Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee4candle View Post
My husband has been locked up in Kettle Morriane Prison since July of 2011. I used to make the trip every week til it got to be too much on me financially. I can say I feel helpless at times. I put money on the phone just to hear his voice, and I have spend every one of our anniversaries away from him since he has been locked up. The visit up there can be beautiful during the spring, however the roads get exceptionally slick in the winter. If you need any advice, please feel free to ask. Been at this now for 3 years.
Thank you so much, tee4candle, for the offer of any advice, it means a lot. And I'm so sorry that you aren't able to visit as often as you'd like or to spend your anniversaries together, that must be so hard. As it's about 2 hours away from me, I can certainly understand the financial strain it can cause. I can usually manage a visit once every 3 weeks (2 if I'm lucky), but as I don't have the means to go there as often as I'd like, the feeling of helplessness can be frustrating. I was approved to be on his visitors list and started going to see him when the weather was getting better, but as it's so far away from everything, it does make me worried to think what the winter months will be like. For the time being, I'll just enjoy the fact that the weather can only get nicer from here, and getting to see all the nature out there is really nice right now. Hang in there, and even though you don't get to see him as often as you'd like, I'm sure it makes the times you DO get to go see him all the sweeter.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Hey I'm Crystal my man is in RCI has two more years I live in Milwaukee,WI I'm a army reservist and a full time student
Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Default newbie here

Hi everyone. My brother was just transferred out of DACC to possibly Oshkosh (not sure why?) and it's possible he requested it. Any advice? We are not familiar with how any of this works and if he'd been able to finish DACC, he'd have been out in March. Now it will be October.

We don't have the full story and only found out about the transfer after mail was returned to me.

Is Oshkosh a scary place? My brother has never been in prison before. We are afraid for him.

Any advice?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingVixy View Post
Thank you so much, tee4candle, for the offer of any advice, it means a lot. And I'm so sorry that you aren't able to visit as often as you'd like or to spend your anniversaries together, that must be so hard. As it's about 2 hours away from me, I can certainly understand the financial strain it can cause. I can usually manage a visit once every 3 weeks (2 if I'm lucky), but as I don't have the means to go there as often as I'd like, the feeling of helplessness can be frustrating. I was approved to be on his visitors list and started going to see him when the weather was getting better, but as it's so far away from everything, it does make me worried to think what the winter months will be like. For the time being, I'll just enjoy the fact that the weather can only get nicer from here, and getting to see all the nature out there is really nice right now. Hang in there, and even though you don't get to see him as often as you'd like, I'm sure it makes the times you DO get to go see him all the sweeter.

Is your husband still at KMCI
Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee4candle View Post
My husband has been locked up in Kettle Morriane Prison since July of 2011. I used to make the trip every week til it got to be too much on me financially. I can say I feel helpless at times. I put money on the phone just to hear his voice, and I have spend every one of our anniversaries away from him since he has been locked up. The visit up there can be beautiful during the spring, however the roads get exceptionally slick in the winter. If you need any advice, please feel free to ask. Been at this now for 3 years.
Is your hubby still at KMCI
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Hello All:

My friend is at RCI

Last edited by bluvsu; 03-16-2016 at 10:23 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM

My husband is awaiting transfer to Dodge County for the intake/assessment and ultimate placing process. From what I've gathered, it will be 5 days before he is allowed to call me, and can make 3 phone calls a week after that.. ?? Everything I have gathered in terms of information, has been contradicting, or unsure, etc. I'm so overwhelmed, and devastated - as is he. Please God, HELP US. I can't possibly imagine the next 12 mnths without my husband, and our boys without their dad. I want to do any and everything I possibly can to help him, and be there for him - every, single step of the way. Please, please help. I'm trying to obtain as much info as I can about the entire process from this point on - with as much detail as possible. I'm doing my best for our kids, but I am severely struggling. The man I have spent every moment with for the last 7 years, was taken from me - and suddenly. When he began crying, and getting cuffed - my God. He has been strong for us, but I don't think he's handling it as well as he leads on. Please help, as much as you can. I can't possibly explain the appreciation I have if you do/can help. Is there any way to get some sort of idea of which prison(s) he may get sent to? We are located in Wild Rose, WI. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCody_2011 View Post
My husband is awaiting transfer to Dodge County for the intake/assessment and ultimate placing process. From what I've gathered, it will be 5 days before he is allowed to call me, and can make 3 phone calls a week after that.. ?? Everything I have gathered in terms of information, has been contradicting, or unsure, etc. I'm so overwhelmed, and devastated - as is he. Please God, HELP US. I can't possibly imagine the next 12 mnths without my husband, and our boys without their dad. I want to do any and everything I possibly can to help him, and be there for him - every, single step of the way. Please, please help. I'm trying to obtain as much info as I can about the entire process from this point on - with as much detail as possible. I'm doing my best for our kids, but I am severely struggling. The man I have spent every moment with for the last 7 years, was taken from me - and suddenly. When he began crying, and getting cuffed - my God. He has been strong for us, but I don't think he's handling it as well as he leads on. Please help, as much as you can. I can't possibly explain the appreciation I have if you do/can help. Is there any way to get some sort of idea of which prison(s) he may get sent to? We are located in Wild Rose, WI. Thanks in advance!
First of all, take a deep breath - you are going to make it through this and so is your husband. I know it may not seem like it right now, but things will get better. His time at county awaiting transfer to Dodge and then his time at Dodge awaiting transfer to his "home" facility are the most difficult because it is a time of uncertainty. Once he is at his "home" facility he will settle into a routine and things will be easier for all of you.

