Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Donation Award 

Question Disciplinary credits

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or is in the wrong section. I have heard guards and inmates alike talking about the re-introduction of disciplinary credits. I have been looking online for information regarding this but it's all so confusing. Reading "current: information on the MDOC site seems to indicate that anyone recently incarcerated will receive no benefit, so I'm asking

1- Are disciplinary credits going into effect for current/recently incarcerated prisoners

2- Who is eligible for those credits

3- Does it mean that time will be taken off the time being served now.

Any clarification on this matter would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

I haven't heard of anything being put in place. Currently, there is no good time available. However, said hope I'm wrong and somebody can show us!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprits View Post
I haven't heard of anything being put in place. Currently, there is no good time available. However, said hope I'm wrong and somebody can show us!!!
Yeah that would be awesome. My wife has heard that some inmates are now benefiting at WHV. If it's true or not is unconfirmed.
What's confusing to me is, from what I understand, the previous disciplinary credits were for violent/drug related sentences and didn't pertain to the non violent ones. Guess I should have become a lawyer

Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Donation Award 

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2jt...mcl-800-33.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, disciplinary credits are in force for recently incarcerated prisoners.... I hope.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewolf047 View Post
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2jt...mcl-800-33.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, disciplinary credits are in force for recently incarcerated prisoners.... I hope.
That was taken away in 1999.Its been reintroduced a few times, but never gets passed.
As much as we all hate it, they WILL do their minimum time at least. Prayers that will change someday.

Last edited by Rockstarsmom; 11-22-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Donation Award 

(3) Except as provided in section 34, all prisoners serving a sentence for a crime that was committed on or
after April 1, 1987 are eligible to earn disciplinary and special disciplinary credits as provided in subsection
(5). Disciplinary credits shall be earned, forfeited, and restored as provided in this section. Accumulated
disciplinary credits shall be deducted from a prisoner's minimum and maximum sentence in order to
determine his or her parole eligibility date and discharge date.

Last edited by Nitewolf047; 11-22-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewolf047 View Post
(3) Except as provided in section 34, all prisoners serving a sentence for a crime that was committed on or
after April 1, 1987 are eligible to earn disciplinary and special disciplinary credits as provided in subsection
(5). Disciplinary credits shall be earned, forfeited, and restored as provided in this section. Accumulated
disciplinary credits shall be deducted from a prisoner's minimum and maximum sentence in order to
determine his or her parole eligibility date and discharge date.
It was taken away in 1999

Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Donation Award 

At the bottom of the page....Rendered Monday, November 20, 2017 . This is what's confusing me. If it's not current then why are they rendering it as current? That, along with what I've heard from other prisoners and a few guards. Is this just another cruel joke to lift someone up only to squash them like a bug???

Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Donation Award 

OK so I found this and it's rather discouraging. I suppose the rumors were just that. God I hate how they make navigating all this info so hard!

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...0_578172_7.pdf

Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Anything heard inside, I take with a grain of salt. Pretty much the only thing I trust is the minimum and maximum dates. Anything in between can happen, it's really annoying that people start all these rumors.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

This will never happen. They will do their minimum no matter what. As long as programs are done and they stay out of trouble and are in for a non violent crime the odds are for them. Violent crime is a different story.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
This will never happen. They will do their minimum no matter what. As long as programs are done and they stay out of trouble and are in for a non violent crime the odds are for them. Violent crime is a different story.
I'm beginning to think the odds are stacked against them. Waiting lists for programs a mile long and some inmates don't even have a recommended program such as the case with my wife. She has to choose her own program activity and hope it satisfies the PB. Overcrowding at WHV is seriously affecting inmates abilities to enroll.
As to the overcrowding issue.... it's one big joke. Lansing calls to say they are coming to check it out. The prison shuffles inmates around to make it look like there's empty beds.... Now ask yourself this > Lansing surely has the numbers right in front of them in black and white, so why do they bother with redundant and fake inspections?

Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

If the program doesn't recommend her to take any then they can't use that against her when she comes up for parole. It does look good on her to take some programs though because they will ask her that when the times comes.
They do the inspections to make themselves look good and so they can get their money.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
They do the inspections to make themselves look good and so they can get their money.
Yeah well, Welcome to America. Nuff said