Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region I Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida - Region I Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex , Holmes CI, Jackson CI, Jefferson CI, Liberty CI, NWFRC, NWFRC Annex, Okaloosa CI, Quincy Annex, Santa Rosa CI, Santa Rosa Annex, Taylor CI, Taylor Annex, Wakulla CI, Wakulla CI Annex, Walton CI

Old 10-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Apalachee Correctional Institution, West Unit Q&A

Apalachee Correctional, Institution, West Unit
o 52 West Unit Drive
Sneads, Florida 32460-4165
o (850) 718-0577
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/101.html
o FAX: (850) 593-6445
o E-Mail: apalacheeci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (850) 718-0713
Directions: From I-10 near Sneads take Exit 158 (SR-286 North) for approximately 7 miles to US-90. Turn right on US-90 and go approximately 2 miles. Turn left off US-90 at West Unit, travel to first road on left on West Unit Drive to Unit.

Please Note: GPS systems and mapping sites such as Mapquest, Bing Maps, or Google Maps often provide incorrect directions to our prison facilities using the physical address. Please use the above directions when traveling to this prison or click the map to the right of this page.

Historical Information: This facility was originally established as the Prison Labor Camp under the Division of Mental Health to grow food and provide labor support for the Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee. In 1959 the facility was incorporated with Apalachee Correctional Institution and was designated as West Unit. It continued to house adult males and the farm program grew until in 1985 the Department of Corrections entered a lease agreement with PRIDE to manage all lands not essential for the operation of the institution (approx. 7000 acres). The facility currently houses adult male inmates.

Total Staff (on 7/12): 174

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units - 8
Cell Housing Units - 1
Room Housing Units - 0
Total Capacity - 915
Other Information:
Population Gender - Male
Adult or Youthful - Adult
Facility Level - 4
Self Contained Housing Units - No
Designated Confinement Space - Yes
Custody Grades - Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades - 1 through 4
Psychological Grades - 1 through 3
Wheelchair Capabilities - No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities - No
Academic Programs:
• Adult Basic Education
• General Educational Development (GED)
• Volunteer Literacy Program
• Pre GED & GED Testing
• Ready to Work Class

Vocational Programs:
• None at this time

Substance Abuse Programs:
• None at this time

Chaplaincy Services:
• Anger Resolution
• Bill Gothard Seminars
• Financial Freedom
• Experiencing God
• Independent Directed Study
• Purpose Driven Life
• Survival Kit
• Religious Education Classes

Institutional Betterment Programs:
• 100 Hour Transition Program
• Alcoholics Anonymous
• Anger Management
• Money Management – Financial Peace
• Small Business Concepts
• Thinking for a Change
• Under Cover Bridge Builders

P.R.I.D.E. Assignments:
•Mattress Factory
•Warehouse – Repacking
•Agricultural Business – Beef Cattle and Hay & Seed Production

Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation - 0 Squads
Public Work Squads - 2 Squads
Interagency Community Service Work Squads - Yes
Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
Attached Images
File Type: gif 101.gif (26.8 KB, 50 views)

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!

Last edited by Anjewel; 02-27-2013 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: update info
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpea For This Useful Post:
StormyLove2 (03-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2005, 02:29 PM

MY HUBBY IS AT APP WEST UNIT,, I GO VISIT EVERY WEEKEND.. ALTHOUGH WE ARE 450 MILES APART.. THEY WILL NOT LET YOU IN TILL AROUND 8:30
I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A CI WHERE YOU ARE TOLD TO SIT OR THAT I COULD NOT SIT NEXT TO MY HUBBY, PHOTOS ARE UNREAL THERE TOO.. A FRIEND OF MINE AND HER BF GOT CALLED DOWN AND GOT INTO TROUBLE BECAUSE THEIR FEET WHERE TOUCHING..NO LIE!! PLEASE READ THE POST ON THE HOLIDAYS AS THIS PLACE DID NOT WANT TO EVEN ADMIT THAT THE INMATES HAD MORE NEW VISTING DAYS!!! THERE IS THIS ONE SERGANT WHO IS A FEMALE AND SHE MAKES VISITING DAYS HELL.. SHE IS SO MEAN AND UGLY AND COMPLAINING DOES NO GOOD .. THERE ARE SOME GREAT CO'S THERE BUT THEY ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN, MOST OF THE CO'S ARE FEMALE AND SEE TO BE VERY RUDE TO THE FEMALE VISTORS, ESP IF YOU ARE PRETTY AND DRESS NICE.. THIS IS NO LIE, ONE DAY I WAS LET IN TO SEE MY HUBBY AND THEN TOLD BY THE SAME CO WHO CHECKED ME IN THAT MY SHIRT WAS TO LOW CUT.. MY REPLY TO HER WAS THAT SHE LET ME IN WITH IT ON. AND SHE DIDNT LIKE THAT SO SHE GOT THE CAPTAIN ON DUTY AND HE PULLED ME AND MY HUBBY ASIDE, AND GOT ON TO ME AND MY HUBBY QUITE CRUELY I MIGHT ADD..WHEN HE WAS DONE, I ASKED IF I COULD ASK HIM A QUESTION AND HE SAID YES, SO MY REPLY TO HIM WAS THIS, IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD TO CHANGE MY SHIRT IN THE BEGINNING WHEN I WAS LET IN THEN I WOULD HAVE BUT I WAS LET THROUGH JUST AS I AM NOW, SO THERE FORTH I FELT AS THOUGH THE OFFICER THAT WAS CHECKING ME IN WAS TO BLAME.. HE LOOKEF AT ME AND ASK ME DID I HAVE ANOTHER SHIRT OVER THE ONE I HAD ON AND I SAID NO... HE ASK THE CO WHO HAD WENT AND GOTTEN HIM, WHO CHECKED ME IN AND SHE HAD TO SWOLLOW HER PRIDE AND SAY SHE DID, WELL AS YOU CAN GUESS , SHE GOT INTO ALOT OF TROUBLE BUT THATS HOW THEY ARE THERE, I GUESS SHE THOUGHT THAT I WOULDNT DEFEND MYSELF BECAUSE MY HUBBY IS THERE, MY HUBBY AND I DONT LET THAT BOTHER US, IF WE ARE RIGHT WE WILL STAND UP IN THE PAINT, SO ALL I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT THE PLACE IS THAT IT IS A PLACE WHERE THE RULES CHANGE EVERYTIME YOU GO!!
YOU ARE WELCOME TO CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH THANKS

