one who snitched on him then he will be out to get you any way possible.

He could harm your husband or have someone on the outside do something to you or your family.

IMO I'd leave it alone and just focus on you & your man.

So on fire & so in love that look in your eyes that I miss so much - remind me, baby, remind me.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripsgirl For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,723 Posts

I could understand you reporting the dealer if you were going to get something positive out of it. Its not like that is going to fix the issue. One dealer off the streets 30 more to go, bout time you turn them all in you will be dead or tortured for snitching. I think you would be helping your man more by trying to get him to move away from the place or in to rehab but I am sure that won't fix the problem right away either because he is an addict. You sound like you want to fix the drug problem like I want to fix the deadbeat daddy problem sometimes we just have to realize the problem is just much bigger then us.

To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Maurice's Queen

One part of me wants to submit this information but I'm afraid of the possible repercussions.

Be afraid..be very afraid. Listen to that part of you
~~They say if you love something, you've got to let it go. And if it comes back, then it means so much more. But if it never does, at least you will know,That it was something you had to go through to grow.~~
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM

I agree with the other ladies..I know I once told my husband that I wish all of the dope dealers would fall off the face of the earth, and he told me it wouldn't help if they did because there would be more to replace them almost immediately. Sadly the only thing that is going to stop them is if the demand for the drug were to stop and thats just not going to happen. One person gets clean and another person trys drugs for the first time. Its a sad thing but i see no end in sight.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM

I would not say anything and just try and move on with your situation because that is what is important, also the dealer didn't want your man to go to jail obv. The dealer is someone's son significant other, brother, father etc. god has a plan and eventually he will stop or get caught without you reporting, you would be causing a lot of things and there are more negatives then positives
The Following User Says Thank You to missingaj7 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-30-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 AM

Drug addiction and Abuse are allowed to grow through silence. If we were a culture of speaking out vrs minding our own business the world may be a different place! Change begins one person at a time.
Be very clear about the risks and your reasons for doing so. Know that your actions will have NO bearing on your bf decision or abilty to stay clean. If you need some more guidence -speak with a local officer/detective without giving any specifics.

FOR ME: I would not do anything , I am not brave enough .. but I wish I was

Last edited by LadeeInWaiting; 05-31-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingaj7 View Post
I would not say anything and just try and move on with your situation because that is what is important, also the dealer didn't want your man to go to jail obv. The dealer is someone's son significant other, brother, father etc. god has a plan and eventually he will stop or get caught without you reporting, you would be causing a lot of things and there are more negatives then positives
WHAT ?? That dealer could give a s&%T less what happened to your man! Any guilt is quickly overriden by thier addition or thier pocket book.. if it was any other way they wouldnt be a dealer any more! My man was busted with stuff sold to him by his best friend (since he was 3 yrs old) . Actually had the nerve to call me to 'make sure' he wasnt going to tell where he got it!!
Yeah dealers are someones child, parent etc .. and the people they are selling to have children, spouses, and parents who are devistated to loose them to prison/jail or death!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Drug addiction is a disease that the addict himself has to grapple with.

It does not "grow" because people mind their own business and it cannot be "cured" by law enforcement. If this heroin addict doesn't get his drugs one place, he will get them another. Our billion dollar drug war and prison industrial complex does a very poor job of curing & elminating drug addiction - after 40 years of trying. I say this as someone who worked in addiction treatment.

As far as a culture of "not minding your own business", I remember a culture of turning in your neighbor in to the authorities, that culture was called "East Germany" in the days of the Stasi.

To the OP, turning in the person who supplies your lo with the drugs is hardly going to stop the flow of heroin into your community, and is going to put you at risk. Think about whether or not it is really worth the risk and think about whether you are really acting out of a selfless desire to see "justice" done or if you're simply acting out of a need for revenge because of your own family member's problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadeeInWaiting View Post
Drug addiction and Abuse are allowed to grow through silence. If we were a culture of speaking out vrs minding our own business the world may be a different place! Change begins one person at a time.
Be very clear about the risks and your reasons for doing so. Know that your actions will have NO bearing on your bf decision or abilty to stay clean. If you need some more guidence -speak with a local officer/detective without giving any specifics.

FOR ME: I would not do anything , I am not brave enough .. but I wish I was
MrsCetina (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Here is the difference between rapists, serial or otherwise.

In a drug transaction, both parties agreed and consented to the transaction.

In a rape transaction, there is no consent and force is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
You have 2 separate issues.

He will still get drugs.

Would you report a serial rapist?

Last edited by SusanWayward; 05-31-2012 at 10:59 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SusanWayward For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Your statement somehow insinuating that people not minding thier own business somehow contributed to "East Germany" - really ?
No addicts do not get cured by any legal means or even by lack of access... but the harder it is to sell, the harder it is to buy, and the fewer young people that ever become addicts in the first place. Dealers dont make addicts, and addicts dont make dealers. .. and I sure in the heck dont think her turning one in dealer is going to stop anyone in her area from getting high - But I do think it is a noble idea , and even if the risks prevent her from doing anything - I commend her for at least wanting to do the right thing !!!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Ok if it were true that dealers cause people to use drugs by selling them, then why do teenagers huff paint or other chemicals found in their parents garages? Why do people lie to doctors to get prescription drugs? Why do people think of every possible way to get high, from smoking all kinds of random plants to eating mushrooms found in the forest? Humans have sought out the pleasure of getting high since the beginning of humanity. The desire to numb ourselves and feel good is always there and always will be regardless of what anyone is selling. If they cant buy it, they will get creative and make it. So do you think chemical manufacturing companies and doctors who prescribe prescription pills are responsible for people choosing to get high as well? This is one of those "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" scenarios and when it comes to humans that desire to get high is what causes people to start making a profit by selling. I really wish people would stop being in denial about drug use and just legalize them all and provide clinics where can people can get their drugs, use them in a safe environment with nurses ready to counteract overdoses and provide people with clean needles. It would reduce the spread of diseases, and deaths from overdoses. I am a former heavy drug user, meth, heroin, coke, mushrooms, ecstacy, all kinds of pills, pot.. I used and sold them all. I really think people need to accept the reality that people will never stop wanting to get high and try different approaches.

&
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsCetina For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (06-05-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadeeInWaiting View Post
Your statement somehow insinuating that people not minding thier own business somehow contributed to "East Germany" - really ?
Yes, really! That was one of the things that happened during that time... People giving their neighbors up to the authorities. Its a really bad sign when people are spying on each other, reporting each other to authorities over petty stuff. Maybe its just me but theres nothing i hate more than busybodies or chismosas as theyre called in spanish.

&
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsCetina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM

I was a very minimal part of the whole event. And I dont think someone wanting to do what she feels is right in any way makes her a chismosas!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 AM

why would any one want to be a snitch?
why would you risk the dealer or his boys coming after you?
cause they can figure out who told on them.
and they will come after you and your man.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Christina~ For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 AM

If you decide to turn in the dealer, DON'T count on the police to keep your name out of it, and DON'T count on the police to keep you safe after they know who snitched.

Martha Washington
The Following User Says Thank You to AML'sMom For This Useful Post: