Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Illinois should be posted here.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 AM

Default Parole Agent sabotaging parole site (home plan)??

Good morning everyone,

We found a parole site. It was approved but put on a temporary denial until a landline was put it. The Agent called me and told me that once the landline was in...to call Field Services at the facility my LO is in and resubmit the address. Then he would call me so that we can meet at the apartment to verify that the landline is working.

The next day, without us knowing, the Agent went to the apartment to see if the landline was in. He contacted the Owner to meet up with him and to get in the apartment. The Owner asked more personal questions about his S/O situation. The agent gave him details of what happened. The Owner changed his mind. Now we are on square 1 trying to find an apartment.

Is this legal? Can the Agent do that and purposely sabotage the parole site? Then he reported that the apartment was denied because the landline was not in. Mind you, he gave me instructions but turned around and did his own thing.

I will be contacting the commander over the Agent to request a new Agent. This is the second apartment he sabotaged. First time was a different situation. Loved one should have been out on Parole last month.

I just wanted some of your thoughts.
Thanks for reading,
Papo's Lady
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Donation Award 

I would recommend that you be upfront with any potential landlord about RSO supervision.

The agent is well within his rights to advise the landlord that the address will be listed on the State Police Website and that he will be visiting the parolee several times per month at the residence.

Parole Agents in Illinois area assigned to geographic areas based on ZIP Code or County and Parole Commanders normally will not reassign an agent to cross over and supervise someone in a different agents assigned area. There are always extenuating circumstances but a landlord who changes his mind about renting an apartment to a RSO would not be one of those circumstances.

Illinois has specially trained Sex Offender Supervision Unit of agents that completes all the placements, which further reduces your chances of having a different agent assigned.

Sorry for the bad news....

Take Care Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-04-2017), patchouli (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Thanked 2,215 Times in 764 Posts

I don’t know if that’s really sabotage... the owner of the property has the right to know the truth before agreeing to rent to you and it sounds like you weren’t entirely honest or forthcoming with the landlord. It’s unfortunate that you are back to looking for an apartment but I’m not sure the parole agent is to blame here.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,974 Posts

This isnt sabotage as others have said the property owner has to right to know the situation before entering into a rental agreement. You need to be honest about your situation and then your next appartment may not fall through.You cannot circumvent and then accuse others when you are found out.
I hope you find a suitable place.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
I would recommend that you be upfront with any potential landlord about RSO supervision.

The agent is well within his rights to advise the landlord that the address will be listed on the State Police Website and that he will be visiting the parolee several times per month at the residence.

Parole Agents in Illinois area assigned to geographic areas based on ZIP Code or County and Parole Commanders normally will not reassign an agent to cross over and supervise someone in a different agents assigned area. There are always extenuating circumstances but a landlord who changes his mind about renting an apartment to a RSO would not be one of those circumstances.

Illinois has specially trained Sex Offender Supervision Unit of agents that completes all the placements, which further reduces your chances of having a different agent assigned.

Sorry for the bad news....

Take Care Chris
Thanks for responding. Please note that YES we were upfront with the Owner about him being a RSO. Is it ok for the Agent to give him the details is my question.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I donít know if thatís really sabotage... the owner of the property has the right to know the truth before agreeing to rent to you and it sounds like you werenít entirely honest or forthcoming with the landlord. Itís unfortunate that you are back to looking for an apartment but Iím not sure the parole agent is to blame here.
Thank you for responding. Yes the owner was told the truth about him having to be a RSO. The question is...is it legal for the Agent to give specific details of him being a RSO.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
This isnt sabotage as others have said the property owner has to right to know the situation before entering into a rental agreement. You need to be honest about your situation and then your next appartment may not fall through.You cannot circumvent and then accuse others when you are found out.
I hope you find a suitable place.
Thank you for responding. Please note that YES the owner was told that he is a RSO..or will be once he is out. The problem we have is that the Agent gave the owner the details. We don't think that was ok.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:25 AM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,099 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paposlady View Post
This is the second apartment he sabotaged. First time was a different situation. Loved one should have been out on Parole last month.
OP, reading your prior posts, is it true your LO only has one year left to go before he totally maxes out his sentence?