Old 09-07-2006, 02:13 PM

Hi, I have a man there . He wont get to come home till 2009.. I have sent in my visitation papers , It's been almost a month maybe more and I still have not heard anything . Do you know how long it takes? . I am also kinda far from there as well , Do you stay somewhere overnight? in letters my guy has told me that u were alloud to hug , kiss .. But I think from what I read that is not soo? I am so confused about all this .well any info is more than I got now .. thanks ...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 PM
3 mnths and back again :(

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzbaby
Hi, I have a man there . He wont get to come home till 2009.. I have sent in my visitation papers , It's been almost a month maybe more and I still have not heard anything . Do you know how long it takes? . I am also kinda far from there as well , Do you stay somewhere overnight? in letters my guy has told me that u were alloud to hug , kiss .. But I think from what I read that is not soo? I am so confused about all this .well any info is more than I got now .. thanks ...
From what I've read on here you get one kiss and one hug at the beginning of the visit and one hug and one kiss at the end of the visit.
There's a small fishing lodge/hotel in Marianna that is fairly close to Sneads, I believe it's called the Seminole Lodge & Marina, and I understand there is only a Dairy Queen in Sneads and maybe a gas station . So far that's the only info I can find out about ACI West & Sneads. Hope it helps!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Default visiting at West unit

Can anyone give me as much specifics about visiting here. It will be the first visit for my family this weekend and I will be bringing children. I am so nervous about it all. Any special ideas about dress and etc for me and what time to arrive would be appreciated.

Also, we will be coming from South Florida, do you think we should stay at Quincy or keep driving to Marianna? And, one more question, when you visit do you normally do both days or just the one?
My kids have off next Monday of school, and we just got approved so I was thinking it would be a good weekend, unless, with kids, the lines are really long?
Thanks so much!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Anthony's love

Hi KChild...

Congrats on your first visit! I am assuming you got approved already from ACI. I would suggest staying in Marianna....It is much closer to Sneads than Quincy. My hun is at ACI East but I am sure it is pretty much the basic at West. You can visit both saturday and sunday. I believe you can be there at 8 am to check in and visits starts at 8 30- 9 am promptly. Dress conservative, no skin showing, no white plain t shirts. Visits are usually consisting of few peoples in the room since the prison is far out and many love ones live far so the line should not be too long either way. You can only bring a clear pouch with up to $50 dollars each visit and each person can carry up to $50 as well..I usually get them all in 1 dollar bills to make it easier in case they didnt have change and such. You can only bring in 1 car key and alarm remote if you have one. Also being your first visit, I would suggest to bring your drivers license to show verification for that 1st day visit and I am not sure but possibly birth certificates of your children. I would call the prison to make sure on that. They will give you a yellow ID card that you must always bring in with you for verification that it is you every visit. I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask more questions! Hope all is well!!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 PM

Aprila: Thanks for all the info. We did stay in Marianna. I dress conservatively to begin with but was quite prepared for what I encoutered. I had on a v-neck (high not too low) and had to fasten it. My 14 year old son needed a photo id and he didn't have his school id yet so I took his passport. I think they thought I was crazy, told me to go to Walmart and get an ID card! My dauhter just needed her birth certificate. We did visit both days. It is just a long drive for us. Checking in for the first time took about an hour for us. The next day was alot quicker. Boy, it is definitely in the middle of nowhere though!!! Thanks for all the advice and help!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Hello My mother and I are going to see my brother for the first time next weekend.We need a good clean and safe place to stay overnight.We are coming from North Florida area.She is older and can't make ride there and back,Any good ideals let me know.I see some are driving on into Marianna is this the best place?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Apalachee Correctional Institution, West Unit Sorry we are going to west unit
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM

My son was in the east unit and now has been moved to the west unit. I was wondering if we have to fill out any or all the papers again? My son says no. I was really use to the east unit, had no problems there. Never got turned away, and the CO's were all pretty nice. I just hope the west unit it the same.

