Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Wives & Girlfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Wives & Girlfriends in Prison For everyone who has a wife, girlfriend, or female partner incarcerated.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Help with my Sweeties with depression...

Any ideas what I can do to help my girlfriend with her depression? She's prone with it her whole life.. And being incarcerated has to be hard enough for a strong minded lady to survive unscaved.. But being fragile? Surely there is something else I can do.. I don't want to see her suffer any more than need be...

I have sent her over 100 letters, cards, pictures, and emails, averaging over two a day.. Almost never miss her calls... She's still in admissions, and getting to a phone is impossible.. Always assuring her how much she means to me, and that I Love her so. We're doing this time together,, and that I'm in this for the long run.. I keeping her informed of the happening at home. Taking care of everything on my side of the wall the best I can. Looking after her kids, seeing that her phone card is full, along with her commissary account, purchased and found a way to get her a new pair of glasses..
I was always able to put a smile on her face when she's at home.. There must be something else I can do?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,014 Times in 7,912 Posts

Look for a good guide to meditation . . . send it to her. It's probably the single best thing you can do.
RLF5400 (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Look for a good guide to meditation . . . send it to her. It's probably the single best thing you can do.
I'm looking right now.. Have been researching for the best one. Can't make up my mind, so I'll send three..
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Can I ask how long you've been with this woman? I sure hope she appreciates all this, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF5400 View Post
Any ideas what I can do to help my girlfriend with her depression? She's prone with it her whole life.. And being incarcerated has to be hard enough for a strong minded lady to survive unscaved.. But being fragile? Surely there is something else I can do.. I don't want to see her suffer any more than need be...

I have sent her over 100 letters, cards, pictures, and emails, averaging over two a day.. Almost never miss her calls... She's still in admissions, and getting to a phone is impossible.. Always assuring her how much she means to me, and that I Love her so. We're doing this time together,, and that I'm in this for the long run.. I keeping her informed of the happening at home. Taking care of everything on my side of the wall the best I can. Looking after her kids, seeing that her phone card is full, along with her commissary account, purchased and found a way to get her a new pair of glasses..
I was always able to put a smile on her face when she's at home.. There must be something else I can do?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlash View Post
Can I ask how long you've been with this woman? I sure hope she appreciates all this, man.
I have known her for just over two years... We have had a major stumbling block at the beginning. That was repaired.. Oh and this last time that took her away from me is a biggie.. Know what?? I'm really disappointed, hurt beyond belief in her,,, But I'm not mad... And from what I understand,, this past one was a direct effect of her depression... That we're working on together.. All in all,, she has been the best thing in my life,, other than my five kids. That are all grown, successful and have moved on...

Don't measure the distance we're apart,,
Only measure our Love..

Last edited by RLF5400; 05-09-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 PM

My girl is going thru trying to win custody of her kid back, contigent upon proving her innocence, of course. But losing her son and her freedom in quick succession has made her incredibly depressed. Making sure that she gets mail and phone calls is definately key, and I also try to include as much handmade stuff as I can; drawings by me or her son, photos, poems, song lyrics, handmade mother's day cards, etc. I think it helps her, so you might want 2 give it a try. Just a thought
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM

It sounds a little to me like you are smothering her. Just be careful and keep your eyes open.

Quote:
I have known her for just over two years... We have had a major stumbling block at the beginning. That was repaired.. Oh and this last time that took her away from me is a biggie.. Know what?? I'm really disappointed, hurt beyond belief in her,,, But I'm not mad... And from what I understand,, this past one was a direct effect of her depression... That we're working on together.. All in all,, she has been the best thing in my life,, other than my five kids. That are all grown, successful and have moved on...

Don't measure the distance we're apart,,
Only measure our Love..

Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

you seem like a very well loving caring guy and she just needs time to adjust, maybe see her with her kids can bring a nice warm smile to her..or just kinda poke at her asking her whats really hurting her hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to deyanna13 For This Useful Post:
RLF5400 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Donation Award 

ive been prone to depression my whole life also. i can say the best thing for her will to keep reminding her how much you love her and how much you care for her. the cards letters and calls will be a big plus. maybe get her to talk to someone there for some depression meds. i cant imagine what shes going through being locked up. just keep reminding her everything will work out and you love her no matter what. go to your visits and everything. support will help!

The Following User Says Thank You to juss me6 For This Useful Post:
RLF5400 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Maurice's Queen

awwww.. from ur post it sounds like u love this woman very very much....lucky her to have a man like you in her corner...

but it sounds to me like ur doing soo much already...think of urself too okay? so she's dealing with alot...u've sent her much much support....she has to know ur there for her... so let everything soak in for her now... her situation..the new surroundings and people..the new treatment (if shes suffering from depression hopefully they recognize it and treat her)...the support she has from you...I think if you give her time she'll piece it all together...in the meantime still send her letters letting her know ur there...Your post asked what else you could do?....I think ur doin enuf
~~They say if you love something, you've got to let it go. And if it comes back, then it means so much more. But if it never does, at least you will know,That it was something you had to go through to grow.~~
The Following User Says Thank You to moonbaby1111 For This Useful Post:
RLF5400 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM

She has seen by the doctors and takes medications for her depression.. But doesn't want to over do it. As some of the ladies there. One was so drugged, that she didn't recognized who visited her that day...

Some days are better than others for Nichole. She tells me that when she wakes up in the morning,, she washes her face, brushes her teeth. Then rushes over to the board to see if she has any mail... She says that, “I never fail her,, that her name is always circled or highlighted since she was admitted.”

One early morning this week she called me,, and was so depressed... Beating up on herself for her actions that put her there... It got kind of messy. And mentioned that her name wasn't highlighted on the mail list that morning.. I told her not to worry,, that she'll have twice as much tomorrow... I'm sure she did,, I send a long letter and a card every day, seven days a week.. And drop them off at the post office... Plus I send her a Jpay email most every day also...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
I sent her two books on meditation from Amazon.. She's been reading them early in the morning before anyone's up. And said they have been helpful.. Thanks for the recommendation..