If parole is giving you too much grief, he could always just decline parole and top his time out and be released off paper next year instead. Then parole wouldn't be able to to interfere and screw with you guys any more.

He could also live at home with you, with your kids, without getting into any trouble and being sent back to prison since parole wouldn't be able to prevent him from being around kids any more.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 11-05-2017 at 05:31 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
CookieBaker (11-07-2017), patchouli (11-05-2017), xolady (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Thanked 9,862 Times in 5,542 Posts

I will defer to Chris on Illinois practice, but in most agencies, it is NOT a violation of Rule OR Law for a PO to answer questions from a landlord about the nature of offense. And, since the registry generally shows basics, to include the age and sex of the victim(s), it isn't as though the landlord didn't have easy access once IN the property (after which they may well have found/manufactured a reason to evict).
Old 11-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,168 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for responding. Please note that YES the owner was told that he is a RSO..or will be once he is out. The problem we have is that the Agent gave the owner the details. We don't think that was ok.
Aren't these details public record??? You might want to read up on the laws before you sabotage his parole.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
OP, reading your prior posts, is it true your LO only has one year left to go before he totally maxes out his sentence?

If parole is giving you too much grief, he could always just decline parole and top his time out and be released off paper next year instead. Then parole wouldn't be able to to interfere and screw with you guys any more.

He could also live at home with you, with your kids, without getting into any trouble and being sent back to prison since parole wouldn't be able to prevent him from being around kids any more.
Hi Nickle Timer, thanks for responding. Yes May 2018 will be 4 years.
(He is to do 6 months parole.) He doesn't want to do parole inside. Would you happen to know that even if his projected discharge date says 3 years to life-to be determined...Can he move back in with me and the kids after parole? This confuses me and I still have so much to learn.

Again thank you so much and thanks for taking the time to read my prior posts too!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
I will defer to Chris on Illinois practice, but in most agencies, it is NOT a violation of Rule OR Law for a PO to answer questions from a landlord about the nature of offense. And, since the registry generally shows basics, to include the age and sex of the victim(s), it isn't as though the landlord didn't have easy access once IN the property (after which they may well have found/manufactured a reason to evict).
Hi CenTexLyn and thank you for responding.
Thank you, I am learning so much. I thought about this earlier when someone was telling me more or less the same thing. A couple of months ago I was looking on the website that shows a radius of RSO that live in my area. IT DID show what they did and the age and sex of the victims.
Thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Aren't these details public record??? You might want to read up on the laws before you sabotage his parole.
Hi xolady, I am learning and still have a whole lot to learn! Thought the Agent aka parole officer was sabotaging his parole host site.
Thanks,
Paposlady
Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 AM

Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,168 Posts

Quote:
Hi xolady, I am learning and still have a whole lot to learn! Thought the Agent aka parole officer was sabotaging his parole host site.
Thanks,
Paposlady
Yes you do! But seriously you need to give full disclosure to any potential landlord. Especially if its an apartment complex where others reside. I don't mean to sound negative it isn't that but if you are trying to get him in a apartment complex the landlord has X amount of tenants to consider when approving applicants, by failing to disclose some stuff he's taking on a liability he might not be willing to if he knows. I'm sure you weren't intentionally being deceitful, but omitting certain facts is generally viewed that way. I know just how hard it is to find an apartment. I can't even imagine the challanges you are facing. Good luck!!
Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Donation Award 

Paposlady,
I responded to another post and have been away from the computer for a couple weeks.
The agent would not be allowed to give specifics as name of victim but age of victim and crime convicted of is public knowledge. The agent would also be expected to inform the landlord of supervision requirements. The reason is that many RSO's were immediately returned to custody once a landlord found out and other tenants complained, so the RSO was evicted and cannot be supervised while homeless, thus a parole revocation.

I am not sure where you are coming up with 6 months of parole with a 3 years to life-to be determined sentence. Illinois has lifetime parole supervision for some RSO's and it appears he is in that category.

Take Care Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-18-2017), trauma4us (11-19-2017), xolady (11-18-2017)