It will be quite a while before we are able to head up that way. My H/his dad has had open heart surgery, and he can't drive long distance, or travel yet. I'm hoping we can get up there around Halloween, or at least Thanksgiving. He has called, but I miss him so much. I also notice he has some gain time. Hope you all have a great September.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

My husband was sent to the East Unit last Friday and I've sent in my visiting application. He was told today he would probably be sent over to the West Unit soon due to his custody and willingness to work. He said I don't have to resend my application as the Classification Officers are at the East Unit (it's like a quarter of a mile away). Also even if he was transferred to another institution entirely once you are approved, you are approved.

Apparently there is more opportunity to work at the West Unit so they're busier. Also the atmosphere is supposedly more laid back. We'll see. I just want to see my husband.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,475 Times in 3,665 Posts

Kevs mom, you don't have to do anything to visit him at the other unit. Since you've already been approved you will be able to visit him no matter where he is moved within the state.

I hope your husband is doing well after his surgery. My dad had bypass surgery a couple of years (very scary situation) so I know what you are going through. If they gave him a pillow after surgery, make sure he uses it all the time. It became my dad's new best friend during that time.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks Wifeofmike and bensgirl. I just hope we can get up there soon. I miss him so much. My son says he doesn't like it, but he does keeps himself busy, and he is working.

My H had his surgery on Aug. 6th. It was a bit scary for me, but he is doing pretty good now. He does use his red heart pillow the hospital gave him, helps a lot. He's able to drive short distances, but that long drive up the panhandle is really too much. My son does understand. We could still go up with our other son, but the dr. doesn't want him traveling to far just yet.

thanks again for your concerns. take care and hugs.

kevs mom
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Apalachee West Unit visitation for a first time

I was expecting a waiting line, but to my surpise-only 2 people showed up at 9 AM( it was 7 families total at 11AM) . The staff was very friendly and professional. Everything was smooth and nice. It was very cold in the visiting room, so if you are a coldy like me - dress warm. They don`t have a big ouside area- just few picknic tables as a small smoking area. The canteen is decent, prices are OK. You can buy a photo-$ 2,per my observation - you can hug and pose with no problems. I was able to hold hands with my hubby and ocasionally touch and pet him. He was kissing my hands and wiping my crying face with no problems. Overall, I had a nice, trouble free visitation
The Following User Says Thank You to lenusya1964 For This Useful Post:
StormyLove2 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Hi I looked on the DOC web site; my brother is at
APALACHEE WEST UNITCurrent Custody: COMMUNITY

But I cant find the adress to write him. Any help is much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenusya1964 View Post
I was expecting a waiting line, but to my surpise-only 2 people showed up at 9 AM( it was 7 families total at 11AM) . The staff was very friendly and professional. Everything was smooth and nice. It was very cold in the visiting room, so if you are a coldy like me - dress warm. They don`t have a big ouside area- just few picknic tables as a small smoking area. The canteen is decent, prices are OK. You can buy a photo-$ 2,per my observation - you can hug and pose with no problems. I was able to hold hands with my hubby and ocasionally touch and pet him. He was kissing my hands and wiping my crying face with no problems. Overall, I had a nice, trouble free visitation
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

NAME. DOC #. Apalachee CI West Unit. 52 West Unit Drive Sneads FL 33460
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM

FYI: Apalachee West Unit CI is on lockdown due to food poisoning
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Interesting story behind that quarantine. On Wednesday night (7/25/12), ACI West Unit inmates were served hot dogs, TVP chili, spiral noodles and squash. By four in the morning the bathrooms in multiple dorms were filled with inmates with explosive diarrhea, nausea, clamminess, and lightheadedness. By Thursday morning, some 125 inmates reported to sick call only to be turned back to their dorms. Medical staff did what they could. Later, nurses came by the bunks with pills to help with the diarrhea and some inmates were asked to do stool cards for testing. Visits were canceled and inmates were told that it was all a virus. (Obviously nonsense -- this was food poisoning.) Meanwhile, the admin and food service people descended on the kitchen and loaded up all the outdated food, cookware that didn't meet code, the filthy boots the food workers have to share, and other sources of possible food poisoning. They collected everything in three big metal trash carts that were then rolled out the north gate after dark. I don't know if the health department was ever called in. The kitchen is said to be filthy (we've heard that for a long time), and that vegetables aren't properly cleaned before serving, and the food is well past its serving prime. The incident quacks of food poisoning and the reaction by staff is indeed interesting.