It will take 3-5 days (it all depends upon when he is transferred from the county jail to Dodge) for him to get through the initial intake and to be able to call you. As soon as he has a DOC id number be sure you setup a phone account. All Wisconsin State Prisons use Securus for phone calls. You can check the DOC website for his id number. During his time at Dodge he will go through a medical, dental, eye and psychological evaluation. He will be assigned a case worker who will go over any required programs and also ask him his top three choices for facility placement. His charge will determine the level of facility he can go to - minimum, medium, max or super max. Obviously if he only has one year to serve he didn't do anything that warrants his placement in a max or super max facility. I am assuming that you are going to want to visit so you may want to look at the facilities closet to your home. Keep in mind that there are no guarantees he will be placed in any of the facilities he lists, but it can and does happen.

Once your husband is through the initial intake time (3-5 days on average) at Dodge, he will be able to sign up for phone calls, visit the library, sign up for Bible study, participate in rec, etc... I would strongly suggest that he do as much as possible - it helps the time pass more quickly.

While he awaits a transfer to his "home" facility, he will either remain in a cell (typically a two person arrangement - sometimes more depending upon crowding) or he could be moved to the barracks. The barracks are considered a privilege. It's basically a large open room lined with bunk beds. There is a day room with a tv and phones, bathrooms and showers. The nice thing about the barracks is that there is no limit on the number of phone calls he can make and he can shower whenever the showers are open. Plus, there is a tv in the day room which helps to pass the time.

If he plans on purchasing anything through canteen (he will want to purchase toiletries and can also purchase food items to supplement meals) you should put money on his account ASAP. You can find out the details on how to do this on the DOC page for Dodge.

As soon as he is transferred to Dodge - again you can watch the DOC website to see when he shows up on their page - you can start writing him letters. Mail is a big deal for them! I am not sure how old your boys are, but have them draw him pictures or write him letters too. It will be important for him and for all of you to keep him as connected as possible to what is going on at home. If he likes to do crossword or other kinds of puzzles you can print them off online and mail them to him. You cannot mail him anything you cut out of a magazine or newspaper, but you can print things from online or photocopy things from the newspaper or magazines and send them to him.

Again, this is the most difficult time in the process. It will get better!

If you plan on visiting be sure to have him mail you the visitor forms ASAP. He will receive them during his orientation at Dodge. They tend to process them fairly quickly at Dodge, so even if you don't plan on visiting him there - get approved right away because that approval will be in place for any facility.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
MirSpar (03-13-2018), MKE-gal-waiting (03-28-2018), Sarianna (03-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Hi my name is Jennifer. This is my third time having somebody in the system. Now it's my boyfriend. I don't even know where he is, or if he's even in?! He's had a lengthy record due to drug use. He just got released from County & Huber. He received a new charge because of me. Our relationship is still new. So I too am fearful that the longer he's there he's going to resent me. This new charge is for posession of paraphernalia. As a result they've sentenced hin to an inpatient treatment facility that lasts a good 3 plus months(90 days). I'm in Waukesha. He says the facility is 2 hours north of here. Does anybody know where the court system would send him?! The only one I can think of is DACC. Also needs to be where the facility is in association/affiliation with the court?! As he has to ne back here on Waukesha for a hearing. He just left today(May 9th). Was released from Huber on the 16th of April(my Birthday)& May 6th(Monday)had initial appearance on new/latest charge. BTW- This is NOT a transfer. He was released from Huber & appeared in court on his own. No incarceration. As a result, this is a direct placement. I do not work & am on Disability. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Last edited by jenben7581; 05-09-2019 at 11:58 AM..
Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenben7581 View Post
Hi my name is Jennifer. This is my third time having somebody in the system. Now it's my boyfriend. I don't even know where he is, or if he's even in?! He's had a lengthy record due to drug use. He just got released from County & Huber. He received a new charge because of me. Our relationship is still new. So I too am fearful that the longer he's there he's going to resent me. This new charge is for posession of paraphernalia. As a result they've sentenced hin to an inpatient treatment facility that lasts a good 3 plus months(90 days). I'm in Waukesha. He says the facility is 2 hours north of here. Does anybody know where the court system would send him?! The only one I can think of is DACC. Also needs to be where the facility is in association/affiliation with the court?! As he has to ne back here on Waukesha for a hearing. He just left today(May 9th). Was released from Huber on the 16th of April(my Birthday)& May 6th(Monday)had initial appearance on new/latest charge. BTW- This is NOT a transfer. He was released from Huber & appeared in court on his own. No incarceration. As a result, this is a direct placement. I do not work & am on Disability. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
He is most likely at the Drug Abuse Correctional Center that is located just north of Oshkosh .
Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcloser View Post
He is most likely at the Drug Abuse Correctional Center that is located just north of Oshkosh .
I can't remember what the rules for DACC are. It's been awhile. He said no phone calls for 30 days?! Is this correct?!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I can't remember what the rules for DACC are. It's been awhile. He said no phone calls for 30 days?! Is this correct?!
Hello?! Can anybody help me out?!
Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,043 Posts

Quote:
I can't answer your question for that specifically, but various loved ones of mine who entered rehab voluntarily (not court mandated) were not allowed to call out or have anyone visit for the first month.

The reason is that the person needs to figure out which people are enabling the drug use and which people are truly trying to help, and also to detox without worries of someone hearing how bad the detox is affecting them. The first 30 days are critical for success.

Again, this is not for your specific situation, but I've seen it at other places.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the procedures/rules at that facility. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't allowed phone calls for an initial period of time while they are getting settled into their program/routine. In the meantime, you can certainly write to him. I know it's not the same as a phone call, but it gives you the opportunity to feel somewhat connected during the time you can't talk on the phone.